Pitho crab molt?

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all, and happy Friday to all who celebrate! So I have 3 Pitho crabs which ar of course awesome, but I have had them for a couple months now and have seen the molt from one. Does anyone here know how often they might molt? I can not find anything about this species on the internet.

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know about pitho crabs specifically, but most marine crabs molt every few months to a year, depending on their age.

I wouldn't worry about it too much, as long as the crabs are healthy and they have a source of iodine, you should be fine.

It's also possible they have molted, but it was quickly eaten up by a CUC memeber, if you have any, before you saw.

OP
OP
Sophie"s mom

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know about pitho crabs specifically, but most marine crabs molt every few months to a year, depending on their age.

I wouldn't worry about it too much, as long as the crabs are healthy and they have a source of iodine, you should be fine.

It's also possible they have molted, but it was quickly eaten up by a CUC memeber, if you have any, before you saw.
Thank you, yeah I have a lot of CUC! I just ask because one of my crabs is missing 1 of his claws on one side and 3 of his legs on the other :angry-face: I don’t know how it al happened but he seems fine, so I just want him to molt and get his limbs back:)

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 50 40.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 12.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 33 26.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 23 18.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%
Back