Physically damaged torch - skeleton hanging - what to do?

The Life Aquatic

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welp - this one is 100% on me. Was careless during a water change trying to get the back of the tank with a siphon and knocked a rock over that landed right on my torch.

It tore a piece of the skeleton off, but the tissue stayed attached and is basically hanging now.

Knowing how prone these are to infection and BJD I’m very nervous but also don’t think there’s anything to be done other than wait - agree?

I could try and cut the tissue and remove the hanging piece but I can’t see that being better.

This happened yesterday and 24 hours it’s still holding up. Not opening 100% but a decent amount.

IMG_3863.jpeg

crazyfishmom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welp - this one is 100% on me. Was careless during a water change trying to get the back of the tank with a siphon and knocked a rock over that landed right on my torch.

It tore a piece of the skeleton off, but the tissue stayed attached and is basically hanging now.

Knowing how prone these are to infection and BJD I’m very nervous but also don’t think there’s anything to be done other than wait - agree?

I could try and cut the tissue and remove the hanging piece but I can’t see that being better.

This happened yesterday and 24 hours it’s still holding up. Not opening 100% but a decent amount.

IMG_3863.jpeg
I would not touch it but be vigilant because it could become infected so you may need to dip.

musel101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wind-windy.gif
I would just make sure the current isn’t really strong in that spot

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once the skeleton is broken the flesh may separate and form a new frag that can survive. I accidentally broke a bubble coral and ended up with two. One got too big for my tank and I gave it to my friend at the LFS. The other struggled (got bumped a few more times) but lived and I traded it in also.

I would watch it closely to see if it separates and then relocate the frag to a stable spot, glue it down if you can and hope for the best.

These things must happen in the wild so keep the parameters stable and if it does go Bjd treat immediately for best results.

OP
OP
T

The Life Aquatic

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once the skeleton is broken the flesh may separate and form a new frag that can survive. I accidentally broke a bubble coral and ended up with two. One got too big for my tank and I gave it to my friend at the LFS. The other struggled (got bumped a few more times) but lived and I traded it in also.

I would watch it closely to see if it separates and then relocate the frag to a stable spot, glue it down if you can and hope for the best.

These things must happen in the wild so keep the parameters stable and if it does go Bjd treat immediately for best results.
It is indeed currently separating! Not in a pretty way, but it's happening. Glass may be half full, instead of damaging a prized torch I get a frag [fingers crossed].

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is indeed currently separating! Not in a pretty way, but it's happening. Glass may be half full, instead of damaging a prized torch I get a frag [fingers crossed].
I ripped a nem about a month ago and thought for sure they (both halves) were gonners. The largest piece is looking to be healed as it seperated from the tiny torn side in the last few days. The tiny (nickle sixed) nem looked great at first, but it shrunk back and is looking weak, but I won't give up on it. I think it has a good chance since it's "momma" has healed and is perking up now.

The sea is a place filled with survival experts. Get a bad leg, cut it off, grow over the scar and forget it ever happened. Keep up up dated. Best of luck! Stable parameters!

OP
OP
T

The Life Aquatic

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ripped a nem about a month ago and thought for sure they (both halves) were gonners. The largest piece is looking to be healed as it seperated from the tiny torn side in the last few days. The tiny (nickle sixed) nem looked great at first, but it shrunk back and is looking weak, but I won't give up on it. I think it has a good chance since it's "momma" has healed and is perking up now.

The sea is a place filled with survival experts. Get a bad leg, cut it off, grow over the scar and forget it ever happened. Keep up up dated. Best of luck! Stable parameters!
Of course I battled a 24 hour power outage that just ended but keeping things as stable as I can. When it rains it pours (literally, in this case).

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 33 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 26 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 118 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.4%
Back