Not ready for a chiller

Chrisfish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
as the tempatures rise outside so is it in my tank.:confused: I'm not prepared to set up a chiller yet, just now getting used to the skimmer:rolleyes:i usually have my tank at 78-79 and right now it's a little over 80. When should I be concerned(everything is fine now) and is there anything besides a chiller I can do? Thanks in advance:)

RyanCSGO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most people try to keep everything at a 2-3 degree swing at most. If my tank stays between 78-80 I'm fine with that. I've heard of people having a tank hit 82-84 without issue and actually say their corals looked very good during it. I'm just not comfortable letting it raise that high :)
Instead of a chiller you can go with a fan to promote water evaporation, it can cool a tank quite a bit.
Tunze makes one, there are several others. There's also tons of DIY of these for really minimal cost using computer fans.

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fans are a good solution and I would try this first. Also heat can be reduced by turning up the AC in the home or by reducing the time the lights are on. In an emergency you could freeze 2 liters filled with RO water or some kind of water containers and float them in the sump. Just make sure if you go with using bottles from the freezer that you start slow as you dont want to lower the temp to fast. The one LFS I used to work in we had to use this method when the AC was not working very well the only issue is that there needs to be a lot of bottles in rotation to keep it going.

OP
OP
Chrisfish

Chrisfish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I was thinking of a fan. I'm ok with 80 but after that I will be worried. We have lots of shade so our house is cool enough right now so we don't need AC ....yet.:D But with lights and pumps my tanks a little warm.

OP
OP
Chrisfish

Chrisfish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fans are a good solution and I would try this first. Also heat can be reduced by turning up the AC in the home or by reducing the time the lights are on. In an emergency you could freeze 2 liters filled with RO water or some kind of water containers and float them in the sump. Just make sure if you go with using bottles from the freezer that you start slow as you dont want to lower the temp to fast. The one LFS I used to work in we had to use this method when the AC was not working very well the only issue is that there needs to be a lot of bottles in rotation to keep it going.
I was actually thinking of that as well, maybe ice cubes. :D

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a ceiling fan over mine, and I like it cold when I sleep.

OP
OP
Chrisfish

Chrisfish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The big thing to remember if ice is being used it can't be allowed to enter the tank as it melts or the salinity will drop.
Very true, I will try the bottles and a fan if needed. Again thanks:)

120reefkeeper

Reef keeping with Military Precision!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1d1e97d309e0cea95a82e5998b732016.jpg

0db51cbd0b85187a9da231cc2afec408.jpg

636ba061a94aab798b661eb31f5795b9.jpg

I use two of these. They work great and they are cheap. 15 bucks each at Target or Walmart .

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you dont mind a little DIY . This is what I do.
12v DC Temp controller and computer fan, OR tank fans(also 12v). 12v supplu plugs into controller, fan plugs in to controller and comes on and off automatically.

This.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/DC-12V-Digi...183857?hash=item35dfc03af1:g:rJgAAOSwzOxUYXt-

And this. You use the power supply from the fan.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00L54ZY4M...qid=1464277781&sr=sr-1&keywords=aquarium+fans

You can get the AC temp controller and control a house fan too up to 2 amps. BUT ITS AC POWER. Safety first.

ksc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why fight it? Your tank will be fine at 82-85 which happens to be what most corals experience in the wild. My tank will run 80-85 in the summer, lights shut off at 83.

AZDesertRat

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This little inexpensive fan has lasted me 6-8 years.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Mast-6-Desk-Clip-Fan-Silver/48947429
Clip it on the side or over the sump if you have one and put it on the same timer or circuit as your lights so it doesn't overcool the tank and cause the heater to come on. Even though I switched to LED's several years ago I still keep a couple around for emergencies.

RyanCSGO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why fight it? Your tank will be fine at 82-85 which happens to be what most corals experience in the wild. My tank will run 80-85 in the summer, lights shut off at 83.
most people are just comfortable with consistency. having one less variable to worry about :)

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
12v DC Temp controller and computer fan, OR tank fans(also 12v). 12v supplu plugs into controller, fan plugs in to controller and comes on and off automatically.

This.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/DC-12V-Digi...183857?hash=item35dfc03af1:g:rJgAAOSwzOxUYXt-

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00L54ZY4M...qid=1464277781&sr=sr-1&keywords=aquarium+fans

You can get the AC temp controller and control a house fan too up to 2 amps. BUT ITS AC POWER. Safety first.
This just gave me a great idea on how to automate my led diy fixture ;)

zoomonster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah as long as you are using AC should be good with just fans but I don't concern myself unless temps start to exceed 82-83 ( normal is 78). I work at home so my air is set at 74 pretty much all but maybe a month of heat in the winter. However like many FL homes I have a properly sized central AC and in the worst heat/humidity of summer It barely keeps the house at 80. Even at that I usually don't have issues with the tank and I have not used a fan yet. I do however have a big ceiling fan in that room that runs pretty much 24x7. Now if this was one of those houses where everyone leaves for work and turns off the AC a chiller would be mandatory. Make sure you have an ATO though. That benefit of running fans comes at the cost of accelerated evaporation which is of course also adding to humidity in your house.

Now when I had MH/T5 it was a whole different story and a reason why I begrudgingly switched to all LED.

OP
OP
Chrisfish

Chrisfish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This.

Well thank you sir! I just ordered one, love Amazon prime!!:D

AZDesertRat

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before my wife retired from the school we had a digital set back thermostat on the house AC so it was quite warm most of the day. Fans did great, never lost a fish or coral or had any issues at all, even when I was still using MH and VHO lighting and had sold my chiller. Heck, we still have a MasterCool evaporative cooler on the house that gets used up until June when the humidity starts going up and fans worked good then too. If my tank is between 78-80 I am happy. The only real downside with fans is they cool by evaporation so your top off will go up significantly.

RyanCSGO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before my wife retired from the school we had a digital set back thermostat on the house AC so it was quite warm most of the day. Fans did great, never lost a fish or coral or had any issues at all, even when I was still using MH and VHO lighting and had sold my chiller. Heck, we still have a MasterCool evaporative cooler on the house that gets used up until June when the humidity starts going up and fans worked good then too. If my tank is between 78-80 I am happy. The only real downside with fans is they cool by evaporation so your top off will go up significantly.
yeah I find myself picking up RODI constantly. I need to just bite the bullet and get a nice RODI system.

AZDesertRat

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best investment you will ever make in the reef hobby, besides being able to use the RO portion for drinking, cooking and icemaker if you add a drinking water kit and check valve.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.3%
Back