Stand question

Wildreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
50 gallon low boy frag tank. Wish to use cover blocks as part of the stand to match the tanks next to it.

Cinder blocks are about 16 inches long , if I lay them front to back on the tank. I bought 2 2 x12s to lay them across the cinder blocks. (One left to right under the back of the tank, one across the front left to right) If i center them on the cinder blocks, that means 8 inches of the wood will be sitting on the block, and 4 inches will be hanging off. The tank is 24 wide, is it ok to have the 4 inch over hang on the front and the back, or do I need more cinder blocks to have under all corners .

I would think 50 gallons is light, relatively speaking, but not sure how strong a 2 by 12 is laid flat, if 8 inches is on a cinder block, with the last 4 off .

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
50 gallon low boy frag tank. Wish to use cover blocks as part of the stand to match the tanks next to it.

Cinder blocks are about 16 inches long , if I lay them front to back on the tank. I bought 2 2 x12s to lay them across the cinder blocks. (One left to right under the back of the tank, one across the front left to right) If i center them on the cinder blocks, that means 8 inches of the wood will be sitting on the block, and 4 inches will be hanging off. The tank is 24 wide, is it ok to have the 4 inch over hang on the front and the back, or do I need more cinder blocks to have under all corners .

I would think 50 gallons is light, relatively speaking, but not sure how strong a 2 by 12 is laid flat, if 8 inches is on a cinder block, with the last 4 off .
The overhang is fine for the wood in your situation, you just don't want ANY unsupported glass.

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 50 25.6%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 49 25.1%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 44 22.6%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 48 24.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.1%
Back