Not-so-Sexy budget build - backup system

k2-

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Reefers , Its not going to be a sexy new build but Here is my thought : I have a 6 ft x 18"x24" tank just laying around empty. (not drilled and previously used for fresh water and thoroughly cleaned). I want to have this large tank as one of my wrasse is very agressive and has a 4ft tank just for herself.

Just to be clear this is backup build so not my main display tank. Here is what i am planing to do and i want experts opinion on pros and cons on viability of it

Objective : Only use equipment that I have and not buy anything new (some minor stuff maybe), and should be cheap to operate
1 Ft part of tank :
This part of aquarium is for equipment only
1) Dedicate one part of aquarium where i can put a skimmer raised up for optimal height (perhaps 1 ft area)
2) use in tank varios pump to circulate water as well as create flow with custom plumbing (essentially outflow of varios will create flow) - protect it with a pump bag so fish dont get sucked into it
3) Heater
3) Use a plastic box with deep sand for wrasse to hide into
4) use upgraded - black box LED on 2 ft section of tank for any occasional corals that might require TLC and some softies (I will adjust the light based on coral need manually)
5) Use a DIY algae reactor for nutrient control
6) Throw in all left over rock i have (around hundred pound) into it
7) Only equipment to buy is an ATO (hopefully reef gods will be happy and i can get one from this marketplace for cheap)
8) maintain water height at 10 - 12 inches
9) Manual dosing based on need

From time to time when there are corals in it would like to use all4reef dosing and manual testing.

in a way something that is FOWLR but one section is turn the knob - coral ready. Not expecting it to become a heavy bio load system either.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey Reefers , Its not going to be a sexy new build but Here is my thought : I have a 6 ft x 18"x24" tank just laying around empty. (not drilled and previously used for fresh water and thoroughly cleaned). I want to have this large tank as one of my wrasse is very agressive and has a 4ft tank just for herself.

Just to be clear this is backup build so not my main display tank. Here is what i am planing to do and i want experts opinion on pros and cons on viability of it

Objective : Only use equipment that I have and not buy anything new (some minor stuff maybe), and should be cheap to operate
1 Ft part of tank :
This part of aquarium is for equipment only
1) Dedicate one part of aquarium where i can put a skimmer raised up for optimal height (perhaps 1 ft area)
2) use in tank varios pump to circulate water as well as create flow with custom plumbing (essentially outflow of varios will create flow) - protect it with a pump bag so fish dont get sucked into it
3) Heater
3) Use a plastic box with deep sand for wrasse to hide into
4) use upgraded - black box LED on 2 ft section of tank for any occasional corals that might require TLC and some softies (I will adjust the light based on coral need manually)
5) Use a DIY algae reactor for nutrient control
6) Throw in all left over rock i have (around hundred pound) into it
7) Only equipment to buy is an ATO (hopefully reef gods will be happy and i can get one from this marketplace for cheap)
8) maintain water height at 10 - 12 inches
9) Manual dosing based on need

From time to time when there are corals in it would like to use all4reef dosing and manual testing.

in a way something that is FOWLR but one section is turn the knob - coral ready. Not expecting it to become a heavy bio load system either.
It's difficult to picture what exactly you're saying - but if you could draw a diagram - let's say from the front and the top - it would be easier to visualize. IMHO

OP
OP
k2-

k2-

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This roughly puts it together - All equipment on one side within the same tank and an ATO.

Just the location of sand box is mixed between top and bottom picture but i guess it will be on the right side to avoid sand blowing everywhere

IMG_8120 copy.jpg

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 138 43.3%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 111 34.8%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 49 15.4%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 5.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.6%
Back