Ok so I did it... I officially ordered my first marine aquarium...

CFQTPye

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm so excited. I ordered my first marine aquarium and bit the bullet on a Red Sea C250. Next weekend i'll be setting it up and starting to layout my live rock. The gentleman at the store recommended I set up the tank and get a hardy fish to put in the tank to help it cycle. Everything I've read says to wait. Does anyone have words of wisdom?

Also I want to put substrate on the bottom but am hearing mixed reviews. It's my understanding that the trend is no substrate on the bottom. What are everyone's thoughts on this?

Any input and words of wisdom are appreciated. I plan on taking my time and not rushing this process.

I'll also need to get test kits, aquarium salt and all other ephemera. Any recommendations on what's the best?

Thank you all in advance

mike007

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the hobby and r2r. My advice Is to be very patient and read all you can.

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The substrate bit is a matter of preference. Some people find bare bottom easier to clean, which helps keep the water quality way up if you like SPS. On the other hand, some fish need a sand bed, and I personally really prefer the look of having it. It is also a home for some helpful creatures, as well as another dwelling place for beneficial bacteria.

KillerKlownFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome!
Here's my info and 2 cents
I got Red Sea 130d 9 months ago. I. No expert, I just wished someone would have explained this to me when I started.

I put live rock live sand( crushed coral) it cycled very fast. Next up was snails and hermits.
I waited a few more weeks to add a fish. I was about 2 months in.
Recently I switched the CC to black sand.

Now sand or crushed coral? Depends on what type of fish you want!
Fish?... Depends on if you want coral. Some fish will eat coral.

Is it fish only tank? Make a list of which fish you want. Determine if you want Sand or CC.

Here's ways to start: put in sand then add water slowly then add the rock. With the water in there it's easier to move the rock around. Just don't fill the tank all the way up.

Another way is to put plastic crate on the bottom then add the rock put the sand over it all so helps the rock stay put. Now slowly add water try not to move the sand around too much.

Don't mess with the rock too much if it's unstable adding sand or water too fast can make it slip and a rock slide is bad cause it will scratch your glass.

Don't overload your tank with rock some tanks look amazing with just a bit. You can always add a bit more as the tank matures. Keep the rock a good distance from the glass so you can clean it. If it's close you can't get the magnet cleaner btw glass and rock.

Hope I helped best of luck keep us posted!

vic67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't like cycling with fish. I think it's cruel. Take your time and add fish slowly after the cycle finishes.

I like having sand (aragonite) bc I like the way it looks. If you're planning on having a lot of flow in your tank you might opt for regular or coarse rather than fine sand.
I recommend a refractometer; it's much more accurate than a hydrometer.
And I use Instant Ocean Reef Crystals but everyone has their favorite.

carolynthefairyprincess

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! Congrats :) it's a great hobby. I suggest putting the rocks directly on the bottom of the tank first, and then add the sand. This is especially important if you want anything that moves sand around like a goby or certain snails or shrimp. Some will dig tunnels under the sand and can cause a rock slide.

Do decide on fish early! It keeps impulse buying down and will save you $$$$$.

+1 on the refractometer! It provides tank stability and keeps all the animals super happy :)

I used black aragonite. I love the way it looks but I think it also impacts the way light reflects and bounces around in the tank. I have really strong lights, so it's not a big deal, but if you aren't going with something with very high output, I would go with a white.

Also, decide if you even WANT things that burrow in the sand etc. Then you can always have a bare bottom :)

And of course, read read read read! :) best of luck!!

OP
OP
C

CFQTPye

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GTBarsi, do you recommend an RO/DI filter? Approx. what should I expect to spend.

Also, the day I setup the tank and put in the saltwater mix is that the same day I put in the live rock or should I wait a couple days before I do that?

I appreciate your patience. I've done a TON of reading 6 books so far and none give real details so I'm asking a question at the risk of looking stupid, I'm a super NEWB!

Best,
Corinne

rarelyseriousb

give a pound
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always water test my tanks in the driveway before the house. Fill it up and let it sit overnight check for leaks and water level in the morning. Are you using line rock or another type of ? I have always made my my salt first in another vessel. Lay out my rock. Then add sand. Then add water. Also it's a good idea to secure the rock to a structure out each other.

carolynthefairyprincess

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Corinne, you don't have to get a ro/di filter off the bat. They require plumbing etc. I buy all my ro/di water from my fish store, and that has worked great for me thus far :) I would definitely do the water fastness test to check for leaks, and you can add it all on the same day :) hope that helps!

