Petco Issues

uall8up

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am currently having a HUGE problem with Petco. I have a pair of Harlequin Shrimp and most of us know that their diet consists of starfish. I have a couple of Lfs's that occasionally sell chocolate chip starfish that are about the size of a silver dollar. Petco has pretty good size starfish. Now, for the problem, I have asked the employees to please order at least 2 a week for the next several weeks. I will be putting them in my seahorse tank until needed. The first request was ignored. I went back into the store a week later and spoke to the same employee, she showed me the request that she wrote in the book the week before. I gave her my name and phone number and asked her to have the boss order them and call me when they came in. Well, day before yesterday, the gal that does the ordering called me and asked me why was I wanting so may starfish and I told her that I have Harlequin Shrimp. Then she told me that the regional manager told her to tell me that they will no longer sell the starfish to me because I am using them as food. I asked her what business is it of theirs what I do with them. No response. I then said "what if I by them to put in my seahorse tank?" I was told that they will sell me one. I asked her "so, you are telling me that you will never sell me another starfish?" and she said "no, we will not". Yesterday I called customer service and spoke to Anthony and explained the prior day. I asked him since Petco sells Harlequin Shrimp why won't they sell me the food to feed it. He as completely dumbfounded. He said he was going to send the report to he GM of the store and then he asked me if I wanted a call back from the GM....OF COURSE!! Now, am I just dumb, but isn't the regional manager higher up than the general manager? It has been almost 24 hours since I made the complaint, with no call back. What do you think I should do now? :cry:

juggalogentry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
find another source, they wont usually sell feeder mice or goldfish either, just company policy and mass confusion... Congrats you have tortured petco!:caked:

OP
OP
U

uall8up

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But they do sell feeder fish and mice. I doubt they ask anyone what they plan on doing with them.

juggalogentry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oh duh maybe its petsmart im thinking of, one of the two refused to sell mice to my buddy for his snake

EZMAC114

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They shouldn't have a problem selling you the starfish since more that 50% of the fish they get probably die from ich...at least that's how it looks at the petco by me. Not that starfish get ich or anything but they obviously don't have a handle on keeping fish alive lol

Last edited:
OP
OP
U

uall8up

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They shouldn't have a problem selling you the starfish since more that 50% of the fish they get probably die from ich...at least that's how it looks at the petco by me. Not that starfish get ich or anything but they obviously don't have a handle on keeping fish alive lol

Exactly!

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That just doesn't make sense.

ReeferRookie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
.... As upset as u might be im proud of petco for not selling pets for food. They have a strict policy against it always have and they stand by the policy. Anyways petco sells animals as pets thus they dont usually sell a high number of one specific animal due to the probability that the person is either using it for food or is selling it for more then they sold it for. Sorry for your troubles but thats just theyre policy theyre PET FRIENDLY lol. once they found out i was using the mouse to feed my snakes they banned me from buying mice. Im not mad its just their beliefs

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
.... As upset as u might be im proud of petco for not selling pets for food. They have a strict policy against it always have and they stand by the policy. Anyways petco sells animals as pets thus they dont usually sell a high number of one specific animal due to the probability that the person is either using it for food or is selling it for more then they sold it for. Sorry for your troubles but thats just theyre policy theyre PET FRIENDLY lol. once they found out i was using the mouse to feed my snakes they banned me from buying mice. Im not mad its just their beliefs

Petco does sell live feeder mice. I know this with absolute certainty. I find it to be unethical for them to sell harlequin shrimp and not have a viable food source available for sale to sustain them. If they did not sell harlequin shrimp, I would feel very differently in this situation.

jasonp87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is pretty crummy that they wont sell a necessary food for an animal they sell. If they stand behind their policy they need to not sell harlequins anymore.

Anyways, have you ever considered buying 3 or 4 stars and cutting off 1 limb at a time? This way you don't have to keep buying more stars. Cut leg 1 from star 1, then leg 1 from star 2 and so on. By the time you get back to star 1 leg 1 it should have grown back. This is a natural mechanism for star fish.

ReeferRookie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well then they shouldn't sell snakes. Or mice or ferrets or fish should i go on ? They sell pets. Not food. Its their policy why be upset go to another source ? They lose money not u

CastAway

Prone to wander, never lost.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder if some species even belong in the trade at all, harlequin shrimp being one. Maybe you could start a starfish tank, and just feed arms.

jasonp87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well then they shouldn't sell snakes. Or mice or ferrets or fish should i go on ? They sell pets. Not food. Its their policy why be upset go to another source ? They lose money not u

Mice, ferrets and fish don't require live food.

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Snakes don't require live food. They can be fed frozen. It is healthier for the snake. If your Petco does not sell crickets, they should not sell reptiles. It is irresponsible to sell pets and not have the proper food source for them.

Mallowolf

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm 100% certain that all of the petco's in my area sell feeders. Mice, rats, goldfish, bugs etc. Petsmart however doesn't sell mice or rats as food, they do however carry feeder fish and bugs.

Makes no sense that they won't sell you food that is necessary for an animal's survival. The petco's near me are awful. They get beautiful shipments of designer clowns and whatnot and then the next week they are all dead by the filter. :(

DaveMorris

MACNA2016 Co-Chair
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Petco here in San Diego sells feeder mice, crickets, etc. They also put choco stars in the tank to feed their Harlequins. And Petco is based here in San Diego so I know it is not a corporate policy to net sell live feeders of any type. PetSmart sells frozen feeder mice which is confusing to me because whats the difference between freezing a mouse to kill it for food and letting nature do it the way God intended?

Mallowolf

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Petco here in San Diego sells feeder mice, crickets, etc. They also put choco stars in the tank to feed their Harlequins. And Petco is based here in San Diego so I know it is not a corporate policy to net sell live feeders of any type. PetSmart sells frozen feeder mice which is confusing to me because whats the difference between freezing a mouse to kill it for food and letting nature do it the way God intended?

I have been working at a mom and pop store that specializes in reptiles and fish. I can say the reason why people use and prefer to use frozen mice is for the safety of the reptile. If a snake is not hungry and you just drop a live mouse/rat in it's cage the mouse/rat can actually kill a snake or do some nasty damage. It's just safer and easier. You just defrost them like you would chicken :p

ReeferRookie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been working at a mom and pop store that specializes in reptiles and fish. I can say the reason why people use and prefer to use frozen mice is for the safety of the reptile. If a snake is not hungry and you just drop a live mouse/rat in it's cage the mouse/rat can actually kill a snake or do some nasty damage. It's just safer and easier. You just defrost them like you would chicken :p
+1
I also have snakes but found they prefer their food alive. Needless to say most mice dont get time to react

reeffirstaid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The damage petco has done to this hobby, is disgusting and dis-graceful. I wrote an op-ed piece for Reef2Reef a while back about it, and it seemed to make folks angry that I targeted Petco, and not the hole in the wall LFS. Those LFS's are just as bad, it's simply that Petco does it on a massive scale. It's ironic that any store would sell an animal species, yet refuse to supply the other animal species it feeds on. Especially when said franchise sells a variety of other animal species, that prefer live food of some sort. At any rate, if you want to feed your harlequin long term, I would suggest adding asterina starfish to your refugium. Some folks (myself included) don't like the presence of asterina stars in a reef. They may, or may not, cause damage, but I prefer to err on the side of caution. They reproduce quickly and are abundant, if they procreate in a refuge, away from constant predation. These are a simply food source for harlequins, and much cheaper and easier than constantly providing starfish.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 103 75.7%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.0%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.9%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back