Please help a stresshead

ConchLife

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone, been reading the forums for a few months but haven't registered until now.

Brand new to the hobby and starting with a Fluval Evo 13.5 (52L).

My head is going to explode from all the different advice that I've had from various different sources and I would like some help please :)

I'm fully ready to get criticised for how this has played out as well...

Based on advice from my very popular and reputable LFS, I started the tank on the 21st July with a 100ml bottle of JBL Denitrol and later that same day, I added a pair of clownfish, a fire shrimp and 3 corals (in hindsight, adding corals at this point seemed like bad advice and strikes me as the LFS trying to make more £).

About 6 or 7 days later, I had a diatom bloom and some green algae on my rocks so I added 2 trochus snails and 2 nassarius snails (I started with non-live sand and dry rock).

I was testing twice a week and not seeing a great deal of anything. The pH was good at around 8.1-8.3. Ammonia, nitrites, nitrates and phosphates barely showing anything. My alkalinity dropped to as low as 3/4dkh at one point so I was adding 1/4 tsp of Bicarbonate of soda each night to increase that by 1dkh per day until it got to about 8dkh.

A week later I added a Tailspot Blenny and a Strawberry lipped conch - that's me done as far as livestock goes in a tank of this size.

Basically, I'm 6 weeks in and today I've done a 10L water change (LFS said to wait 6 weeks til first water change). I wanted to do the water change because my calcium was down at 325. I'll test again tomorrow but as of yesterday, I still wasn't seeing any nitrates or phosphates, I've been adding half a capful of Brightwell Aquatics MicroBacter7 every night for the last few weeks on the advice of a different LFS but I think I should stop this now tbh.

I've been changing the filter floss in the top of chamber 1 every few days, could this be slowing things down? Am I removing the organic matter that the bacteria wants to feed on?

I suppose the reason that I'm posting this is because I kind of feel that I don't know what I'm doing or whether the tank has cycled or not. Everything is alive and well which is obviously a good sign.

The corals are:

Green Sinularia Finger Leather - Not doing well at all. Shows signs of wanting to be happy and then goes back to sulking.

Hairy Rhodactis Mushroom - Growing nicely and looks good.

Purple Bee Zoanthid - Not doing badly and some new heads have grown.

The other thing that I've had lately is a big influx of spirorbid worms which people say are a good thing.

My test kit is the JBL Combiset.

I did see a very small nitrite spike last week.

Sorry for the essay, I'm probably overthinking the whole thing, apologies if I've missed anything and please go easy on me

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Hi everyone, been reading the forums for a few months but haven't registered until now.

Brand new to the hobby and starting with a Fluval Evo 13.5 (52L).

My head is going to explode from all the different advice that I've had from various different sources and I would like some help please :)

I'm fully ready to get criticised for how this has played out as well...

Based on advice from my very popular and reputable LFS, I started the tank on the 21st July with a 100ml bottle of JBL Denitrol and later that same day, I added a pair of clownfish, a fire shrimp and 3 corals (in hindsight, adding corals at this point seemed like bad advice and strikes me as the LFS trying to make more £).

About 6 or 7 days later, I had a diatom bloom and some green algae on my rocks so I added 2 trochus snails and 2 nassarius snails (I started with non-live sand and dry rock).

I was testing twice a week and not seeing a great deal of anything. The pH was good at around 8.1-8.3. Ammonia, nitrites, nitrates and phosphates barely showing anything. My alkalinity dropped to as low as 3/4dkh at one point so I was adding 1/4 tsp of Bicarbonate of soda each night to increase that by 1dkh per day until it got to about 8dkh.

A week later I added a Tailspot Blenny and a Strawberry lipped conch - that's me done as far as livestock goes in a tank of this size.

Basically, I'm 6 weeks in and today I've done a 10L water change (LFS said to wait 6 weeks til first water change). I wanted to do the water change because my calcium was down at 325. I'll test again tomorrow but as of yesterday, I still wasn't seeing any nitrates or phosphates, I've been adding half a capful of Brightwell Aquatics MicroBacter7 every night for the last few weeks on the advice of a different LFS but I think I should stop this now tbh.

I've been changing the filter floss in the top of chamber 1 every few days, could this be slowing things down? Am I removing the organic matter that the bacteria wants to feed on?

