Ro/DI use Ro for drinking water

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So Ilike most have an RO/DI machine, I have my RO separated from the DI through a 3 way valve. Can I shut off the DI and just use the Ro for water for our coffee maker? My system is in the garage not under the sink. This picture does the show the valves, just putting it together.
20220311_120321.jpg

Raul-7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely; most soda machines and legit coffee shops use RO water.

Avoids hard water stains and the beverage always tastes better with RO water as the base.

OP
OP
Blue Spot Octopus

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great thanks, everyone. Now I do not have to go and get the 6 pack of 1 gallon water bottles as much.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t drink plain RO water it’s not healthy. But can use to make coffee
Can you document this statement? My family and I have been drinking RO water for over 10 years and I've never heard of it being unhealthy. I have heard DI may not be healthy.

cilyjr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I just added a tee before the di canister. Installed an RO pressure tank under the sink and added a faucet. Also plumbed it to the ice maker.
Did you add a backflow preventer? I would assume the pressure tank would push towards the di resin as soon as your post Di reservoirs began to call for water.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you add a backflow preventer? I would assume the pressure tank would push towards the di resin as soon as your post Di reservoirs began to call for water.
No back flow preventer. The booster pump pressure is higher than the pressure tank so it isn't going to back flow. Even if it did back flow the only issue I can think of would be less pressure or volume to drink. It would still be RO water going through the resin.

EDIT: our system was RO only for a few years before adding the di stages. I didn't notice any difference in performance at the RO sink faucet after adding the tee and di stages.

Buckeye Hydro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just added a tee before the di canister. Installed an RO pressure tank under the sink and added a faucet. Also plumbed it to the ice maker.
You'll also want in inline taste and odor filter between the tank and the faucet

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'll also want in inline taste and odor filter between the tank and the faucet
Interesting. Never new there was such a thing. I do replace the pressure tank every 3 or 4 years when the water starts to taste musty. I'm too lazy to clean them. I'll look into one. Thanks for chiming in. I'm actually running one of your systems.

EDIT: how often do you recommend replacing those filters? Only two people using the water. I want to try them and just trying to figure out how many to order so I can have them on hand.

Buckeye Hydro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No back flow preventer. The booster pump pressure is higher than the pressure tank so it isn't going to back flow. Even if it did back flow the only issue I can think of would be less pressure or volume to drink. It would still be RO water going through the resin.

EDIT: our system was RO only for a few years before adding the di stages. I didn't notice any difference in performance at the RO sink faucet after adding the tee and di stages.
You'll want to install that check valve. Remember that the TDS in the pressure tank is significantly higher than the TDS straight out of the RO.
Buckeye Hydro Reef_Residential RODI.png

Buckeye Hydro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for chiming in. I'm actually running one of your systems.

EDIT: how often do you recommend replacing those filters? Only two people using the water. I want to try them and just trying to figure out how many to order so I can have them on hand.
Check out our answer to our first FAQ, here: https://www.buckeyehydro.com/faq/

Malum Argenteum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you document this statement? My family and I have been drinking RO water for over 10 years and I've never heard of it being unhealthy. I have heard DI may not be healthy.

I meant the DI water , cause it’s stripped of minerals that you need.

The mineral content of DI vs RO is negligible from the point of view of drinking water. Most research that shows harm to health from demineralized water is done on RO water (since that's the most commonly used technology).

Here is some published documentation regarding the health effects of consumption of demineralized water:

International Journal of Applied Chemistry, vol 13, no 2, pp. 293-301.
https://pubs.acs.org/doi/10.1021/acs.est.9b01755

Comment from editor of Environmental Science and Technology, 2019, 53, 8, 3999–4000.

World Health Organization report on nutrients in drinking water

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So Ilike most have an RO/DI machine, I have my RO separated from the DI through a 3 way valve. Can I shut off the DI and just use the Ro for water for our coffee maker? My system is in the garage not under the sink. This picture does the show the valves, just putting it together.
20220311_120321.jpg
Why do you want to?

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 37 23.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 33.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 30.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back