Nutrient Rich

Carl C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WWC says

“Zoanthid corals do best in rich nutrient tanks where they can filter feed daily.”

What does Nutrient Rich mean

Thanks

bobby.w.hodges

Wet Thumb
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nutrients refers to nitrates and phosphates. Most sps tanks have around 2-5 ppm nitrate and around .03 ppm phosphate. Being nutrient rich would be closer to 15-25 ppm nitrate and .1 ppm phosphate. Unless you are an experienced reefer with tons of equipment to control these values (which I'm pretty sure you aren't) you should have no problem achieving those numbers. Just don't have super clean water and you will be fine.

OP
OP
Carl C

Carl C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nutrients refers to nitrates and phosphates. Most sps tanks have around 2-5 ppm nitrate and around .03 ppm phosphate. Being nutrient rich would be closer to 15-25 ppm nitrate and .1 ppm phosphate. Unless you are an experienced reefer with tons of equipment to control these values (which I'm pretty sure you aren't) you should have no problem achieving those numbers. Just don't have super clean water and you will be fine.

Thanks for such a great explanation
-Carl

k2-

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Usually my obervation has been nitrates not being an issue (except once when i had to do a 99% water change) - but phosphate control. I observed that golden ratio (100:1) for nitrate and phosphate is difficult to maintain - as nitrates are getting absorbed much faster in my system than phosphates - and hence a regular dose of phosphate RX to avoid algae . Not sure if i am missing something.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 14 34.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 39.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 8 19.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 2 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.4%
Back