Palytoxin Poisoning and its Potential Dangers

turbo21

Fenchies and Fish Oh My
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I figured with the popularity of keeping tanks full of zooanthids and the amount of fragging going on everyone should be aware of palytoxin and its potential dangers.

This quote is taken from an interview with Dr. James Davis Reimer he is an associate professor at the University of the Ryukyus in Japan, where his lab, MISE (Molecular Invertebrate Systematics & Ecology), works extensively with zoanthids.

What is palytoxin, and why should aquarists who keep zoanthids be aware of it?
Palytoxin (PTX) is a nasty, very strong, natural poison found in Palythoa spp. and associated animals (parrotfish, xanthid crabs, etc). For a really poisonous colony, one gram of Palythoa can kill up to 600 mice! We don't yet know if Palythoa produces PTX, or something else, and no one knows exactly how PTX appears. Some colonies have PTX, while adjacent colonies of the same species do not. My advice is be very careful dealing with Palythoa of any kind, just to be safe. Gloves, goggles, and no eating (haha)! FYI, deaths from PTX poisoning occur every year, mainly from contaminated parrotfish or crab meat. Death is slow and painful; symptoms often do not appear for two or three days. Be safe!

zooanthids and palys contain a very potent poison PTX that could severely harm you if you are not careful

As Reimers himself points out in the article, the actual source of PTX is unknown. In other words, it could be occurring in wild colonies as a result of bioaccumulation from their food source. The toxin may not even occur in captive bred colonies of palys.

Wrong Diagnosis lists the following 11 signs and symptoms for PTX poisoning;

Chest pain
Breathing problems
Asthma-like symptoms
Rapid heart rate
Blood pressure fluctuations
Muscle spasms
Increased serum enzyme levels
Convulsions
Severe pain

According to WD

Symptoms progress quickly and death can occur in minutes in severe cases but usually occurs between two and four days after ingestion.

It is very likely that palytoxins are more deadly to individuals with existing alergies such as those to bee stings. If they already have a low tolerance to venoms the palytoxin is more likely to result in major illness and possibly death because of the effects on the heart. This is all dependent on the amount of toxins that enter the blood stream.
While most individuals are not ingesting their zoanthids, you do not have to ingest the poison to get into serious trouble. the poison can enter into your bloodstream from even the smallest of cuts or abrasions

A case of palytoxin poisoning due to contact with ... [Toxicon. 2008] - PubMed result

Lets use this thread to guide and to help educate our members

There are many stories across the net of innocent reefers getting squirted when cutting zoos and ending up in the hospital.

While its hard to prove or disprove anybody's symptoms were caused by palytoxins or not but it seems like most cases that people are reporting are actually due to bacteria infections. I myself have ended up in the hospital due to such an infection and would have never thought to blame palytoxin for it. I may be wrong, but I think the most likely cause of most of these reports is due to bacteria.

That doesn't mean that the poison does not exist, nor that it is not lethal. As stated above care, goggles and gloves are highly recommended, not only for the risk of PTX, but also for bacterial infection, which is far more likely.

Always wear eye protection and gloves when fragging zoos!

Always wash your hands afterwards!

And everyone, please think twice before you cut!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Wy Renegade

Zs and Ps/PE collector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nicely done, and very informative! Cleaned the quotes up a bit for you.

MimicOcto8

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wow man you really did your research. I've known about these toxin for a long time which is why at the very least I use safety glasses when fragging them. Like the article said though, there's no cases that show humans were harmed by it...yet. either way great post and thanks a million!

OP
OP
turbo21

turbo21

Fenchies and Fish Oh My
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wow man you really did your research. I've known about these toxin for a long time which is why at the very least I use safety glasses when fragging them. Like the article said though, there's no cases that show humans were harmed by it...yet. either way great post and thanks a million!

Not just my research. A collaboration of a few members from another thread. It was very nicely edited by WY renegade

bob

Wy Renegade

Zs and Ps/PE collector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Perhaps this article posted by Chris somewhat counters that?

Most of us already know about this but I thought it would be a good thing to post up this new article on Palyotoxins.

World?s 2nd deadliest poison, in an aquarium store near you | Not Exactly Rocket Science | Discover Magazine

Tabasco1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great reminder! I am sure that familiarity breeds a false sense of safety, you are careful at first but I am sure that fades...

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 91 75.8%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 12.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.7%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back