Numbered Tips for Newbies - What is the worst mistake you have made when starting a reef tank?

OfficeReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happy February R2R!

While reading a post from someone who meant well, I realized it might be good time this year with those getting tax refunds to remind people of the lessons learned in starting a successful reef tank. Too many times on this forum, I read those that get started in nano tanks and then attempt to add a tang or a predatory fish, sometimes inverts and other creatures that are too big for them and their abode. While the "how many and which fish can I put in the nano tank" or "how do I get rid of algae questions" appear to be some of the more common items that probably need stickies on, I thought I'd start one with common errors and wisdom older reefers would like to impart to those new to the hobby.

For those adding to this thread, if you have a new tip, please add a new number to your post so that it can easily be identified. If you have a comment or something to add but is not new, please leave a comment on the thread. For those that may feel there's more to add, please quote the numbered post to add additional context.

So to start the year off right in the month of Aquarius, here's mine to share.
  1. Starting any type of tank without owning and understanding use of water test kits. When I got started in 2008, I repurposed a 55gal turtle tank but had no idea how much waste fish could add as the tank was new and nothing existed to consume that waste nor was I prepared to test it. This is true for nano owners looking at and making compatibility charts, as it doesn't matter how many are compatible if the tank cannot handle the volume of waste. All those in the hobby should start with the ability to test for temp, pH, salinity, phosphates and nitrates. Many of us will also recommend to test for alkalinity and if you are keeping corals, be prepared to test regularly for alkalinity, in addition to calcium and magnesium. As for brands of test kits, there are quite a few and some seem to work better for others but the most important aspect is consistent use and consistent procedure when doing the tests. If you are not doing this, expect to encounter problems sooner than later.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2. When setting up a new tank and doing the plumbing pay attention to what could cause a siphon.

When I setup my current tank I allowed a siphon from my ATO to the sump and didn’t realize my error until I was standing in a puddle of water on my floor.

Opi coral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3. Adding fish too fast. Also too many too fast.
I think this is very important for beginners. we have been keeping a reef tank for about 18 months now.
We have has great success and bad failure. You must research all the fish, invertebrates and corals before adding them to your tank. Its not much fun watching your new purchase fighting to the death with an excysting tank mate. There really isn't any excuse a good book, you tube or ask the seller before you come away from the shop. Evan now ill check on google while I'm at the shop.

CoastalTownLayabout

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4. Master the basics first

Mixed reefs can be a challenge for intermediate and even more experienced hobbyists. It’s better to have success with easy to keep corals with similar care requirements than failure trying to cater to a range of corals with disparate care requirements.

Nailing a similar species or species specific tank first time will give you confidence and trust in your reefing techniques and set you up for bigger and better projects.

I’d encourage any beginner with a 20g or less system to follow this path.

South Carolina reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plan for the future. Inevitably you will want to add or expand your tank with other items that need to be plumbed or electrified. Think long term. I made this mistake and had to replumb my system.

Gregpetro

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would have to say using tap water for my first reef tank and blasting the lights at 100% day one as everthing was a rush to get fish asa. Now I would NEVER use tap water and leave the lights off for the first 2 to 3 months. Patience is key. Nothing good happens fast.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dry rock. More trouble than it's worth.

Gobi1canobi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been reefing a long time now but my biggest mistake in the beginning was adding too many fish too fast.
I may have just made that error? Algae bloom actually thinking it’s Dino’s! Some bushes and some slime both brown? Also like green coralline if that’sa thing? I hear pods will take care of most and some say it will take care of itself

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I may have just made that error? Algae bloom actually thinking it’s Dino’s! Some bushes and some slime both brown? Also like green coralline if that’sa thing? I hear pods will take care of most and some say it will take care of itself
Usually if you just stay the course things will right themself. Make sure that your tank does have nitrates and phosphates and maybe dose Seachem Stability a couple of times a week.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 20.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 76 34.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 9.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.3%

Back