Perry's 90 Gallon Acro Dominant Bommie

JCOLE

Grower of the Small Polyps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some big news!
As it turns out, I have decided to go ahead and further the acro addiction!
I will be converting what WAS a playroom, into my Reef room. The current display will be moved into the room, where I will have a large 100 gallon Rubbermaid tote serve as a sump. My new Innovative Marine 3 foot cube lagoon will be plumbed through the wall into this same shared sump. This room is ducted with AC and was a converted garage. The room is beautiful, but unfortunately turned into a hoarders paradise after Cindy passed. So, I have been slowly getting the room cleaned out, so I gave it thought, and decided to make my maintenance work easier, let's face it, I am not getting younger, lol!!!
So, I will tag a new build thread, here I will document the room build out, and the cube build. I will be able to expand as time goes on, but this will get me organized :)
Yesterday FTS :)

20230204_093507.jpg

Very nice Perry! Yes, the addiction is strong in us! That sounds like a perfect plan for that room! I know the feeling of what you're about to go through! :) I am coming down to Central Florida in a couple months to see the family. I will reach out beforehand. Would love to check everything out and help you out with anything.

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

Follow me on IG- perrys_reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice Perry! Yes, the addiction is strong in us! That sounds like a perfect plan for that room! I know the feeling of what you're about to go through! :) I am coming down to Central Florida in a couple months to see the family. I will reach out beforehand. Would love to check everything out and help you out with anything.

Sweet bro!
I look forward to meeting you in person, hopefully I will have things organized around here, lol :)

SamMule

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey man. Tank and corals are looking fantastic! Are you still running skimmerless? No refugium or carbon dosing to control nutrients?
I'm setting up a 75g AIO right now and going to attempt going skimmerless. May try some chaeto, but want to keep it simple.

Keep up the good work!

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey man. Tank and corals are looking fantastic! Are you still running skimmerless? No refugium or carbon dosing to control nutrients?
I'm setting up a 75g AIO right now and going to attempt going skimmerless. May try some chaeto, but want to keep it simple.

Keep up the good work!

Hey Sam!
Thank you for the kind words brother!
Currently I run a huge skimmer, 2 liters siporax, 2 liters Life Bio Fil, Prodibio every 2 weeks, and bacteria, alternate with AF Pro Bio S, Bio S, and BW MB7, every few days. I use AF carbon passive, water change wirh AF Reef Salt weekly.
The biomedia is for more surface area for bacteria. Nutrients are relatively high with N03-24ppm, and P04-.18ppm
I feed very heavy with frozen, and try to remove aggressive, but Nutrients still a touch high, hence the Prodibio, bacteria, and biomedia.

SamMule

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, thanks! Those nutrients don't seem bad at all to me haha. My RSM250 is a dirty girl. No3 usually 25ish and PO4 .3-.4. Sometimes over .5

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, thanks! Those nutrients don't seem bad at all to me haha. My RSM250 is a dirty girl. No3 usually 25ish and PO4 .3-.4. Sometimes over .5

No not too bad, but my smoothies seem to look better when nutrients get lower, but we can't have it all, lol. The acros all seem to appreciate the bacteria additions :)

flyfisher2

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the kind words, it's been a tough year and a half. Reefing has helped tremendously! We all have a story, 2021-2022 we're full of loss, but the losses have fueled a re-newed better version of myself. I know Cindy would be thrilled to see me enjoying the tank she bought me, lol :)
Cheers!
I can so relate to this and truly wish you the best. I’ve been where you are and will tell you that as time passes it will be more tolerable.
If you search my history back to 2013 you’ll see my start.
I often think of what Eve would do if she could see my progress or lack of. Lol

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can so relate to this and truly wish you the best. I’ve been where you are and will tell you that as time passes it will be more tolerable.
If you search my history back to 2013 you’ll see my start.
I often think of what Eve would do if she could see my progress or lack of. Lol

