Pink-streaked Wrasse for frag tank pest control

drolmaeye

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm about to fill up a little 30g frag tank and want to have a small wrasse (for pest control) that does not require a sand bed. I figured I would get a Six-line Wrasse (and may still do so), but also wondering if a Pink-streaked wrasse (Pseudocheilinops ataenia) would be a suitable alternative (especially in the context of pest control). Or should I consider something else altogether?

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sixlines really are pest destroyers. Pink streak would probably work too, but it's not going to be as efficient. They're much more cryptic and swim much more deliberately. Is it going to be the only fish? If the answer is NO I'd be more into the pink streak because it would be much more likely to play nice if you wanted to add another fish later.

OP
OP
drolmaeye

drolmaeye

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sixlines really are pest destroyers. Pink streak would probably work too, but it's not going to be as efficient. They're much more cryptic and swim much more deliberately. Is it going to be the only fish? If the answer is NO I'd be more into the pink streak because it would be much more likely to play nice if you wanted to add another fish later.
I was considering three fish total: small wrasse and Springer's Damsel for pests and Starry Blenny for algae (along with other things like Astrea Snails for algae).

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was considering three fish total: small wrasse and Springer's Damsel for pests and Starry Blenny for algae (along with other things like Astrea Snails for algae).
I'd go sixline then I think actually if you're adding all at once. Springeri and salarias blennies can both get pretty fiesty and can hold their own. I'd be a little worried a 30 may be too small for a full sized salarias blenny full grown starrys are BIG. IDk that there'd be enough film algae to keep it satisfied so Def make sure its eating at the store.

OP
OP
drolmaeye

drolmaeye

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd go sixline then I think actually if you're adding all at once. Springeri and salarias blennies can both get pretty fiesty and can hold their own. I'd be a little worried a 30 may be too small for a full sized salarias blenny full grown starrys are BIG. IDk that there'd be enough film algae to keep it satisfied so Def make sure its eating at the store.
You make a good point about the blenny and I may need to reconsider. Sometimes when I say something out loud (or write it in a forum) it helps me realize it may not be the best idea. It could start to get tight (especially as there will be very limited rockwork). I think I just wanted a Starry Blenny, LOL.

Anyway, still open to alternative stocking suggestions (for pest and algae control, but also interest), or any additional feedback about small wrasse choices.

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
here is my suggestion;

pink-streaked wrasse (pest-control)
court jester goby or hector goby (algae control/grazers)
springeri damsel (pest-control)

add the damsel last, and make sure to have sufficient caves/nooks where the goby and wrasse can escape to if the damsel gets too pushy. if things hit the fan(damsel being a bully), you can swap it with any other peaceful fish that can be housed in a 30G. your clean up crew and those two fish will be enough help to your tank if you have proper standard precautions (dipping/inspecting corals, or QT'ing)

edit: i would even go out and say that depending how much rockwork you have, and how much filtration, you can even add another fish or two..perhaps firefish, dart fish, or cardinal since they don't move much. but if your plan is to only have "utilitarian/work horse" fish, then disregard that.

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
here is my suggestion;

add the damsel last, and make sure to have sufficient caves/nooks where the goby and wrasse can escape to if the damsel gets too pushy. if things hit the fan(damsel being a bully), you can swap it with any other peaceful fish that can be housed in a 30G. your clean up crew and those two fish will be enough help to your tank if you have proper standard precautions (dipping/inspecting corals, or QT'ing)
This was exactly what I started typing as an alternative and deleted haha. I'd just keep a close eye on the springeri and how it interacts with the other 2 because as it ages it may bully since both court jesters and pink streaks have less of a spine than sixlines and starrys

ReefingDreams

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
here is my suggestion;

edit: i would even go out and say that depending how much rockwork you have, and how much filtration, you can even add another fish or two..perhaps firefish, dart fish, or cardinal since they don't move much. but if your plan is to only have "utilitarian/work horse" fish, then disregard that.
I agree with this 100%. But consider a trio of sapphire damsels. They tend to do fine in a group. And will help keep your nutrients up a bit. 6 lines can really turn on a dime and become a problem.

OP
OP
drolmaeye

drolmaeye

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really appreciate the feedback. I was not very familiar with these gobies. Either looks great and looks to be a better fit than the blenny, sizewise. I will try to go with the suggested stocking of Pink-streaked, goby, and Springeri. This further motivates me to finish the plumbing and get it leak-tested this weekend.

jkcoral

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my pink streaks, one of my favorite species of wrasse, but they are not productive at pest control whatsoever. They just look cute and are peaceful little guys.

With 30 gallons, you are probably limited to a small six line if you want something that will go to town on pests. Also, check out the wrasse lovers thread. One of the best threads on this site (if youre into wrasses).

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my pink streaks, one of my favorite species of wrasse, but they are not productive at pest control whatsoever. They just look cute and are peaceful little guys.
I must be lucky then… my pink streak (well, at the time I had the trio) decimated Monti Eating Nudibranchs. I’ve yet to have an issue with pests as even the remaining one has a keen eye and takes out pests I may have.
I may have the leopard but they aren’t known pest hunters and I’ve also never seen her eye up food near a coral.

