Perry

Perry

Follow me on IG- perrys_reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just coasting...
Made a few minor coral placement moves and slight scope change to move the table island lower on the reef. Aestecitally more pleasing, also moved some smoothies to higher locations.

20230319_104253.jpg

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a PAR map made?

Hello,
No actually I don't, but I think Tim, aka @therman recently broke down his lighting, and was quite specific, with regards to Reefbreeders Photon's. I am using 4xt5 and Reefbreeders, so my lights are tuned down a bit. But basically I am 11" off surface with both lighting, and run a 7 hour peak, with blues, uv, at 100% Whites, reds,and greens run at 30%, this with a 2 hour ramp on either side of peak with blues and UV only. T5's are 2x AquaBlue Special and 2x Blue Plus

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PH update:
I am now dosing approximately 3.4 liters a day of kalkwasser at full strength. This is under my evaporation demand, but that's fine, I run my ato for 4 hours per day on a timer, and the water level stays rather consistent that way. Kalkwasser is dosed using a Milwaukee MP810 which is 25ml per minute, which on a 15 minute interval, is 375ml. 9 intervals, spaced at 2 hours apart, starting around 6pm, and last interval is at 10am following day.
So far the results have been stellar!!!

Before kalkwasser:
Day PH- 8.1
Night PH- 7.8

After kalkwasser:
Day PH- 8.4
Night PH- 8.2

In between, I used my doser, which was 24 1 hour intervals, maxing at 2000ml per day.
Day PH- 8.3
Night PH- 8.0

After my first phase of kalkwasser, the results were undeniable, and I believe in time, the number will rise, as the ESV demand is at 25ml per day for both alk and ca, but that will not last for long. Moving from 2000ml per day, to 3400ml per day, in kalkwasser, didn't change my dosing schedule for 2 part, really weird...
Fighting off some funk from the sand removal, which has resulted in a P04 decline, whereas before, with sand, it was a steady .15-.20ppm. Now I am seeing it drop to .10ppm, so a gentle 2.5ml dose a day to bump, post testing. Nitrates were a steady 25ppm with sand, and now 15-18ppm with a 4-6ppm rise per week, versus a 10ppm rise per week with sand. That said, the downward shift, and new surface area for bacteria to colonize(clean glass where sand was), definitely caused foe a wompy micro-biome. All good, siphoning daily, then new sock daily, until things even out.
Thanks for reading the update :)

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
No actually I don't, but I think Tim, aka @therman recently broke down his lighting, and was quite specific, with regards to Reefbreeders Photon's. I am using 4xt5 and Reefbreeders, so my lights are tuned down a bit. But basically I am 11" off surface with both lighting, and run a 7 hour peak, with blues, uv, at 100% Whites, reds,and greens run at 30%, this with a 2 hour ramp on either side of peak with blues and UV only. T5's are 2x AquaBlue Special and 2x Blue Plus

Is Therman changing his lighting?

Love the T5 combo. Excellent choice.

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is Therman changing his lighting?

Love the T5 combo. Excellent choice.

Tim uses mostly Reefbreeders at this point, he and Adam from BC were influential in my choosing, lol. My new tank will be t5, supplemented with led, I am a t5 lifer, lol, just stumbled into them in 2006, and have always preferred them since. I have yet to see any lighting, for acros, compare...
Personal preference I guess ;)
Thanks,

Sweet Reef Corals

SweetReefOH on IG
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
@SweetReefOH
Awesome pack Jesse!
Received Pengs Purple Tip Granulosa, FHC Hell On Earth, TSA Spiro the Dragon, SweetReef Golden Fox, WWC Yoda, and TGC Creamsicle today! All coral packed and shipped well, I highly recommend his corals, well done sir!
I’m glad they got to you on time my friend! I was a little worried about that 23:00 delivery time they gave me when making the label! Lol.

Get ‘em colored up and post some pics in a few weeks. I hope they do as good for you as they have done for me. Thank you so much Perry!

biecacka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just coasting...
Made a few minor coral placement moves and slight scope change to move the table island lower on the reef. Aestecitally more pleasing, also moved some smoothies to higher locations.

