Northernmichiganreef frag/grow out tank.

OP
OP
Tonycass12

Tonycass12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Little bit of electrical to do then I'm on to hanging lights! Planning on picking up some corals to go in to it tomorrow.
20240413_184826.jpg

OP
OP
Tonycass12

Tonycass12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Long nose butterfly got added in last night. Going to go pick up some corals from great lakes corals in Petoskey Michigan this afternoon to drop in here as well as an additional heater and powerhead. I have to grab a couple more chunks of hardware and I'll be able to get my second reefbreeders fixture up.

ReeferB28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Long nose butterfly got added in last night. Going to go pick up some corals from great lakes corals in Petoskey Michigan this afternoon to drop in here as well as an additional heater and powerhead. I have to grab a couple more chunks of hardware and I'll be able to get my second reefbreeders fixture up.
Speaking of lighting, I was thinking about running two of the 48-in OR3 blue Plus bars plus 2 AI Primes over each system.

OP
OP
Tonycass12

Tonycass12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, that's it. I'm getting two of these tubs within the next week and I'll see about ordering the Tenacor overflow boxes. What did those run you, roughly?
45$ each. The weldon 16 is fairly cheap and not too difficult to work with although I would still recommend getting some practice chunks to do some trial runs first. @Tenecor Aquariums may be able to help you out with that when you place your order.
Speaking of lighting, I was thinking about running two of the 48-in OR3 blue Plus bars plus 2 AI Primes over each system.
That may work put depending on what your going for. I know the reefbreeders photons down the center are more than enough power to grow sps over the whole bottom of this tank. I can also run the fixtures high up above the tub and out of the way.

ReeferB28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
45$ each. The weldon 16 is fairly cheap and not too difficult to work with although I would still recommend getting some practice chunks to do some trial runs first. @Tenecor Aquariums may be able to help you out with that when you place your order.

That may work put depending on what your going for. I know the reefbreeders photons down the center are more than enough power to grow sps over the whole bottom of this tank. I can also run the fixtures high up above the tub and out of the way.
$45 each? That's not bad at all.
Honestly, for the growout space you can't beat these tubs for the price. I think I'll grab some weldon 16, and try some practice runs with it.

So, the plan is to have two of these tubs plumbed together on one sump. I already have a 30g sump and a Maxspect Jump 6k return pump sitting around for that. One tank was going to be for SPS, particularly Milleporas and Tenius.

The other one was going to be for flowerpots,Chalices,torches, etc.
So, I was planning on running 4x AI primes, or 4x OR3 Blue plus, or a combo. Idk. What do you think is the best bang for the buck to light up these tubs?

Since I currently have a small aquarium service company, I have access to wholesale. Maybe I should just message Reef breeders directly? I always liked the photon lights, but I've heard mixed reviews on the app.

OP
OP
Tonycass12

Tonycass12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
$45 each? That's not bad at all.
Honestly, for the growout space you can't beat these tubs for the price. I think I'll grab some weldon 16, and try some practice runs with it.

So, the plan is to have two of these tubs plumbed together on one sump. I already have a 30g sump and a Maxspect Jump 6k return pump sitting around for that. One tank was going to be for SPS, particularly Milleporas and Tenius.

The other one was going to be for flowerpots,Chalices,torches, etc.
So, I was planning on running 4x AI primes, or 4x OR3 Blue plus, or a combo. Idk. What do you think is the best bang for the buck to light up these tubs?

Since I currently have a small aquarium service company, I have access to wholesale. Maybe I should just message Reef breeders directly? I always liked the photon lights, but I've heard mixed reviews on the app.
The app is very basic not terrible but also lacking in features. Im a stick head so I'm all sps corals. The reefbreeders are the best bang for the buck for me. I pick them up slightly used too and get them at 1/2 the cost of new. These are long life fixtures too. Adam at battle corals and therman with indoor ecosystems have been using these lights for years.

Keep me posted on your build I always enjoy watching someone else's approach to essentially the same end product.

OP
OP
Tonycass12

Tonycass12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nabbed my magnificent foxface and added him ti the growout tank today. He's one of my bigger fish at 7" and was bumping a lot of corals in my main display.

Moved a lot of corals over that were on my sand bed and got the other reef breeders fixture hung.
20240416_182206.jpg
20240416_180605.jpg
20240416_181052.jpg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 85 56.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.3%
Back