Petco Fish?

Reefing102

Metal Halides Til The End
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, to continue to this thread I have a what would you do? Petco is shipping me out a medium purple tang on Monday I believe to get here Tuesday. Now, I have the 1.5in small purple tang in the 20 gal qt with copper in it and it is eating frozen, flake, nori, and trying to eat pellets that are just a little too big, and active once you don't stand in front of the tank and doing great! But, with the other purple tang coming in on Tuesday and the only tanks I have is my QT and the display would you

A) Add the new purple tang to the qt with the current purple tang see how they get along, and have a divider ready.
B) Add the new purple tang to the qt with the current purple tang and divide them immediately.

The thing is I didn't plan to have two purple tangs and I am still in a toss-up to get rid of one after I QT the full 30 days just because I get too attached to fish. If they don't seem aggressive towards each other after 15 days I pull the divider and see how they interact with each other and maybe add both of them to my 55-gallon display. With the plan already to upgrade tanks as I have very little new coral room already. Is that a bad idea? Would it be smarter to give them the full 30 days with a divider and add them to the tank together to introduce them? Or should I just only add one to the display as one purple tang is already pushing it for my current tank size? What would you do, with Petco just practically gifting you a free purple tang and you already have one?
I would add a divider immediately but that’s just me. A simple egg crate divider would likely do the trick. Even in a 55, that’s likely too small for two of them.

Could always ship the smaller one to me jk

In all seriousness, unrelated to the quote above, I got my snails and crabs in on Tuesday as well. Had a couple DOA crabs but not worth the call for me otherwise everything arrived healthy and both heat packs were still warm. Only “issue” I have is it appears they may use UPS Next Day Air Saver which doesn’t guarantee that before noon delivery. My snails and crabs didn’t arrive til about 3pm. But this is my second order from Petco online and honestly can’t complain.

OP
OP
ajremington68

ajremington68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Little add-on, got the replacement for my purple tang. Came in at about 2.25in and was very healthy. Great shipping again with updates and hot heat packs nothing to complain about. Overall, 10/10 from shipping, customer service, and fish quality from Petco's wholesalers.
Made a DIY divider out of plexi glass I had lying around and came out very nice and got a 20-gallon running split in half for the two tangs. My small purple has been super shy hiding in the PVC for the last week. But now with his (POTENTIAL) new tank mate on the other side, boy oh boy has he spiced up. Has been out now all day flexing and flaring at the new bigger purple tang.
The plan is to keep them side by side for a 30-day QT starting now, put some size on the little guy get them super comfortable with each other, and see if I can have them in my 55-gallon display together. If not I have a 20-gallon softy tank I can put one in until I find it a new home. And yes yes I know about the tangs in too small of a tank, but they are small and the tank isn't overstocked I plan on upgrading my tank to a 100-gallon+ by the end of 2024.

A little video of them together. SO INCREDIBLY EXCITED, they are so dang pretty!!!

Attachments

• IMG_2903.mp4
    7.3 MB

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 33 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 154 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.2%
Back