Open your eyes...the answers are right in front of you!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The picture of the Green Hair Algae is an old picture of my saltwater reef from a few years ago. Here are the blog articles I wrote about it. I'm curious where the quote comes from... those specifications don't match my tank setup at all. (BTW: I no longer own this aquarium... I solid it about a year ago and it was healthy before I sold it. My problem was CO2 build up in the sand bed).
Green Hair Algae Removal
Green Hair Algae Removal Update

The quotes and specs were pure sarcasm, designed to illustrate a totally different point- we need to look for the underlying problems in algae situations- not name it on other issues. The photo is perfect! Appreciate your giving us the back story on your particular issue!

-Scott

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Well versed. Knowledge is Power especially in this hobby!
Thanks so much for the kind words, and for all of the contributions that make this stuff worth reading! I really love the fact that you realize that I am not "anti-tech", I'm just "pro aquarium skill development." I love technology and all that it provides, but I hate when we rely on technology at the expense of utilizing our basic skills of observation or even intuition.

Mark Poletti has one of the finest aquariums in the world, and he's here, front and center, telling you that he OBSERVES HIS TANK to see what's up. That, my friends- is Skill...borne of years of observing and thinking. kjwildman- you hit it on the head- you need the fundamental equipment first, then you can roar on into the cool gadgetry...It won't help you if you don't know HOW to keep a coral alive first, IMO. It will simply delay the inevitable results...

Oh, and now, speaking of observations, I want to hijack my own thread...

Be honest, okay? When you visit our website and look at our corals, do you read any of the copy that we include in the descriptions, or is it preferred to have minimal copy and "bullet points" outlining their care, or some fusion of the two?

I'm curious, as we are going to be doing some cool site enhancements over the next couple of months, as well as completely freshening up the aesthetic of our site to stay way ahead of the curve for a long time to come. We were wondering what people actually read and want, versus what we're presenting. We felt initially that our copy gave us an editorially fresh feeling and point of difference over competitive websites, but we wonder if readers prefer more informational content in quick summary form as well...

Don't worry about our website being radically different than what you've gotten used to. It will continue to look unlike any other aquarium vendor website you've ever seen (because we believe that, if you're not standing out from the clutter, you're contributing to it), but with a fresher, more stylish look, more intuitive function, and some great new features to make your shopping experience even better. We freaked a lot of people out when our ultra-clean, highly-negative space all-white aesthetic debuted last summer. It was way different than what people were used to seeing in our category. You may not be as freaked out by our changes this time, but you'll see it as an evolution for sure as UC "Version 2.0" rolls out this Spring. We have an all new mobile interface on the app store as well that's in testing now!

OK, back to the topic...LOL

-Scott:bored:

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love having the coral care info right there with the possible purchase, especially if the one writing said info is reputable. :) Yes, I read it! Sometimes it's better than trying to search for that info, especially in rare corals, or one species with a ton of different subs that like different things (thinking acros, here, for a start.)

Some of the husbandry history for the species, biotope, etc are all helpful. I look at a list of "preferred parameters" and can't help but think that it really doesn't tell me the things I need to know, like preferred diet, what lighting the seller has been keeping it under....etc.

There's also a metric truckload of poor or completely incorrect info out there. I'd love to see more info from people that I trust to know what they're talking about.

I would rather know more than what this species stereotypically "likes". Tell me how you've been keeping it - the info on the lighting for your chalices was enlightening and really helped me understand - and you'll help me to make the transition as smooth as possible and have more than a nebulous idea of what to do with it!

Last edited:
OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love having the coral care info right there with the possible purchase, especially if the one writing said info is reputable. :) Yes, I read it! Sometimes it's better than trying to search for that info, especially in rare corals, or one species with a ton of different subs that like different things (thinking acros, here, for a start.)

Some of the husbandry history for the species, biotope, etc are all helpful. I look at a list of "preferred parameters" and can't help but think that it really doesn't tell me the things I need to know, like preferred diet, what lighting the seller has been keeping it under....etc.

There's also a metric truckload of poor or completely incorrect info out there. I'd love to see more info from people that I trust to know what they're talking about.

I would rather know more than what this species stereotypically "likes". Tell me how you've been keeping it - the info on the lighting for your chalices was enlightening and really helped me understand - and you'll help me to make the transition as smooth as possible and have more than a nebulous idea of what to do with it!

I like the idea of "husbandry notes"...In that section suppose we could say things like, "Prefers food to be targeted during dark cycle; use fine-sized foods such as Cyclopeeze, etc." Something like that. Love your input on this area...super helpful! Thanks!

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 76 35.2%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 58 26.9%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 67 31.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 3.7%
Back