I suppose the reason that I'm posting this is because I kind of feel that I don't know what I'm doing or whether the tank has cycled or not. Everything is alive and well which is obviously a good sign.

The corals are:

Green Sinularia Finger Leather - Not doing well at all. Shows signs of wanting to be happy and then goes back to sulking.

Hairy Rhodactis Mushroom - Growing nicely and looks good.

Purple Bee Zoanthid - Not doing badly and some new heads have grown.

The other thing that I've had lately is a big influx of spirorbid worms which people say are a good thing.

My test kit is the JBL Combiset.

I did see a very small nitrite spike last week.

Sorry for the essay, I'm probably overthinking the whole thing, apologies if I've missed anything and please go easy on me
Sorry to hear and no criticism on this forum. Its a place where we learn. Sounds like the tank was immatuture to be stocked this quickly and upon bad advise from LFS - which i'd find a different one, things went wrong. While easy to care for coral, these could have waited until you had stable readings and water quality which will change with a new system
The cycle agent they gave you is ok, but you want good/effective bacteria such as MicroBacter XLM or Fritz zyme turbo 900. Additionally its best to start with ammonia chloride which will cause the ammonia to rise then fall. In a matter of days ammonia will drop to zero and nitrate too will fall. Through testing, when you see ammonia steady at zero and nitrate steady at 20 or below - You are cycled. You want to start with fish and stock slowly as fish will impact bioload getting the bacteria to go to work. You will see ammonia and no3 rise and fall at first which is normal. I suspect there is a filtration issue here also. By chance are you running a hang on Back unit only?
If so you are lacking other filter means. What means?
The power filter will polish water and trap particles via the cartridge. Assuming this is your method of filtration.
Chemical is what traps and breaks down chemical compounds such as feces and uneaten food often accomplished carbon and GFO
Biological is what utilizes the natural process of biological filtration such as use of ceramic nuggets, bio blocks, and microscopic bacteria surfaces as examples. Best it to add or use a hang on refugium such as Reef octopus or AquaMaxx unit and even add a hang on skimmer such as ice cap K1- or K2 100
Ammonia spike may have been very possible and often undetectable after the spike event.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
welcome33.gif
welcome33a.gif

ScottJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! Best advice I think I can give is to go slow. You said the livestock is doing well, that's good! You also said you are fully stocked with fish, that's very good, IMHO. ( I have the same tank and only keep one clown and a tailspot in it)

Generally, a 10% water change per week is recommended on a small tank to keep parameters where you want them. (I do a 2 gallon water change each week and seem to do ok)

The tank is going to go through an ugly stage when you will have different undesirable things growing in it. Best thing I can say about this is don't try to fight it by throwing all sorts of different "fixes" at it. Been there, done that. Made things worse. Just keep up with water changes and general cleaning, and let nature take it's course.

Ps, I vacuum my sand when I clean each week. some people do, some don't. I didn't used to, but I have had better luck now that I do. Just my 2 cents.

MDAquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear and no criticism on this forum. Its a place where we learn. Sounds like the tank was immatuture to be stocked this quickly and upon bad advise from LFS - which i'd find a different one, things went wrong. While easy to care for coral, these could have waited until you had stable readings and water quality which will change with a new system
The cycle agent they gave you is ok, but you want good/effective bacteria such as MicroBacter XLM or Fritz zyme turbo 900. Additionally its best to start with ammonia chloride which will cause the ammonia to rise then fall. In a matter of days ammonia will drop to zero and nitrate too will fall. Through testing, when you see ammonia steady at zero and nitrate steady at 20 or below - You are cycled. You want to start with fish and stock slowly as fish will impact bioload getting the bacteria to go to work. You will see ammonia and no3 rise and fall at first which is normal. I suspect there is a filtration issue here also. By chance are you running a hang on Back unit only?
If so you are lacking other filter means. What means?
The power filter will polish water and trap particles via the cartridge. Assuming this is your method of filtration.
Chemical is what traps and breaks down chemical compounds such as feces and uneaten food often accomplished carbon and GFO
Biological is what utilizes the natural process of biological filtration such as use of ceramic nuggets, bio blocks, and microscopic bacteria surfaces as examples. Best it to add or use a hang on refugium such as Reef octopus or AquaMaxx unit and even add a hang on skimmer such as ice cap K1- or K2 100
Ammonia spike may have been very possible and often undetectable after the spike event.
Great advice here. This is a pretty new tank with a lot going on in the early stages. Go slow. The ship may have sailed for that but your tank still has some growing to do and things need to stabilize. And welcome to the forum!

