Please help a stresshead

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
‘I started the tank on the 21st July’ - see the ammonia drop date from a cycling chart. None are over two months out

ammonia control is the only parameter that matters, specifically nitrite and nitrate do not, we don’t need to know them in any reef tank cycle when using updated cycling science.

-the presence of fish and the food they command will cycle the tank in three weeks independent from any other cycle additions, we are past that time too.

‘I had a diatom bloom and some green algae’
rule of benthic visual cues in cycling. At no time is a system uncycled for basic ammonia control when it was given enough time underwater for diatoms or cyano or algae to grow. When you can see new aquatic growths in place, they come on top of already established cycling bacteria.

‘A week later I added a Tailspot Blenny and a Strawberry lipped conch’

thats a decent bioload carried for two months. If the tank was uncycled, a fourth of that bioload would have crashed it in the first week.

‘The corals are:

Green Sinularia Finger Leather - Not doing well at all. Shows signs of wanting to be happy and then goes back to sulking.

Hairy Rhodactis Mushroom - Growing nicely and looks good.

Purple Bee Zoanthid - Not doing badly and some new heads have grown.

The other thing that I've had lately is a big influx of spirorbid worms which people say are a good thing.’

importing that much surface area alone just in corals brings in a massive amount of cycling bac and 30 days is enough for them to transmit the nitrifiers around the system to handle the surfaces that didn’t import them. Having an explosion spirorbid worms cast around the tank is secondary visual benthic clue cycle verification beyond the algae phase.

at no point did the stated levels for the non digital tests apply in discerning this cycle status, they are usually misreads, we only got lucky they showed low levels here.

OP
OP
C

ConchLife

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
‘I started the tank on the 21st July’ - see the ammonia drop date from a cycling chart. None are over two months out

ammonia control is the only parameter that matters, specifically nitrite and nitrate do not, we don’t need to know them in any reef tank cycle when using updated cycling science.

-the presence of fish and the food they command will cycle the tank in three weeks independent from any other cycle additions, we are past that time too.

‘I had a diatom bloom and some green algae’
rule of benthic visual cues in cycling. At no time is a system uncycled for basic ammonia control when it was given enough time underwater for diatoms or cyano or algae to grow. When you can see new aquatic growths in place, they come on top of already established cycling bacteria.

‘A week later I added a Tailspot Blenny and a Strawberry lipped conch’

thats a decent bioload carried for two months. If the tank was uncycled, a fourth of that bioload would have crashed it in the first week.

‘The corals are:

Green Sinularia Finger Leather - Not doing well at all. Shows signs of wanting to be happy and then goes back to sulking.

Hairy Rhodactis Mushroom - Growing nicely and looks good.

Purple Bee Zoanthid - Not doing badly and some new heads have grown.

The other thing that I've had lately is a big influx of spirorbid worms which people say are a good thing.’

importing that much surface area alone just in corals brings in a massive amount of cycling bac and 30 days is enough for them to transmit the nitrifiers around the system to handle the surfaces that didn’t import them. Having an explosion spirorbid worms cast around the tank is secondary visual benthic clue cycle verification beyond the algae phase.

at no point did the stated levels for the non digital tests apply in discerning this cycle status, they are usually misreads, we only got lucky they showed low levels here.
Fantastic, appreciate you taking the time to break that down for me. I'll continue with weekly 10% water changes then :D

OP
OP
C

ConchLife

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Video from the start of August when my Tailspot Blenny wasn't happy with having sand in his house.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curved R2R Welcome 3-31-23 2.0.png

OP
OP
C

ConchLife

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Progress!

I've been feeding more for the last week or so because I was definitely underfeeding imo.

Tested parameters at 12pm today...

Alk - 6
pH - 8.1
Ammonia - 0
Nitrate - 4.2!
Calcium - 340
Phosphate - <0,02
Magnesium - 1290

Did a 10L water change a few hours later. The alk of the new water was 8 and the calcium was 455.

Tested alk and calcium a few hours after the water change, alk was still at 6 but calcium is up to 370.

Fish and CUC all doing well.

Mushroom and zoas doing well, leather showing occasional small signs of improvement.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 17 8.0%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 36 17.0%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 142 67.0%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 5.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.8%
Back