christianscorals

Water Bender
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this is my true, real deal weeping willow. nothing comes close to it.

Attachments

• A6C9B8DC-2DDB-4D6C-B411-EF0D54532362.jpeg
    A6C9B8DC-2DDB-4D6C-B411-EF0D54532362.jpeg
    182.6 KB · Views: 148

RyanN

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this is my true, real deal weeping willow. nothing comes close to it.
I have TCN weeping willow, aquacorals weeping willow and Whitlyn aquatics weeping willow and you're correct mine are nothing close to that. Nice coral! Will you frag it someday? If you do I'd love a frag.

08TRDOFFROAD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey. that’s one of my babies! this is the momma. i have some frags if anyone is interested. although the polyps are longer than a traditional toadstool, this is not a true weeping willow. though it is rare to come across, i would consider it more as a cousin to the willow.
That is beautiful!

OP
OP
jtone_philthy_aquatics

jtone_philthy_aquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i apologize for leaving y’all hanging on this thread! I got home tonight and snapped a few shots just as the lights were going out for the night. Keep in mind the radion and both ai primes are only displaying blue spec during this photo. Under full spec during the day this weeping willow has a very nice creamy color overall but up near the polyps under full spec you can see hints of oranges where the polyp hands meet the long strands. Sorry to keep y’all waiting!

(pls ignore the dirty glass and the cyano rocks at the bottom I swear I’m doing a deep clean right after I give ya these updated photos)

IMG_7648.jpeg
IMG_7631.jpeg
IMG_7651.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_7638.jpeg
    IMG_7638.jpeg
    175.6 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_7649.jpeg
    IMG_7649.jpeg
    244.7 KB · Views: 60
OP
OP
jtone_philthy_aquatics

jtone_philthy_aquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey. that’s one of my babies! this is the momma. i have some frags if anyone is interested. although the polyps are longer than a traditional toadstool, this is not a true weeping willow. though it is rare to come across, i would consider it more as a cousin to the willow.
No I didn’t purchase this from you this is bahamalamas lineage

OP
OP
jtone_philthy_aquatics

jtone_philthy_aquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those original pics I posted weren’t a great example initially due to how small that frag actually was. I won’t argue whether this is the OG or not because I don’t have any way of truly proving that. I called it that and I was super excited about it because it came from the line bahama lama sold at 1-2 swaps here in Missouri (st Louis) he documented that on his channel. One of the dudes that bought one of his frags grew it out for a while and later on down the road I got one of the 2 lil frags he brought to that last St. Louis swap. I considered it a real og mainly because there was so much hype built up online about bl having the real thing. Ik reef builders spoke on it and some other YouTubers were hyped about it so…. Idk lol. Tbh after all the years I’ve been keeping tanks I just like the fact that this specific lineage has a bit of a story behind it here in the states. Thats good enough for me. If it isn’t the real thing then it’s not lol… oh well

OP
OP
jtone_philthy_aquatics

jtone_philthy_aquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
here’s a few daytime photos of the toadstool when it was still pretty new. I should’ve waited until tm to post some full spec pics
IMG_7658.png
IMG_7657.png

08TRDOFFROAD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i apologize for leaving y’all hanging on this thread! I got home tonight and snapped a few shots just as the lights were going out for the night. Keep in mind the radion and both ai primes are only displaying blue spec during this photo. Under full spec during the day this weeping willow has a very nice creamy color overall but up near the polyps under full spec you can see hints of oranges where the polyp hands meet the long strands. Sorry to keep y’all waiting!

(pls ignore the dirty glass and the cyano rocks at the bottom I swear I’m doing a deep clean right after I give ya these updated photos)

IMG_7648.jpeg
IMG_7631.jpeg
IMG_7651.jpeg
Very nice!

OP
OP
jtone_philthy_aquatics

jtone_philthy_aquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Other than dealing with a wave of aiptasia, everything's going great in the Red Sea. I've kicked off a successful berghia breeding project in a dedicated system, but now I'm overwhelmed with nudibranchs. They've done such a thorough cleaning job that I'll have to rehome some soon. Meanwhile, the toadstool coral has grown significantly, to the point where it's overshadowing other corals. While it's become an impressive showpiece, it's definitely time for a trim.

Now that it's really grown out, I have to say, this toadstool from Remy's lineage bears some striking resemblance to a true OG weeping willow toadstool. However, I'm fully aware it's not the authentic OG variety that circulated in the states back in the early/mid-2000s. Among the 4 or 5 different types of long polyp toadstool leathers I have, all marketed as 'weeping willow toadstools,' this one stands out. Its polyps might actually be slightly longer than the actual length of the toadstool's crown and stalk. Unlike the others I own, its polyps sway more freely, even with the heavy flow in my display tank the other “weeping willow” toadstools have fairly stiff polyps when they are fully extended. This variant has free flowing polyps that dwarf the others that I have. While fully extended a good amount of them will lay over the side with no flow but not all of them follow suit. I'm still glad I stumbled across this piece and added it to my collection because it's truly unique when compared side by side with other 'weeping willows' that thrive in the same display. With that said, I'll likely take some cuts from this piece soon. If anyone's interested in a frag, I can let you know when they're available, healed up, and attached to a solid base (either Marco rubble or a standard frag plug). I just wanted to be extra clear that I’m aware that it’s not what was around back in the day but it’s closer than most that are sold as being the real thing on the market right now.

