Ph low

MikeAndrews

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If using a ph probe make sure it is calibrated. Also check ph at the same time each day if possible. It will fluctuate day-night. Mine goes from 8.3 at nite to 8.1 during day

OP
OP
A

Alwmh4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How would you suggest switch over to limewater. If I'm at 7.8 and I use limewater as water change, the ph will swing dramatically right?

Adam Baggett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Start off with low doses then build them up slowly. Remember the snail wins the race in a salt water fish tank.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How would you suggest switch over to limewater. If I'm at 7.8 and I use limewater as water change, the ph will swing dramatically right?

You cannot change water with it.

Limewater is used to replace evaporated water. So that means something like 1 or 2% of the tank volume each day. Add it very slowly to avoid the pH spike, like with a very slow pump or a dripper. Dripping is a good speed. :)

OP
OP
A

Alwmh4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Co2 scrubber is raising ph by the way. I hooked it up today and within 2 hrs I saw noticiable diff in ph test color

OP
OP
A

Alwmh4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the water change, the salt water mix I am assuming is about 7. Changing out 3 ga with that low of a ph is my concern. Unless you add limewater to the 3 ga prior to change??

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A water change won't have a big impact on tank pH, even if the new salt water is a bit low in pH, but there's also no reason to assume it will be low. :)

Do not add limewater into new water change water. Too much potential for high pH and precipitation of calcium carbonate.

OP
OP
A

Alwmh4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
update: ph is holding at 8.2 over past few days. added maybe 1/2-1 cup of lime water over 3 days and a co2 scubber.

next question: What size carbon should I use? Ashamedly I have been using the fluval carbon at petsmart and have recently learned that low grade carbon can contribute to phosphates. So I am looking at the Rox brand. The offer small granules and large. Im also on a cycle of changing carbon once monthly. Have read that maybe every 2 weeks might be better but others say that it is unnecessary. Thoughts?
Where is a good place to get Rox from. Have seen a few places online. Obviously Im thinking the cheaper sites but am open to opinions on the subject.

OP
OP
A

Alwmh4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any ideas on how much of the rox premium carbon to use. Calculator says 1 tablespoon but sounds way low. tank is 17 ga. current carbon comes in a bag and looks like about 2 cups worth. I understand that its not the greatest product but seems like amount of rox would be similar

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Start low on ROX carbon and increase as needed. If the water is yellowed, adding a bunch all at once might light shock some corals. I use about a cup at a time in my 120 gallon display (300 total gallon ) system.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 172 72.6%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 7.2%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 42 17.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back