OP
K

Kalurex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand and agree with your frustration

Your pics look like palys to me, not zoas. Have you got a better photo under white light so we can see the actual colour ?
Thank you for responding, i moved the discussion to Reddit and was able to get help there. I prefer that forum design better. Thanks anyway!

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
bumping this back up to see if anyone has some actually helpful information for my original request. It seems to have been lost behind new requests made by a hijacked who was too lazy to start their own lol.
Ah, my bad, wrote those posts with a cold and didn't notice that wasn't OP answering. I was actually talking about your Captain Jerks there.

Edit: though this applies to any toxic palys.

OP
OP
K

Kalurex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah, my bad, wrote those posts with a cold and didn't notice that wasn't OP answering. I was actually talking about your Captain Jerks there.

Ok, thank you. It makes more sense now. Appreciate the response! Wasn’t sure because some folks said captain jerks, someone else here said “pest paly” and I know a lot of folks thing they are pests lol so I just wanted to know the exact species for the two I have. Thanks again.

OP
OP
K

Kalurex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Ok, thank you. It makes more sense now. Appreciate the response! Wasn’t sure because some folks said captain jerks, someone else here said “pest paly” and I know a lot of folks thing they are pests lol so I just wanted to know the exact species for the two I have.

encrustingacro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,

Can y’all please help me ID these? They came with the tank when I purchased it a few years back and I always thought they were zoas but was told recently otherwise. I was told they are captain jerks. Depending on the spot in the tank the color changes. I was going to bleach the rock and get rid of them because I got palytoxin poisoning a while back and don’t ever want to feel that again. But was told to frag them out instead or sell the rock as many people still collect them. I want to keep the rock though so I’m torn. I know there are two different color paly here tho. One is more neon and has longer lashes/skirt.

Any input is very much appreciated.

Thanks!

IMG_3147.jpeg IMG_3143.jpeg IMG_3140.jpeg
1st photo is Palythoa cf mutuki
2nd and 3rd are Palythoa toxica

Pest paly,, possibly toxic but ALWAYS treat protopalys like these as IF they are toxic. Best to get these under control or better if you can remove the rock in one shot with them on it ,if you dont want them at all..
Protopalythoa is not a valid name; they are a synonym of Palythoa

wattson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Capt. Jerk palys are a "Pest Paly" ,they are on the lowest rung of what 99% of reefers dont want in their tanks.. Hence my answer.

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
bumping this back up to see if anyone has some actually helpful information for my original request. It seems to have been lost behind new requests made by a hijacked who was too lazy to start their own lol.

Kinda new here, not sure what the etiquete would be like on r2r, but it just seems a bit wrong for someone else to completely redirect focus of those who could have been otherwise helpful from the OP’s request to their own. This forum also doesn’t let you edit or delete posts huh? Maybe I’ll try Reddit.
Plus one for pics with more white light. I think I have one just like the one that shows some green, but the pic is too blue for me to be sure. Even though you received some answers, I would like to see better pics of your concerns.

Generally, you don't see threads hijacked, but it does happen from time to time. I appreciate the responses from the others that eventually got around to trying to answer your initial question. Also, I think you must have a paid membership to be able to edit your own posts.

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 116 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.6%
Back