IMG_0095.jpeg
IMG_0094.jpeg
IMG_0087.jpeg
IMG_0074.jpeg
IMG_0045.jpeg
IMG_0044.jpeg
IMG_0028.jpeg
IMG_0029.jpeg
IMG_0030.jpeg
IMG_0036.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_0051.jpeg
    IMG_0051.jpeg
    234.8 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_0028.jpeg
    IMG_0028.jpeg
    240 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0035.jpeg
    IMG_0035.jpeg
    256.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0053.jpeg
    IMG_0053.jpeg
    246.3 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_0052.jpeg
    IMG_0052.jpeg
    245 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0034.jpeg
    IMG_0034.jpeg
    263.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0036.jpeg
    IMG_0036.jpeg
    289.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0045.jpeg
    IMG_0045.jpeg
    241.1 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_0087.jpeg
    IMG_0087.jpeg
    248.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0093.jpeg
    IMG_0093.jpeg
    243.7 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_0094.jpeg
    IMG_0094.jpeg
    248.3 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0095.jpeg
    IMG_0095.jpeg
    243.2 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_0068.jpeg
    IMG_0068.jpeg
    274 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0067.jpeg
    IMG_0067.jpeg
    279.5 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_0060.jpeg
    IMG_0060.jpeg
    231.2 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0061.jpeg
    IMG_0061.jpeg
    225.1 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_0062.jpeg
    IMG_0062.jpeg
    248.7 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0053.jpeg
    IMG_0053.jpeg
    246.3 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0052.jpeg
    IMG_0052.jpeg
    245 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0051.jpeg
    IMG_0051.jpeg
    234.8 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0044.jpeg
    IMG_0044.jpeg
    238.7 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0049.jpeg
    IMG_0049.jpeg
    236.3 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0047.jpeg
    IMG_0047.jpeg
    228 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0088.jpeg
    IMG_0088.jpeg
    250.4 KB · Views: 18

HiggsUSA

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Other than dealing with a wave of aiptasia, everything's going great in the Red Sea. I've kicked off a successful berghia breeding project in a dedicated system, but now I'm overwhelmed with nudibranchs. They've done such a thorough cleaning job that I'll have to rehome some soon. Meanwhile, the toadstool coral has grown significantly, to the point where it's overshadowing other corals. While it's become an impressive showpiece, it's definitely time for a trim.

Now that it's really grown out, I have to say, this toadstool from Remy's lineage bears some striking resemblance to a true OG weeping willow toadstool. However, I'm fully aware it's not the authentic OG variety that circulated in the states back in the early/mid-2000s. Among the 4 or 5 different types of long polyp toadstool leathers I have, all marketed as 'weeping willow toadstools,' this one stands out. Its polyps might actually be slightly longer than the actual length of the toadstool's crown and stalk. Unlike the others I own, its polyps sway more freely, even with the heavy flow in my display tank the other “weeping willow” toadstools have fairly stiff polyps when they are fully extended. This variant has free flowing polyps that dwarf the others that I have. While fully extended a good amount of them will lay over the side with no flow but not all of them follow suit. I'm still glad I stumbled across this piece and added it to my collection because it's truly unique when compared side by side with other 'weeping willows' that thrive in the same display. With that said, I'll likely take some cuts from this piece soon. If anyone's interested in a frag, I can let you know when they're available, healed up, and attached to a solid base (either Marco rubble or a standard frag plug). I just wanted to be extra clear that I’m aware that it’s not what was around back in the day but it’s closer than most that are sold as being the real thing on the market right now.

IMG_0095.jpeg
IMG_0094.jpeg
IMG_0087.jpeg
IMG_0074.jpeg
IMG_0045.jpeg
IMG_0044.jpeg
IMG_0028.jpeg
IMG_0029.jpeg
IMG_0030.jpeg
IMG_0036.jpeg
Sign me up for a frag!

Big E

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Click pic for video--

Weeping willow 052024 by Big E 52, on Flickr
Any toadstool with very long sweeping tentacles is sweet. I love my fluorescent green weeping willow when the flow is on...........could care less what it looks like when the flow is off. This is still small..........the disc is approx 2.5-3" and the tentacles are insanely long:)

Caption This Contest OFFICIAL VOTING POLL! (make a post in this thread and you could win a prize too)

• "What do you mean?! I am smiling!

• "Did she really just rejoin the ReefAholics Anonymous group...AGAIN?!"

• "Take a look at the new Sexy Shrimp!"

• "I'm funny how, I mean funny like I'm a clownfish? I amuse you?"

• "Looks like your living room is going through the ugly stage"

• "Aghhh! Go put on your makeup before feeding me, please!"

• "You try eating sand and not get constipated!"

• "Everyone, hide! The landlord is coming!"

• "He touched the butt!"

• "They forgot to shut off the RO line and left for work...AGAIN"

• "Get off my sand!"

• "What do you mean I can't say that on a family friendly forum?"

• "My face looking over my bank statement after a reef show..."

• "Kids, you're grounded! Get back in my mouth!"

• "When you see a human with a bucket and know somethings is about to go down."

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back