(No such things as stupid questions!)

CastAway

Prone to wander, never lost.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When making the decision to buy your own RO/DI or not, remember that having to go to your local fish store to buy water puts one in a very likely spot to make other, and frequent, purchases. Thus, the ultimate cost of not having your own RO/DI can be more than meets the eye, depending on your self discipline.

Myself, I have a hard time walking into any fish store and not buying something, even things I know I can get at a much reduced price on-line.

Just something to think about.

Wild1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No matter what the gentleman says DO NOT cycle your tank with Damsels! This Is the voice of experience speaking!

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, 'cuz you can't get the durned things out again XD not to mention there's no reason to do that to them.

Absolutely get the Spectrapure RODI.

Vpham

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:welcome:
Yeah, 'cuz you can't get the durned things out again XD not to mention there's no reason to do that to them.

Absolutely get the Spectrapure RODI.
+1 on NOT TO CYCLE WITH DAMSEL...LOL
U just put a piece frozen shrimp or krill and bacteria 7 from Brightwell to cycle ur tank. Food gets rotten and bacteria feeds of and colonized themself. Keep testing water for ammonia and nitrite. ...
Good luck and :welcome:)

OP
OP
C

CFQTPye

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so I don't know the inside joke on the Damsel? I know they're a hardy fish and I would never sacrifice a life or put one in jeopardy for the sake of cycling my tank, i'd rather wait. Can you fill me in on the DL on the Damsel?

I was looking into somewhere down the line getting a or a couple goldtail damoiselles (because they're comfortable in groups as i've read) I've also read they're of the "friendlier" kind but would LOVE some inside information on them.

I've picked out most of the corals, fishes and crustaceans I want to get... prepped my excel spreadsheet to organize, lighting, food, current, and demeanor to ensure I've done my best to create a "Peaceful" tank. Of course I plan on taking my time with the stocking. I pick up my tank on Sunday (SO excited).

I've decided to do Bimini Pink sand for my tank as I like the lighter color substrate with some broken shell (not alot), and it doesn't seem too fine to create "sandstorms". Opinions?

Thanks as always,
Corinne

Acro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I was one tricked into doing the damsel cycling -_- let's just say they are devils spawns and good luck getting them out.

On another note as much as I don't like them, it is cruel.

Vpham

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not about joke seriously. It's just that they r so cruel when established, when it comes to time to introduce new fish, damsel mostly will harassing new fish, that causes stress on new guy and survival rate very low...This is my personal experience as many others had learned.
As always, it's ur tank and the choice is all urs...

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Corinne, you don't have to get a ro/di filter off the bat. They require plumbing etc. I buy all my ro/di water from my fish store, and that has worked great for me thus far :) I would definitely do the water fastness test to check for leaks, and you can add it all on the same day :) hope that helps!

(No such things as stupid questions!)

Im sorry but I would strongly disagree with not needing to get a RO/DI right off the bat if you have means to hook one up at home Then that unit should be budgeted in to your set up cost, For the plumbing part of it , That's a 10 min job to hook and plumb one up. Heck you can hook one up to your water spigot and drain it in your yard or on you plants. You can get a nice RO/DI unit for about 150 to 200 bucks. Trust me it is a pain in the *** to have to worry about going to the store everytime you want to do a water change and pray to god the store you get it from changes out there filters like they should. Besides it never hurys to have fresh water on hand in case of a emergence.

Just my 2 cents

fishroomlady

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First off, welcome to the wonderful saltwater hobby! I like the choice you made on the sand. mix your saltwater (using RO/DI for sure) - you can do it in the tank with a couple of powerheads preferably and then add your rock to the bottom of the tank and add in your sand last. I would suggest using a shrimp and some beneficial bacteria (microbacter 7 is great) and let the cycle run its course - it sounds like you know to take your time. Get your water up to temperature as well during this process.

In terms of the gold tailed damsels, they can be less aggressive but it's really hit or miss with any damsel (clowns included) in that they can become territorial and aggressive. If you want to consider damsels, look at adding them last or toward the end of your stocking is a good idea.

come to the forums for advice! I wish these things existed when I started out in the hobby. The forums were so helpful when I made the transition from a FOWLR (fish only with live rock) to a reef tank. Ask as many questions as you'd like. That's in part why all of us hang out here :)

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 102 75.6%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.1%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.9%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back