20230319_104253.jpg
Why did you move the smoothies up? Do you find they prefer the higher lighting?

corey

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m glad they got to you on time my friend! I was a little worried about that 23:00 delivery time they gave me when making the label! Lol.

Get ‘em colored up and post some pics in a few weeks. I hope they do as good for you as they have done for me. Thank you so much Perry!
Will do, thanks again :)

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why did you move the smoothies up? Do you find they prefer the higher lighting?

corey

I was actually trying for more light, but tend to forget to just bump leds, lol. They are all back on the bottom, I want to group them as best as possible. I think I will chill for awhile, but really wanted Jesse's Peng's Purple Tip Granulosa, and FHC He'll on Earth. The other puck ups are smooth as well, to further my smoothie addiction, lol :)

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man this sucks,shouldn't have messed with that biological stability !!!

I was kicking the can down the road, knowing the sand was locked with nutrients, that only large water changes would help, something that needed to be addressed.
Not to worry, I am confident that this is a speedbump, not a crash ;)
Give me a month or so ;)
See you soon guys!

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My treatment:
1. Heavy treatment of Boyd's Chemi Clean cyano treatment- 90 gallon system, dosed for 120 gallon system.
2. Pull carbon, disable skimmer
3. Wait 24 hours
4. 20 gallon water change, or 25%, then an additional 15 gallons to run skimmer back to normal, using 15 gallons to settle skimmer- 50-60% total water change.
5. 1 drop nitrifying bacteria per 5 gallons. 7 total drops AF Bio S
6. Run UV
7. Dim whites and disable t5s
8. Add 2 vials of Prodibio Reef Booster
9. Kalkwasser schedule not interrupted, ESV discontinued until minerals deplete consistently.
10. Run basic Berlin method with passive carbon until corals mend.

This method has been my go to, in this case, with stinging dinos, I didn't black out, and siphoned, replace sock daily. So far, I believe that the tank is reset, now time to manage nutrients and alk.
The rest is just time :)

eg8r210

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My treatment:
1. Heavy treatment of Boyd's Chemi Clean cyano treatment- 90 gallon system, dosed for 120 gallon system.
2. Pull carbon, disable skimmer
3. Wait 24 hours
4. 20 gallon water change, or 25%, then an additional 15 gallons to run skimmer back to normal, using 15 gallons to settle skimmer- 50-60% total water change.
5. 1 drop nitrifying bacteria per 5 gallons. 7 total drops AF Bio S
6. Run UV
7. Dim whites and disable t5s
8. Add 2 vials of Prodibio Reef Booster
9. Kalkwasser schedule not interrupted, ESV discontinued until minerals deplete consistently.
10. Run basic Berlin method with passive carbon until corals mend.

This method has been my go to, in this case, with stinging dinos, I didn't black out, and siphoned, replace sock daily. So far, I believe that the tank is reset, now time to manage nutrients and alk.
The rest is just time :)
Hello Perry,
I just went through Dinos myself. Biggest difference between my process and yours was that I increased my feeding quite a bit and I started adding a bottle of tisbe pods each week at night and dose phyto each day and I did not bother with the Chemi Clean. I think shutting down the skimmer will in effect do the same as my increased feeding but it was a difference I noted. Most important is to just get more nutrients in teh water to help boost your good bacteria to start multiplying quicker and outcompete the Dinos (this is what was explained to me at least).

My main reason for the pods was the BRS videos that they did recently where they talked about the pods eating this crap by the bucket loads. I think everything combined was extremely effective with one major surprise. My rock work has never been so darn clean. I am quite certain I will stay on top of the pod population from here on out until there is a change for the negative. I have never seen the rock so clean.

Edit- I forgot to add that I also vacuumed the tank daily. Every day I had massive amounts of detritus all over the bottom of the tank and the rocks. I was told that it was Dinos that died the previous day. I could swish my hand and the tank turned in to a snow globe. So, I vacuumed that out every day along with all the Dinos I could see into the sock right before I swapped the socks out for new ones.