I'm about to fill up a little 30g frag tank and want to have a small wrasse (for pest control) that does not require a sand bed. I figured I would get a Six-line Wrasse (and may still do so), but also wondering if a Pink-streaked wrasse (Pseudocheilinops ataenia) would be a suitable alternative (especially in the context of pest control). Or should I consider something else altogether?
I’d go Pink Streak over a Six, Sixlines are nasty as they mature and especially in a small tank. Pinkstreaks when added are shy but as they establish into a tank I’ve found they do become fairly boisterous.
I’d then swap the Salarias out for either;
Pictus Blenny
Two Spot Blenny (Escenius bimaculatus)
Court Jester Goby (IF you have the plan to have a sand bed)
Non-Mandarin Dragonet (Once established - these are good for hunting flatworms and no, they aren’t starved out by wrasses)

And the Damsels I’d also swap out for one of the fish mentioned above. Damsels are IME useless for pest killing compared to those guys. I’d swap the Blenny for another Blenny and the Damsel for the Goby or Dragonet personally.

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Non-Mandarin Dragonet (Once established - these are good for hunting flatworms and no, they aren’t starved out by wrasses)
like this one?
1706944774772.png

DanyL

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably something you already aware of, but worth mentioning anyway - wrasses are jumpers.

I too planned to have wrasses in my frag tank and brought 2 of them early on, however a frag tank is also a tank where you want to be able to view and easily access the corals from the top, and thus the use of a net or a cover isn’t always desirable.

Both of my wrasses, including a lawnmower Blenny jumped within 7 months unfortunately.

OP
OP
drolmaeye

drolmaeye

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I must be lucky then… my pink streak (well, at the time I had the trio) decimated Monti Eating Nudibranchs. I’ve yet to have an issue with pests as even the remaining one has a keen eye and takes out pests I may have.
I may have the leopard but they aren’t known pest hunters and I’ve also never seen her eye up food near a coral.

I’d go Pink Streak over a Six, Sixlines are nasty as they mature and especially in a small tank. Pinkstreaks when added are shy but as they establish into a tank I’ve found they do become fairly boisterous.
Pictus Blenny

And the Damsels I’d also swap out for one of the fish mentioned above. Damsels are IME useless for pest killing compared to those guys. I’d swap the Blenny for another Blenny and the Damsel for the Goby or Dragonet personally.

Okay, I definitely like the idea of the Ruby Red Dragonet.

Regarding the Court Jester Goby, I plan to have only a very thin (1/4" or 5 mm, or less) layer of sand just to cover the bottom. I am planning on using slightly larger grain size (Tropic Eden ~2.7 mm average size). Do you think this will be a problem for the Goby?

Probably something you already aware of, but worth mentioning anyway - wrasses are jumpers.

I too planned to have wrasses in my frag tank and brought 2 of them early on, however a frag tank is also a tank where you want to be able to view and easily access the corals from the top, and thus the use of a net or a cover isn’t always desirable.

Both of my wrasses, including a lawnmower Blenny jumped within 7 months unfortunately.

I appreciate you mentioning this. I already have a lid. I use the RedSea DIY and I use the crossbar (which serves as a nice handle). In practice, I've found I don't mind removing and replacing it multiple times per day for feeding and any maintenance on my existing DT. Of course I wish I didn't need one, but I'd rather deal with the lid than a loss.

Mhamilton0911

BitterSalty
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look into a tailspot blenny too. They are big algea eaters in a small package. I have one in a 15 cube. Peaceful but will defend a claimed cave/hidey spot so not usually a push over either.

jkcoral

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Pictus Blenny

Interesting. Those nudis must’ve looked like a nice big steak to the pinkies haha. I have never observed any pest control from my pink streaks, but I’d still vote for one just because they are such neat little guys.

And I agree on the six line. Angry little devils. Good at eating critters, but just down right hateful little creatures haha!

OP
OP
drolmaeye

drolmaeye

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hot take: counting on any wrasse to eat pests for you is a roll of the dice. Fish as pest control is always a toss up, as they usually learn food is not a concern.

Agree 100%. I am the one responsible for pest control using strict dipping protocol, careful examination, good general hobby hygiene, and intervention when necessary.

I simply like the fish part of the hobby too much to not add a few, so I am choosing to add fish that could potentially play a supporting role.

I generally expect my fish to not do what I want them to do, LOL, and I still really enjoy having them. But if they do happen to be useful, that would just be a bonus.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hot take: counting on any wrasse to eat pests for you is a roll of the dice. Fish as pest control is always a toss up, as they usually learn food is not a concern.
I agree with this to some extent, the known hunting wrasses will always hunt for pests (whether that’s Pods or actual pests you never know) however species like copperbands, filefish and such that are bought to go for aiptasia will always be 50/50.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 31 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 112 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.3%
Back