OP
jabberwock

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, huge observation tonight after scraping glass, cyano cleanup (which is getting better), water change. Blue neon cleaner goby was actually allowed to clean the Carpenter's Wrasse!

IMG_6527.jpg

OP
OP
jabberwock

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are things doing?
Really great! Couple minor issues...
My urchin is eating my laptestrea.
IMG_6602.jpg

IMG_6605.jpg

I need to add some sand after siphoning a bunch out to remove cyano that I got from adding AB+ coral food. I backed off on volume of feeding, and stopped AB+ and stopped feeding pellets for now. The cyano is all but gone (took three weeks). You can see the bottom glass on the left hand side of the pic.

IMG_6616.jpg

OP
OP
jabberwock

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will trim back the red macro algae tomorrow, and hopefully add 5 pounds of new sand.
IMG_6615.jpg

In other news, my neon blue cleaner goby and the Carpenter's wrasse are now best of buds. Lil' Blue has even started cleaning the purple fire fish! Will try and get some videos.

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like it is coming along. Glad this time around it is going better for you!

OP
OP
jabberwock

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today's odd corner is from the sin bin.
It currently houses one hermit crab and one gorilla crab. I never test parameters, I never change filtration, I have not done a water change in a year. Once in a while I scrape the algae of the glass. Last night the gorilla crab was kite surfing...
IMG_6647.jpg

It was dangling from the single strand of red macro algae at the top of the treehouse. It usually just hides, so this was strange.
IMG_6650.jpg

I was able to give it a frozen clam from my fingers. It was very happy and drug the clam into the chimney at the top of the treehouse.
IMG_6649.jpg

It was an interesting interaction.

Brian-222

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back up to Sept 30th, I removed the cycled rocks and media from the 15 gallon, and started the IM 25 gallon. It would run for just over a week before I returned from Tampa with the live rock.

image2 (2).jpeg

While walking the beach at Indian Rocks Beach, I discovered a large clump of macro algae rolling around in the surf. I checked the fishing regs and since I had a saltwater fishing license, I was allowed to harvest a 5 gallon bucket of it. I only took a medium sized chunk, and stuck it in a bucket with a bubbler. We would leave the next day.

macro.jpeg

We picked up the rocks in a Lowe's parking lot, and drove the 8 hours home where I immediately unpacked the box. It was more important in my mind to make haste than to take pictures, so I have none. However the rock was packed very well, in water, double bagged, in a cooler. I immediately saw the urchin and lots of macros. It far exceeded my expectations. Remember, this is the "Premium" rock. I let it sit for a week bare bottom with strong flow, and fished out a few undesirables, but overall the rock was awesome.

Tiny polyclad flatform (damaged by my tweezers)
image4.jpeg

Gorilla crab the size of my pinky nail.
IMG_5075.jpg

Whelk
IMG_5060.jpg

Several decorator crabs
image3 (4).jpeg

Predatory worm of some time (he was attacking the whelk)
IMG_5033.jpg

Red Mithrax crab (size of my pinky nail) I had kept the 15 gallon wet, and I started a hitchhiker tank called the Sin Bin. This is the Mithrax grown up after several months.
IMG_5356.jpg

And then I added Freddie 2. He has just gone missing by the way. Have not seen him in 3 or 4 days while I am in the middle of an ich flare up. I assume the worst. I kept a softball sized chunk of the red macro I picked up on the beach and gave the rest to my LFS. They were quite pleased.

image2 (4).jpeg
How many pounds of premium live rock from TBS did you use in your 25 gallon lagoon style tank?

OP
OP
jabberwock

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many pounds of premium live rock from TBS did you use in your 25 gallon lagoon style tank?
20 pounds of TBS premium. A couple pounds of live rock from 2 separate LFSs, and a pound of ceramic cylinders. to cycle the tank before adding TBS rock. I let it all sit together for a couple weeks, and then moved the LFS live rock and ceramic to a smaller secondary tank. The sin bin is where I kept bad hitchhikers. Now it is a macro algae grow out tank.

Keep in mind that I did local pickup, so my TBS rock spent < 12 hours packaged.

Brian-222

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back up to Sept 30th, I removed the cycled rocks and media from the 15 gallon, and started the IM 25 gallon. It would run for just over a week before I returned from Tampa with the live rock.

image2 (2).jpeg

While walking the beach at Indian Rocks Beach, I discovered a large clump of macro algae rolling around in the surf. I checked the fishing regs and since I had a saltwater fishing license, I was allowed to harvest a 5 gallon bucket of it. I only took a medium sized chunk, and stuck it in a bucket with a bubbler. We would leave the next day.

macro.jpeg

We picked up the rocks in a Lowe's parking lot, and drove the 8 hours home where I immediately unpacked the box. It was more important in my mind to make haste than to take pictures, so I have none. However the rock was packed very well, in water, double bagged, in a cooler. I immediately saw the urchin and lots of macros. It far exceeded my expectations. Remember, this is the "Premium" rock. I let it sit for a week bare bottom with strong flow, and fished out a few undesirables, but overall the rock was awesome.

Tiny polyclad flatform (damaged by my tweezers)
image4.jpeg

Gorilla crab the size of my pinky nail.
IMG_5075.jpg

Whelk
IMG_5060.jpg

Several decorator crabs
image3 (4).jpeg

Predatory worm of some time (he was attacking the whelk)
IMG_5033.jpg

Red Mithrax crab (size of my pinky nail) I had kept the 15 gallon wet, and I started a hitchhiker tank called the Sin Bin. This is the Mithrax grown up after several months.
IMG_5356.jpg

And then I added Freddie 2. He has just gone missing by the way. Have not seen him in 3 or 4 days while I am in the middle of an ich flare up. I assume the worst. I kept a softball sized chunk of the red macro I picked up on the beach and gave the rest to my LFS. They were quite pleased.

image2 (4).jpeg
How many pounds of premium live rock from TBS did you use in your 25 gallon lagoon style tank
20 pounds of TBS premium. A couple pounds of live rock from 2 separate LFSs, and a pound of ceramic cylinders. to cycle the tank before adding TBS rock. I let it all sit together for a couple weeks, and then moved the LFS live rock and ceramic to a smaller secondary tank. The sin bin is where I kept bad hitchhikers. Now it is a macro algae grow out tank.

Keep in mind that I did local pickup, so my TBS rock spent < 12 hours packaged.
Thank you!

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 30 35.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 11 12.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 27 31.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 15 17.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.4%
Back