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Perry,
I just went through Dinos myself. Biggest difference between my process and yours was that I increased my feeding quite a bit and I started adding a bottle of tisbe pods each week at night and dose phyto each day and I did not bother with the Chemi Clean. I think shutting down the skimmer will in effect do the same as my increased feeding but it was a difference I noted. Most important is to just get more nutrients in teh water to help boost your good bacteria to start multiplying quicker and outcompete the Dinos (this is what was explained to me at least).

My main reason for the pods was the BRS videos that they did recently where they talked about the pods eating this crap by the bucket loads. I think everything combined was extremely effective with one major surprise. My rock work has never been so darn clean. I am quite certain I will stay on top of the pod population from here on out until there is a change for the negative. I have never seen the rock so clean.

Edit- I forgot to add that I also vacuumed the tank daily. Every day I had massive amounts of detritus all over the bottom of the tank and the rocks. I was told that it was Dinos that died the previous day. I could swish my hand and the tank turned in to a snow globe. So, I vacuumed that out every day along with all the Dinos I could see into the sock right before I swapped the socks out for new ones.

Hi Ed,
I am fairly certain that the sand removal caused this, more like 100%.
I do however want to mention that the sand addition, the updated skimmer, carbon dosing, bacteria dosing, adding a fuge, removing a fuge and finally adding several liters of siporax and AF Life Bio Fil, and still a rise in N03 and nothing, except large water changes would keep them down. The acros seemed fine in the elevated nutrient scenario, but I think my rock is really the culprit, but the sand was also locking in nutrients. So, something needed to be done, the underlying issue needed to be addressed. I have been watching layers of rock shed, this is a tell, and further explains my source of bound nutrients. Disturbing this biome resulted in a massive bacteria shift. Along came dinos.
Update:
All my corals are rebounding, and this appears to be a speed bump. Hung's Rainbow, Thermans Swearwolf, Pengs Cherry Tip, new additions, and a few others looking rough, but look to be on the mend. I did not have any hiccups with my non-smoothies, and didn't skip a beat. The dino strands always gather on the thin branch corals, so all in all, not bad. I continue to do daily siphoning, moving as much as possible to the filter sock, then change daily after as well. The tank continues to improve, and each day, the tank is cleaner and cleaner. Most people wouldn't notice. I am VERY OCD, so I do :)
I removed all bio media, discontinued all dosing, except KZ FWS. I run UV in the sump, and passive carbon, skim, filter sock, feed fish, and that's it. Keep in mind, the water was 50% changed out over this past weekend. N03-15ppm and P04-.12ppm This is quite close to where the nutrients will be targeted.
All in all, I am chilled out about the whole ordeal, and not frustrated at all.

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted to update by saying that the transition to BB is finally getting to that stable point. Dinos are still creeping, but a daily siphon into the sock, followed by replacement, and nitrifying bacteria(AF Bio S)to stabilize the biome subsequently. I disabled UV, and at this point have suspended all dosing except minerals, Bio S, and KZ FWS. I use passive carbon and protein skimmer, and that's it.
Corals are all healthy and bouncing back in full fury and glory. Tenuis corals are having a growth spurt, despite dino issues. All non smoothies look fantastic, even better, as nutrients have come down since going bb. Smoothies are all mending, but the Tyree Purple Dragon Eyes, Therman's Swearwolf, Hung's Rainbow, Sweetreef Golden Flame, TGC Creamsicle, TGC Sour Granulosa, are sketchy, a few more has slight tip damage, the other 20 or so look normal. All in all, I believe that all should pull through, but a few are questionable. Time will tell...
Ph is now 8.1 at low, 8.5 at peak, hoping to reduce the swing, just have to experiment a bit with dosing times. This has truly helped in corals health, growth is undeniable.
Finally, I received confirmation on my new tank, my DIY sump is here, wall drilled, so all good for the upgrade. Tank should be here mid April, still debating on running the current tank too. If I do, these 2 tanks will share one sump. The sump is a 75 gallon plastic water reservoir, it will be perfect for more tanks, as the tank studio is becoming a reality.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 34.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back