Palys, Palytoxins, and The Reef

Cyanohater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright so I'm gonna start this off by saying I already have a zoa garden. So what is going on is I found a really pretty palythoa on topshelf aquatics for a good price. I want to add it to my reef tank but I'm concerned about the dangers of palytoxins. I've seen some have it in their aquarium and it even bother their other corals. Of course everyone in the hobby already knows of boiling the rocks not doing that etc etc. What do you guys think about this. Will it bother my other corals? Would it be a good idea to add palythoas? Would I and others be safe?

FragAddicts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Cyanohater just my opinion, but I think the palytoxin issue is overblown. In terms of your own health, I think it’s a lot of common sense … mostly just washing your hands etc before and after you put them in the tank (don’t rub your eyes, etc). Others wear glasses or gloves as well. Check out Tidal Garden. I think the owner did a video on palythoas and discusses palytoxin
Grew up in a reef shop.... I remember the sw shipments coming in (I was probably 7-8) and breaking the big zoa rocks into 3-4 smaller pieces by hand or flathead and hammer. I turned out alright-ish (Probably lol).

Upvote 0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 137 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.8%
Back