Parameters with Triton Elementz

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

OP
OP
djbetterly

djbetterly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes! Thank you...still struggling a bit, trying to figure out if its my doser, or what the deal is. Hopefully I'll get to the bottom of it this week.

Thank you.

OP
OP
djbetterly

djbetterly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep getting very high calcium numbers. I tested yesterday, it was at 447, tested today, it was 506. Not sure if I tested just after calc was dosed, or what. I need to run a test on the doser to make sure its dosing within proper range this week.

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check the consumption of your containers. If they are equal then its not the dosing.
Where is your ALK at?
Also remind me what are you using to check calcium?

OP
OP
djbetterly

djbetterly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll check it out tomorrow evening. I have to finish some work before tomorrow.

I use the Hanna Calcium checker.

Alk was at 8.0 today. That never changes.

OP
OP
djbetterly

djbetterly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems the dosing is a bit uneven at the moment. I also realized I'm using different tubing on two of the pumps, not sure if the ID is the same or not. Either way, the tubing is larger than the tubing inside the dosing pumps, so I ordered some smaller ID tubing that will match the tube inside the pumps themselves. Hopefully that will help a bit, if not, I'll be researching a new doser.

OP
OP
djbetterly

djbetterly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
None of them were substantially off. I ran a dose test. The pump is supposed to dose 3mL - 7 times a day. The pumps range from 3.1mL to 4.2mL. So over the period of a day that adds up. I really don't want to spend $400 on another doser so I'm looking into options to make this one more stable. I did read where using small ID tubing helped some people. I'm also looking into using a small potentiometer of some sort to micro adjust the speed of each doser.

OP
OP
djbetterly

djbetterly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I hear you. I wish I had space for the types you use but I don't. The Neptune DOS system is really reliable but way over priced for a two channel doser not to mention it's very noisy.

gpwdr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I found with my system is to just monitor the DKH and salinity. Calcium will go up and or the magnesium will go up, it's ok. At this point so much elementz is added, the salinity starts rising. At this time use the "Method Calculator" on the Triton Lab site to calculate the removal of aquarium water per day. Just put in your Elementz "Dosage ml/day". The "If salinity is rising, removal of tank water ml/day" tells you how much to remove.
So now you are adding equal amounts of elementz and removing a set amount of aquarium water.
This is where the tank parameters will balance out.
We are in fact doing small water changes per day. Although depending on the different coral we keep minor corrections may be needed.
I think they found some systems, because of the types of corals kept, they need daily dosing of Sr, K, and/or Mg. If so more tank water is removed.
http://www.triton-lab.de/en/triton-method/method-calculator/

Gene

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's what I do too Gene
I just watch ALK and salt but twice a month I will spot check the cal

OP
OP
djbetterly

djbetterly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Gene, I was aware of that aspect of the triton method, however I've not had any issues with rising salinity, only rising calcium. I initially only monitored dkh but then randomly tested my calcium and realized my calcium was around 550. I then halted dosing of calcium and other elements to let calcium drop, which it did, but now it's back up. I do know my doser is slightly off though.

lexinverts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For what it's worth, the Hannah Calcium checker has a reputation as being unreliable and prone to false high readings. I would double check your high Ca reading with the Salifert Ca test.

OP
OP
djbetterly

djbetterly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to share that opinion @lexinverts but I came to realize it was all user error. I can run three tests in a row with no more than 5ppm in either direction. My Elos backup kit isn't even that accurate.

The Hanna kit has to be used with care, making sure the test vial is very clean. I weigh each drop in the sample to make sure it's within a 1/10th of a gram each time.

The kit is fool proof if you take the time to do it right.

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For what it's worth, the Hannah Calcium checker has a reputation as being unreliable and prone to false high readings. I would double check your high Ca reading with the Salifert Ca test.
Let's not start this again.
Sorry but people in general who doesn't understand how to use it gave it a bad rep.
So please don't come bashing on the Hanna cal checker :)

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to share that opinion @lexinverts but I came to realize it was all user error. I can run three tests in a row with no more than 5ppm in either direction. My Elos backup kit isn't even that accurate.

The Hanna kit has to be used with care, making sure the test vial is very clean. I weigh each drop in the sample to make sure it's within a 1/10th of a gram each time.

The kit is fool proof if you take the time to do it right.
This is the best statement ever!

lexinverts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let's not start this again.
Sorry but people in general who doesn't understand how to use it gave it a bad rep.
So please don't come bashing on the Hanna cal checker :)

I'm not re-starting anything, since I have never posted about this here. Is there another link that you could post perhaps so I could see where this dead horse has been beaten? :)

I have seen several experienced reefers on my local forum post about problems with the Hanna Calcium checker. (These same people have had success with the other Hanna checkers.) Because of this I have never gotten it myself. I do use the Hanna Alk and Phosphate checker myself and find them to be good products and always close to what I get when I double-check with Salifert tests.
I suspect that the Hanna Ca checker is not the easiest to use, even if it is accurate when used correctly. Perhaps I'll give a try myself.

OP
OP
djbetterly

djbetterly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I choose to do my testing that way, they don't recommend you do it that way. The scale just gives me a way to make things more consistent with each test.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 43 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 17 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 33 12.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 155 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.1%
Back