PH 8.8 INS SPS TANK

gasperagnes

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

My ph has maxed out 8.8. I am running Kalkwasser at 7.0 ml per minute on my 180-gallon sps tank. I am using a reef octopus re-circulating skimmer. My alk is steady at 8.2 to 8.5. I have read some posts and most people believe that Ph that high is usually a probe error. My questions are 1) Is it dangerous to run PH that high? My growth looks tremendous. 2) if I decide to bring the ph down by turning off the skimmer would I run the risk of screwing up the tank. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

warmest regards

DJF

know less, learn more
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my experience ph probes are finicky and like to be calibrated often. Running the skimmer less will increase your nitrates. If your nitrates are already on the high side it could negatively effect things. You could bring things down by dosing some 2part and less kalk.

OP
OP
G

gasperagnes

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my experience ph probes are finicky and like to be calibrated often. Running the skimmer less will increase your nitrates. If your nitrates are already on the high side it could negatively effect things. You could bring things down by dosing some 2part and less kalk.
i can run the skimmer without the scrubber. I am just curious if would be an issue just to stop running the scrubber and drop ph suddenly. Before I had a re-circulating skimmer and a scrubber my ph was around 8.3.

DJF

know less, learn more
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got it. It probably fluctuates that much during the course of a day. I don’t have direct experience with a scrubber; is that an algae scrubber? If so I would turn it off during tank daylight hrs. My first reaction tho would be to calibrate the probe. You’d be fine turning it off- it doesn’t suddenly drop.

spsick

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m going with probe drift. In my experience they always read a bit lower after recalibration.

OP
OP
G

gasperagnes

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got it. It probably fluctuates that much during the course of a day. I don’t have direct experience with a scrubber; is that an algae scrubber? If so I would turn it off during tank daylight hrs. My first reaction tho would be to calibrate the probe. You’d be fine turning it off- it doesn’t suddenly drop.
I calibrated it a few weeks ago. I will try doing it again to and see what happens

DJF

know less, learn more
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how old is the probe? They last about 1yr

DJF

know less, learn more
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yep. If it can’t stay calibrated, that’s a tell.

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i can run the skimmer without the scrubber. I am just curious if would be an issue just to stop running the scrubber and drop ph suddenly. Before I had a re-circulating skimmer and a scrubber my ph was around 8.3.
If your probe is good I would cut the scrubber (CO2 scrubber I assume) but not the aeration provided by the skimmer. You may find you are throwing money away.

radreef02

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yeah I run 8.2-8.5 with the same stuff on my 120 and I freaked when I hit 8.6 then tested with Hanna PH and it was 8.4. If you’re using Neptune apex stuff they should be calibrated every 1-2 months I’m told cus of this

It makes it hard though because it shuts off skimmer and kalk when ph is over 8.5

8.6 I’m sure is fine if it’s not a giant spike. 8.8 is probably bad tho

Tuan’s Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
My PH regularly reaches 8.6 without any issues to the inhabitants. You can turn off your scrubber so you don’t waste media but I leave mine on 24/7. As you noted growth is just ridiculous which makes me happy.

radreef02

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My PH regularly reaches 8.6 without any issues to the inhabitants. You can turn off your scrubber so you don’t waste media but I leave mine on 24/7. As you noted growth is just ridiculous which makes me happy.

Agreed with this, I’ve never seen sticks or LPS grow so quick and it’s only been 2 months with high pH lol

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
note that the higher the pH, the more likely is abiotic precipitation of calcium carbonate to be a problem. I agree that pH 8.6 is fine as long as you don’t trigger substantial precipitation.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 75 35.0%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 58 27.1%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 66 30.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 3.7%
Back