Old RO/DI water, been sitting for 2 weeks.

DoINeedAName?

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have some RO/DI water that was made before I needed it but then it was stored in a trash can. It smells odd now so I’m assuming I can’t use it but someone suggested asking if there was a way I could “clean” it. This seems far fetched to me, but I’ll humor them. It would be nice to not have to throw out this water.

Dierks

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was it covered? If it was than you can use that water... I have had water sit for a week or two. If you wanted to clean it all you would have to do is run a carbon reactor in it for a day.

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm curious what "trash can" means. Brute or similar polyethylene bin like many use?

I feel like 2 weeks is easily no problem but wonder what kind of smell you're having.

I use 2 week (or even a month) old RO/DI all the time with no issues and have even used salt water stored (in capped Sparkletts bottles) for weeks or even a month,,, but would worry if I smelled something "off", I guess.

I've had the "cat pee" smell from Brute when new and empty (capped in summer heat) but not sure if that's what you're talking about.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mix up a brute can of rodi and saltwater every 2 weeks so I regularly use 2 week old water. Mine has the cat pee ammonia smell sometimes but I still use it and it’s never caused an issue.
I agree with above that what it smells like would determine if I’d be willing to use it.

OP
OP
D

DoINeedAName?

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm curious what "trash can" means. Brute or similar polyethylene bin like many use?

I feel like 2 weeks is easily no problem but wonder what kind of smell you're having.

I use 2 week (or even a month) old RO/DI all the time with no issues and have even used salt water stored (in capped Sparkletts bottles) for weeks or even a month,,, but would worry if I smelled something "off", I guess.

I've had the "cat pee" smell from Brute when new and empty (capped in summer heat) but not sure if that's what you're talking about.
It was a brute trash can.

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From time to time, I take my Brute Containers outside, picking a breezy day. Spray and brush them out, to get rid of the loose stuff. Acid wash them with Ten Parts water, One Part Hydrochloric Acid. You only need about a Quart of the Acid Solution, just pour it down the sides. Stay Up Wind!!! Let soak, and rinse with plenty of tap water. BTW, I’ve worked with Hydrochloric Acid for over 40 years, cleaning AC Water Condensers. Never got Burned. I’m not a proponent of using Gloves around Acids. Keep a Bucket of Clean Water near, and keep washing your hands in it. Lab Style Googles are a must, also a Face Shield is wise.

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

DoINeedAName?

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have some RO/DI water that was made before I needed it but then it was stored in a trash can. It smells odd now so I’m assuming I can’t use it but someone suggested asking if there was a way I could “clean” it. This seems far fetched to me, but I’ll humor them. It would be nice to not have to throw out this water.
I should have added this earlier, but it was brought up that there was some salt in the water. Not enough to be at the necessary salinity, just some.

OP
OP
D

DoINeedAName?

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The smell is most likely bacteria growth. That being said plain RODI water shouldn’t go bad in that short period of time. I’d personally still use it and have had this happen.
A. There was salt in the water, I’ve just recently found this out. B. I believe it’s a smell from algae. The sides of the trash can (interior) are mildly slick in some places.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 7 6.7%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 83 79.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.8%
Back