Not ready for a chiller

RyanCSGO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would probably save me a ton in the long run. my LFS gives me RODI for free, which is great, but then I'm in the store a lot more looking at all the other stuff I want to spend $ on.

AZDesertRat

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reefkeeping is a sickness!
I find where the RO/DI saves money is not buying all those throw away bottle of drinking water every week. We refill bottles for our use and have the RO hooked to the refrigerator water and icemaker and eliminate several cases of bottled water a month. Less plastic to recycle or dump too.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best investment you will ever make in the reef hobby, besides being able to use the RO portion for drinking, cooking and icemaker if you add a drinking water kit and check valve.
ugh, Im figuring that out right now. Got a link to a diagram of that sir? I have the rodi sys, just seem to be missing the drinkingwater and valve bits,

Tautog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you make ice cubes with RO water then dump a few at a time into sump, isn't that the same as topping off? Adding a chiller is a large expense. In actually, in the wild, the water in the bay's of LI is as cold as 35, and as high as 85. The larger fish will become sluggish, and seek deeper water where it's cooler. But not all, in fact, most fish survive the water temperature changes better than you would think. Tarpon, as well as others travel from Florida every year for a visit to LI.

ksc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you make ice cubes with RO water then dump a few at a time into sump, isn't that the same as topping off? Adding a chiller is a large expense. In actually, in the wild, the water in the bay's of LI is as cold as 35, and as high as 85. The larger fish will become sluggish, and seek deeper water where it's cooler. But not all, in fact, most fish survive the water temperature changes better than you would think. Tarpon, as well as others travel from Florida every year for a visit to LI.

I never understood the thinking when it comes to reef tank temperatures. I mean it's been shown that corals grow faster above 80f, most corals come from areas where the water temps are 80-90, and corals used to temperature swings are far hardier than those kept at a constant temp. I think newer reefers get scared of 80 because the "safe zone" on their thermometer ends at 80.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never understood the thinking when it comes to reef tank temperatures. I mean it's been shown that corals grow faster above 80f, most corals come from areas where the water temps are 80-90, and corals used to temperature swings are far hardier than those kept at a constant temp. I think newer reefers get scared of 80 because the "safe zone" on their thermometer ends at 80.
animals in captivity have far different needs than those in the wild. once you pull them from the wild thier metabolisim changes for the worse(food and light number one for corals plus water pressure). yes many of us let the temps vary, but you have to have a healthy animal and system that the animals have adapted to.
thus the adage stability in a reef tank is key is best for most.
The very exciting research on coral with controller tech is by manipulating light cycles and temp to match seasonal changes we may be able to effectively one day BREED some corals. Not just clone by aqua-culturing and fragging. we have made some corals spawn already on purpose and some hobbiests have this happen by accident.

ksc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I agree stability in certain water parameters is crucial for a successful reef tank, I don't believe temperature is one of them. By keeping the corals at a set temperature you are weakening them and they are less likely to do well when the inevitable occurs.

Imagine the size of the frag plugs when that occurs. Maybe someone will figure out how to implement tissue culture in the coral propagation world...

OP
OP
Chrisfish

Chrisfish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to thank everyone for responding and all of the great suggestions to my dilemma. I used frozen water bottles last night and this morning until UPS showed up with my new aquarium chiller(fan) thank you @saltyfilmfolks !!! Temp. Is holding at 80 right now which is way better than 83 which is what it was creeping up to. You all are the best!!!:D

1979fishgeek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seen some clever DIY chillers, using a fridge and hose pipe coiled inside they looked genius.

ngvu1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What LFS gives out RODI free? :) Anyway, they don't open 24/7 so having your own RO/DI is convenient. But that comes with a problem as well as you will need to take care of it

It would probably save me a ton in the long run. my LFS gives me RODI for free, which is great, but then I'm in the store a lot more looking at all the other stuff I want to spend $ on.

Justin D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 350 gallon aquarium my evaporation is 2 gallons a day when my chiller broke I put a fan over the top of the aquarium then my evaluation was 3.5 gallons a day running the fan dropped my temp 3 degrees now no fan my chiller back on my aquarium and I now I have a backup chiller

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Browner20

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 10" plastic box fans over the sump from Walmart working flawlessly for over a year! Before these two I had one of the Honeywell fans posted earlier for about 4 year but did not like how much room it took up as its kind of chunky. The two 10" fans are flat and actually pull down the temp at least 5* with my metal halides, MH ballast sitting right next to the sump, large external pump, and skimmer pump all producing a tremendous amount of heat.

As one poster mentioned there is a lot of evap so you may want to invest in that RO system and an ATO. My RO is connected to my ATO so all evap is immediately replaced by fresh RO so no issues.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 20 15.0%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 61 45.9%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 46 34.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.3%
Back