Picture006-6.jpg

Last edited:

NapoliNewJersey

Achilles Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I paid $60 at my local LFS, Aquatic Obsessions in Woodbridge, NJ, that's with a 10% NJ reefclub discount though.

IMG_4970.jpg

Also just want to say I HATE Ora's plugs..... HHHAAATTTEEEE!Hate hate hate hate hate.

Last edited:

reefboy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW....Atlantis uses allot of those huge plastic frag plugs for most of their frags. really can't stand it....esspecially since they use epoxy to it so you can't get them off without breaking the frag.

I was told by there sales rep that those were specail made for them so people couldnt call there stuff ORA frags lol, plus when she looked at my site noticed I had ORA stuff listed but were on my plugs I had to say "grown from ORA stock" not ORA blue milli so I changed it no hair off my back, but its funny you have problems ive never had a problem I usaly split frag leave half on one put other on my plug then just let them both grow out.

NapoliNewJersey

Achilles Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There plugs are made out of a plastic that is virtually unbreakable. Like Surfn said .. you have to dremel the plastic if you want to cut the plug because no cutter/clipper on earth can do the job.

Here's what I just starting doing.

I have a bunch of Marco Rock Rubble from www.marcorocks.com . I drill holes in the ruble 3/4" with a concrete drill bit and I plant the plug straight in. and then I use epoxy to build a smooth surface straight to the base of the coral. That way the coral can encrust over the epoxy.

Let's all right emails to ORA and tell them that there plugs suck butt. Not that they would change them.

OP
OP
surfn

surfn

I bleed orange and maroon
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was told by there sales rep that those were specail made for them so people couldnt call there stuff ORA frags lol, plus when she looked at my site noticed I had ORA stuff listed but were on my plugs I had to say "grown from ORA stock" not ORA blue milli so I changed it no hair off my back, but its funny you have problems ive never had a problem I usaly split frag leave half on one put other on my plug then just let them both grow out.

good point, i should have just broken it off the plug and grown both out. would have been 10x easier.....and in the process of trying to preserve the coral i ended up damaging it anyways.......

mbunaman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But the black plugs are their newest style. The old white epoxy stick plugs are being phased out. The new black plugs say ora on them.

OP
OP
surfn

surfn

I bleed orange and maroon
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But the black plugs are their newest style. The old white epoxy stick plugs are being phased out. The new black plugs say ora on them.

i haven't seen these new black ones yet........

all the ora frags i've seen come in recently have been on the white ones w/ epoxy...

NapoliNewJersey

Achilles Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I've noticed the black ones are being use more. But they still suck. It's difficult to plant into the aquarium.

But I guess what Reefboy said makes sense. Then you can sell the grown out piece for the same as you paid for it and basically keep a free frag.

Good Idea.

familyreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cheap Deep water

I got mine from Star Aquatics here in Augusta Ga. They got them from The Coral Gardens in Alabama. I paid 23.95 retail!!!Just a heads up for those who want to investigate. The CG owner spoke at a local reef meeting at Star and he grows all of his frags under natural sun light and uses a green house set up adding or removing sun screens to adjust the light intensity!!

gflat65

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I may have to cruise on out to Augusta sometime... The price from the ORA pricelist is around $30 (unless they have different pricing for different stores)... Is he growing them out himself? To have frags of the deepwater already at cheaper prices than ORA wholesale is pretty interesting. Getting down around $60 is more reasonable for me. Our local guy still has it at $100... Santa said he didn't want to get his hands wet, so there was nothing dripping in my stocking:D.

familyreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait!

I will have to check to see if there are any left.. Jeorge saild he was going to be placing another order with the guy pretty soon but end of the year inventory is coming up. I will be glad to keep you posted. I bought mine before the CG guy showed up for the meeting withot knowing what it was. When he came to the meeting I asked him what I had bought and he told me "Deep water Bali" This was several months ago. Maybe before the poop had hit the fan over these crals. I wil be glad to let you know. Mine has encrusted over the frag plug since going into the tank but there are no new branches and the existing branches do not seem to have grown.Do these things seem to grow slow or what? Any info would be appeciated

gflat65

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder if CG allows walk ins. I've heard a little about what he has, but haven't been in the area with enough time to see if I can swing by, etc. He's in Northern Al, I think (Huntsville or Athens?).

Pitcom

Not Reef Safe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up a frag of the ORA Scripps Milli last week and it was on the new black plug. Hoping to get a couple more pieces in the next couple weeks.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 20 42.6%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 24 51.1%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 3 6.4%
Back