Or instead of the cinder block (rocket engineer for current stand OR cinder with slightly larger tank)

OP
OP
D

Daphne's_Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Party time! I FINALLY got the wood. Would have happened a couple weeks ago, but the guy at the Lowe's in the city north of me was a bit of a jerk and talked down to me the whole time accusing me of not understanding the blueprint (schematic?).

Just wondering what order I should put it together in. Top and bottom frames first, of course, but from there, how do I make the legs so they'll go on correctly? Do I screw one upright into each corner, put the weight support pieces on, then put the top on and screw it down, or some other way? And how many screws should go in each board so it's secure, but not too many so it becomes weakened?

Also, since I don't have any large clamps or an assistant, what's the best way to hold the pieces still while I am screwing them into place so it doesn't get all wonky?

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Party time! I FINALLY got the wood. Would have happened a couple weeks ago, but the guy at the Lowe's in the city north of me was a bit of a jerk and talked down to me the whole time accusing me of not understanding the blueprint (schematic?).

Just wondering what order I should put it together in. Top and bottom frames first, of course, but from there, how do I make the legs so they'll go on correctly? Do I screw one upright into each corner, put the weight support pieces on, then put the top on and screw it down, or some other way? And how many screws should go in each board so it's secure, but not too many so it becomes weakened?

Also, since I don't have any large clamps or an assistant, what's the best way to hold the pieces still while I am screwing them into place so it doesn't get all wonky?
Build top and bottom frame. Then attach the guide pieces to bottom frame. Attach weight support pieces to the guides. Put the top frame on the weight supports and attach to guides. Are you going with screws and glue? Good idea to predrill guide holes for screws about a 1/4-1/2 size of screw before using any screws. Will help to minimize wood splitting.

topjimmy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still haven't made the cinder block stand for my tank. I've currently got a 20 long I'd like to eventually try to make into a sump again, so I keep looking at it like "but I wouldn't be able to fit it under the blocks. . .

Option A: Rocket Engineer's 2x4 stand. The big issue I've got with that (besides being terrified I wouldn't be able to get it 100% square) is I don't want to skin it, I'd rather have it open if I did it that way, but I've seen tons of things saying you have to skin it or it'll sheer sideways and end up with your tank on the floor in pieces. Is that a huge issue for a 40 breeder, and without skinning with plywood, is there a different way to make sure the side to side is not going to be an issue on a 3 foot tank?

Option B: Get a 60 (breeder?) since they're on sale at petco now, and do a DIY AIO conversion for it. I'd need to find more egg crate for the lid, and need to find a hangar for my lights (I used to have one? Not that I know HOW to hang them) and they might not be long enough (24") for the nearly 4 foot span of the tank. But my fish would be happier, and I could maybe get another one or two for it at some point, and putting a few stacks of blocks under it, I'd still have plenty of room for the jug for my topoff.

I'd honestly prefer to stick with the 3 foot tank, but I would be willing to do either. Which seems like a safer bet?

Sorry I'm so indecisive and have too many questions!
Not sure what your budget is, but 80/20 stands are easy to design and build. They look good skinned or not, won't rust, warp, rot.

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Good to hear!

I'd build it much like @twentyleagues mentioned above, including using both screws and glue. Predrilling your holes will goa long way to making it easier to put together, as well as minimizing split boards. As far as not having clamps, that does make it more challenging, but get creative. Use gravity where you can, screwing down into the joint, or bracing a piece up against a wall or another piece of furniture may help. Good luck!

OP
OP
D

Daphne's_Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's what the top/bottom pieces look like after I screwed and glued them. The boards seem to have warped a bit (Florida. Land of humidity.) I'm assuming they'll be safe to use if I can shove them back into straightness as I screw them to the other pieces, right? Standing on the corners of one of them left it feeling pretty flat, and I weigh a bit less than my 40 breeder will when full of water, so I'm guessing it'll be possible. Just find some sort of heavy thing to put on it before I screw it all together?

Also, how many screws should I put on the various pieces? I've got two in each corner currently.

435799867_795684878698645_967459556236054421_n.jpg

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good, glad to see some sawdust fly on this!

Unfortunately, that is the nature of working with any wood, but especially construction grade 2x4's, not to mention your Florida humidity. Yeah, I would keep going and try to force everything into place, try to get everything as straight and square as possible. In your pics, I think the two screws at each joint with the glue should work. You could drive a third screw right in between them if you have the screws and feel better about it.

How did Lowes do cutting your wood? Did they do a good job getting the important dimensions correct?

OP
OP
D

Daphne's_Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The cuts are VERY close to perfect. A few mm off at most. I'm definitely happy with that.