Oh wow, thank you so much for the kind words! I saw your journal for Eve, or "Cory' Girls". I am also sorry for your loss, I know the pain never ends, regardless of how much time passes. The fishroom studio was Cindy's hair studio, so these past 2 weekends of finally addressing her personal effects was difficult. A year and a half already, but to me it's still raw. Anyway, cleaning out the room was necessary, so new inspiration, and letting go, all good my friend! I know she is very happy to see me beginning to live again, sometimes it feels awkward, but also necessary :) Thank you again for the kind words!

flyfisher2

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh wow, thank you so much for the kind words! I saw your journal for Eve, or "Cory' Girls". I am also sorry for your loss, I know the pain never ends, regardless of how much time passes. The fishroom studio was Cindy's hair studio, so these past 2 weekends of finally addressing her personal effects was difficult. A year and a half already, but to me it's still raw. Anyway, cleaning out the room was necessary, so new inspiration, and letting go, all good my friend! I know she is very happy to see me beginning to live again, sometimes it feels awkward, but also necessary :) Thank you again for the kind words!
This month marked 10 years since Corygirls passing.thank you for taking the time look. I know what it is to go through personal items and the memories they pop up. That will always be there. I try and remember things that make me smile. Enjoy our hobby I’ll be tagging along and I’ll chime in from time to time. Really looking to see how that room turns out.

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love your tanks. I’m just getting back into the hobby, never was a stick guy, but looks like I may have a future goal.
Cheers

Good morning!
Thank you very much :)
Careful, the stick addiction is a "real" thing, and once bitten, there's no escape, lol ;)
Hope all goes well as you get your feet wet again!
Cheers

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For anyone interested in an observation/test I have been running for a couple months:
I decided to implement kalkwasser to boost ph. I maxed my doser at 2000ml per day. Now, I average around 3500ml of evaporation per day, so the top off continues to run, but not used as often. That said, I have seen ph really change. From 7.8 at night and 8.1 during the day, to 8.0 at night and 8.3 during the day. Here's the thing, I am still using the same amount of ESV 2 part at 30ml each per day.
Observation: polyp extension is crazy, colors nice, growth is taking off. That said, I truly NOW believe that ph is a game changer. I am now going to use an old school plug in timer, using 15 minute increments, have kalkwasser on every hour for 15 minutes for 8 hours per day. This with the Milwaukee MP810 at 25ml per minute, works out to 3000ml per day. This still keeps me slightly less than evaporation, which is good. I will use the doser during dark hours, to maintain ph. I will likely add 1 to 2 more increments as necessary, still being around evaporation consumption. Just curious to see if more health benefits can be achieved, from what I can tell, the coral response is quite positive.
Thanks for following :)

t5Nitro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome, Perry! Let us know how difficult the implementation is with regards to maintaining the kalk reactor. I've been toying with adding one but wasn't sure I'd be home enough to regularly keep up with maintaining a reactor.

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome, Perry! Let us know how difficult the implementation is with regards to maintaining the kalk reactor. I've been toying with adding one but wasn't sure I'd be home enough to regularly keep up with maintaining a reactor.

Actually not using nor plan on using a reactor, I use a sealed 5 gallon food grade cambro from restaurant supply store. They have matching lids and the plastic, not lexan, seal very tight. That said, I mix at 2 tsp per gallon, and mix, then drip the clear fluid by suspending the dosing line intake around an inch or so from the bottom to avoid dosing slurry. HTH's :)

lubeck

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t prove it has to do with kalk but I have seen an uptick in my two part when my ph hovers 8.3-8.4 during the day and above 8.1 at night. I run 1500 ml on 27 gal of water and do 10ml of two part. I’m about to up to 15ml cause alk is hovering a lil low at 7.4. I want it closer to 8.

don’t use a reactor either.

I’ve started dosing 1ml of flatworm stop daily this week for coral health.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 21.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 34.7%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 65 32.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%
Back