7of9

Resistance is Futile.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
High Five Boom GIF by TipsyElves.com

It’s rough when you’re getting advice from all directions. Try not to beat yourself up for any past mistakes! You did the best you could with what you knew and it sounds like everything is working out.

The biggest sign that things are going ok is how your livestock are doing. You say your fish and most of your corals are doing well, so that is a great sign. Be prepared for some tank uglies in the upcoming months as your tank matures and try not to overcorrect as they come.

This is a great place to ask questions and get advice. I don’t think you’ll find much judgment here. Everyone has been new to this at some point.

OP
OP
C

ConchLife

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, what a great set of people :D thanks a lot for the advice/welcomes/kind words!

Just to touch on something that @vetteguy53081 said, I have an InTank Media Basket in Chamber 1 which runs filter floss on the top, a bag of activated carbon in the middle and then some bio media at the bottom. Chamber 2 is the heater, Chamber 3 is the pump and ATO.

Try not to beat yourself up for any past mistakes! You did the best you could with what you knew and it sounds like everything is working out.

The biggest sign that things are going ok is how your livestock are doing. You say your fish and most of your corals are doing well, so that is a great sign
This is also very very true! :D

As I mentioned in my first post, I did a 10L water change yesterday and then I've just tested my parameters today, they look like this...

(I didn't add half a capful of the MicroBacter7 last night).

Salinity - 1.025
pH - 8.1 (aligning the colour on this one seems the most difficult :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:)
Ammonia - <0,05 according to my JBL test kit so I also did it with a Salifert kit and it looks to be 0 or 0.15
Nitrite - 0,025-0,05 - A very small showing
Nitrate - <0.5
Phosphate - <0,02
Calcium - 330
Magnesium - 1230

I'll inundate / bore you with some pictures now as well...

pH...
20230901_131828.jpg

20230901_131851.jpg

Ammonia...
20230901_133425.jpg

20230901_133707.jpg

20230901_133433.jpg

20230901_133441.jpg

Nitrite...
20230901_134546.jpg

20230901_134601.jpg

Nitrate...
20230901_140343.jpg

20230901_141248.jpg

The sad leather...
20230901_141256.jpg

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Wow, what a great set of people :D thanks a lot for the advice/welcomes/kind words!

Just to touch on something that @vetteguy53081 said, I have an InTank Media Basket in Chamber 1 which runs filter floss on the top, a bag of activated carbon in the middle and then some bio media at the bottom. Chamber 2 is the heater, Chamber 3 is the pump and ATO.

This is also very very true! :D

As I mentioned in my first post, I did a 10L water change yesterday and then I've just tested my parameters today, they look like this...

(I didn't add half a capful of the MicroBacter7 last night).

Salinity - 1.025
pH - 8.1 (aligning the colour on this one seems the most difficult :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:)
Ammonia - <0,05 according to my JBL test kit so I also did it with a Salifert kit and it looks to be 0 or 0.15
Nitrite - 0,025-0,05 - A very small showing
Nitrate - <0.5
Phosphate - <0,02
Calcium - 330
Magnesium - 1280

I'll inundate / bore you with some pictures now as well...

pH...
20230901_131828.jpg

20230901_131851.jpg

Ammonia...
20230901_133425.jpg

20230901_133707.jpg

20230901_133433.jpg

20230901_133441.jpg

Nitrite...
20230901_134546.jpg

20230901_134601.jpg

Nitrate...
20230901_140343.jpg

20230901_141248.jpg

The sad leather...
20230901_141256.jpg
If .15 ammonia- that would be high. Disregard nitrite testing as it’s irrelevant in marine tank but for freshwater

Propane

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_0525.jpeg
There are so many variables in reefing that the exact same piece of advice can be good or bad depending on the tank. People can argue any good or bad piece of advice into the ground and oddly enough both be right. But for me that’s part of the fun.

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome, glad you are here! I highly recommend watching BRS 52 weeks of reefing on YouTube. It is a very detailed, step by step introduction to setting up a reef tank for a new reefer. Best of luck, I think you are off to a great start despite the bad advice!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 20.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 74 34.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 33.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 9.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back