Nudibranch diet

Chela101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got this as a gift from my friend for my Bday. And I honestly don’t know what kind it is and its diet…. Other than algae… I have algae wafers and some algea sheets… anything said that could possibly help me is greatly appreciated

IMG_5008.jpeg

IKD

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
so…I believe it’s this but honestly they are extremely difficult to keep based on their exclusive diets (yellow sponge for this one). Please read up and look at options to return it if you cannot meet the care needs. They are very beautiful creatures but best left to the ocean.

Stomatopods17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sadly nudibranchs are one of those “shouldn’t even be collected” animals. They eat a species specific food and often don’t share the same food source with other species of nudibranches.

The one you have is a sponge eater and I don’t believe it’s known exactly what kind of sponge, it’s going to starve.

I’m not sure what exactly the it’s species is but I’m leaning on H. Bullocki

Last edited:

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, likely Hypselodoris apolegma - a sponge eater that will starve in your tank; it will not eat anything other than a few highly specific sponges.

At this stage of the hobby, I agree with the comments above that these animals really shouldn't be collected.
Hypselodoris sp. probably Hypselodoris apolegma. These guys reportedly eat sponges, specifically "a blue-purple dysideid sponge of the genus Euryspongia"* and possibly a few other sponges as well (such as the red sponge in question in the link below where I pulled the quote above from; importantly, these guys do not eat any sponge offered them - sponges are a very diverse group, and nudibranchs are incredibly picky).

Edit: the link.
Yeah, H. bullocki and H. apolegma look super similar (and they were thought to be the same species until very recently), as does H. variobranchia. My understanding (which may be wrong) of how to differentiate between H. bullocki and H. apolegma is the spotting around the skirt (no spots meaning H. bullocki, with spots meaning H. apolegma).

OP
OP
Chela101

Chela101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, likely Hypselodoris apolegma - a sponge eater that will starve in your tank; it will not eat anything other than a few highly specific sponges.

At this stage of the hobby, I agree with the comments above that these animals really shouldn't be collected.
Well honestly not even my local shops know how to take care of it because they told me to give it seaweed…. So either someone takes him off my hands which sucks because it was a gift…..

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well honestly not even my local shops know how to take care of it because they told me to give it seaweed…. So either someone takes him off my hands which sucks because it was a gift…..
Yeah, an unfortunate number of shops sell these sorts of critters either mistakenly believing they'll eat something in our tanks or just flat out lying about what they eat - it's a very unfortunate practice.

IKD

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I wouldn’t feel bad giving it away. Your friend basically gave you a pet that’s impossible to care for. If anyone should feel bad it should be them, right? Maybe try a local aquarium or another pet store? Sorry, I wish there were more options to offer you.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 95 76.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 12.0%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.4%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back