ORA deepwater

surfn

I bleed orange and maroon
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i just picked up a frag of the new limited edition ORA deepwater today.

it was labelled as "dustin's deepwater".....even though this one looks exactly like the "bali deepwater".......(maybe you were right after all, chris)

it has very long and smooth coralites, in a dark emerald green. and the tips are a very intense light blue/purple.

not sure if i'll be able to get a pic tonight, and i'm gonna be gone all day tomorrow........so hopefully sometime by sunday evening.

chadfarmer

profilux in the house
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i just got the dustins deepwater and it is a 2 inch single branch looks to be a simplex or similar
it said dust on the bag
also got the roscoes acro

OP
OP
surfn

surfn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sounds like you got a good one.

the LFS i got mine from, got 4 in. they kept the nicest one for their show tank, which was 3-4" single branch, with 1 or 2 other branches around 2". it was VERY nice looking with huge purple tips.

i got the 2nd best....which is 1.5" single branch, and 4 more 1/2" branches.

there were two others in there, but they were barely 1" and only a single branch...and no purple tips.

i'm pretty sure the species is acropora Suharsonoi (sp?). thats what an ORA rep told me a while ago, and what the LFS owner said.

they are supposed to release a couple of other new ones this year......no idea what they are though. although one might have been some sort of encrusting/branching monti (green w/ purple polyps), they also had that in stock that they just got from ORA.

i know ORA has the oregon tort and some sort of echinata also in the works.....although no idea on a release date.

turbois300

Man In Need of Sleep
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok this is really a stupid question but will you tell me what ORA is?

What does the deepwater indicate? Does it come from deeper water and therefore needs less light?

Sorry.....I'm new to all this SPS lingo

OP
OP
surfn

surfn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i haven't seen any polyp extension on mine......and its not doing too well either...looks like i killed some of it when i put it in stronger flow/light. :(

btw......welcome to CZ brandon! glad ya found the place. ;)

MR294

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i haven't seen any polyp extension on mine......and its not doing too well either...looks like i killed some of it when i put it in stronger flow/light. :(

btw......welcome to CZ brandon! glad ya found the place. ;)

Thanks Al :D

Mine hasn't done much of anything yet, no PE day or night. I realize a lot of the "deepwater" acros generally don't exhibit much PE, but I'm used to seeing at least a little axial polyp sticking out at night.

twon8

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
mine has gotten one very bright purple tip, and the other tip is turning purple. it has some daytime pe and more at night, the one really purple tip is showing a polyp right now.

it is in very high flow, about the highest flow in my 90, and moderate lighting.

twon8

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which tank do u have it in Anthony?

it's in the 90,
topdown-1.jpg

twon8

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
and here is a crappy pic of some pe, corallites directly under the purple tip, to the left.
balishowingpolyp.jpg

MR294

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally saw a little bit of polyp sticking out this morning before the lights came on

MR294

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After adjusting the flow a bit, I'm getting pretty good PE at night. The one in the Atlantis display has lightened up quite a bit, making it look more like the one in Naka's tank.

OP
OP
surfn

surfn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i almost killed mine when i tried cutting it off the plug. i think it is ok now. but its browned up considerably. i think i had it in too much light too.

IMG_2396.jpg

OP
OP
surfn

surfn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if anyone wants one, LiveAquaria just put up 3 frags of it in their Aquacultured area of the Divers Den. they are all $80 each, not bad.

the prices I've seen are all over the place, Live Aquaria used to have them at $130 before ORA released them to other stores. even $90-$100 seems a bit high considering what LiveAquaria is selling them for, and you can find them for $50-$60 at other stores.

some of these places have incredibly high markups.....if some places sell the same thing for almost 50% less.....

Back