I know the closer it gets to square the better, but if it's off by a few degrees one way or another, will it be a huge risk? I'd hate to have to scrap it all and go for a professionally made one at this point since half the reason for this is my wallet cringed looking at a $140+ metal pre-made stand at the local box stores.

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad to hear that they did a good job with the cuts!

Square is best, but I would keep going and see where you end up, I think you'll be fine.

OP
OP
D

Daphne's_Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well that bites :( It's square to itself, and all of the weight-bearing joints just slide into the space under the top bar, but this is what the corners look like. Is that shimmable (shimmable?) or is that way too far off to salvage? The bottom's a bit wobbly as well, but I figured with something under a corner it'd work, but this. . . Bah.

434471791_977695879918051_699905829225283119_n.jpg 435691016_452308443901943_9204069644200417722_n.jpg

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well that bites :( It's square to itself, and all of the weight-bearing joints just slide into the space under the top bar, but this is what the corners look like. Is that shimmable (shimmable?) or is that way too far off to salvage? The bottom's a bit wobbly as well, but I figured with something under a corner it'd work, but this. . . Bah.

434471791_977695879918051_699905829225283119_n.jpg 435691016_452308443901943_9204069644200417722_n.jpg
put a piece of plywood on it shimmed if necessary.

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting. You seem to have a high spot in the middle and the corners are low? Do you have a center brace? Could it be that the horizontal 2x4's are warped with a bow in the middle?

You can add the plywood top and shim that, as @twentyleagues described. You can also shim under it if it's a bit wobbly.

Did you try flipping it upside down? Might be better one way or the other. And is your floor level? If you're in a basement or garage or even an older home it may not be.

If it was me, I'd put a little weight on it and let the whole thing settle. I would add just a few inches of water to the tank and give it some time, then maybe add more water if it looks better. If the vertical pieces were cut to the same length and your joints are tight together, I bet it all kind of settles in place.

OP
OP
D

Daphne's_Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I glued the joints already, oops. I did it as I was putting it together. I'm guessing that even though I only used one screw a piece that that'll make it so it can't move anywhere, won't it? I'll try flipping it over and see if that helps. I DO have a centre brace on what I'd figured should be the top. The one corner is only a hair off, but then the other corner is very low, yes. It was in the garage that I tried this, but it's kinda wobbly (figured a bit of a block under it when it was in place) plus the top. I can't try it in the spot it'll be since my tank is still up there.

If I do the plywood top and shims vs. trying to shim under the tank, it'll still probably have a touch where the corners aren't lying exactly 100% against the wood, or where there's a touch of a gap. How dangerous to my tank is that?

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry you're having some trouble. Are your joint good and tight to each other? Could you please post a pic of the whole stand? And try again on a level floor, possibly flipping it over to see if that helps.

OP
OP
D

Daphne's_Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright, this is what it looks like. One side seems perfectly level (this is after I flipped it over) and the other you can easily see air under one corner of the tank and the opposite of the stand. The weight support beams currently fit right (haven't screwed any in yet) without more than a mm or two of wiggle room on any of the sides.
I MIGHT be able to pop the glue if I could unscrew it enough (have a hammer, though don't know if that will split the boards) but I know I lost connection with a couple of the screws and sort of messed up the heads, so don't know if pulling them out will be easy or not. Then I'd just have to figure out how to re-glue it while the boards are together.

Attachments

• 436543702_2225226194495344_4515053187301541565_n.jpg
    436543702_2225226194495344_4515053187301541565_n.jpg
    138.7 KB · Views: 11
  • 439374853_1441499436737706_5546680306703051632_n.jpg
    439374853_1441499436737706_5546680306703051632_n.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 11

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry I'm just seeing your reply. That is weird, your one side looks great, but the other side seems to be a little wonky. I'm guessing the floor where it was put together may not have been level? Did you add the vertical support pieces to the "wonky" side yet? If you have all your vertical support pieces in place, I'd personally put some weight on it. The plastic rim on your tank should give it strength, I would place the tank on the stand and put a few inches of water in it. See if the stand holds, and if it starts to level out. Otherwise, I would try to shim the bottom frame so that the bottom of the stand is level, then see how off the top frame is.

OP
OP
D

Daphne's_Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will that work since I've got it glued already? Didn't think I'd be able to pull the screws out enough after it was together to get the glue into the joints. I've not attached any of the vertical supports yet.

Edit: Also, I may be misunderstanding what shimming is. I thought that you put something under the side that had air under it so it wouldn't wobble, but that wouldn't do anything to the top since it's off on the opposite corner.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 165 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.7%
Back