Return Pump: Sicce Nano w/VC Single RFG nozzle
Skimmer: Bubble Magus MiniQ nano
BioMedia: MarinePure Gems
Filtration: Chemi-Pure Blue
Heating: Inkbird 306T - LA 25 Watt Preset heater
Lighting: AI Prime
Primary Testing: Hanna Marine Master
Dosing: All For Reef 4X.25ml Daily out of Kamoer X1
Feeding: 1ml Red Sea ReefEnergy AB+ (Broadcast), Custom Frozen Mix (Manual)
Vitamins: None
Dipping: Coral RX
Other Equipment: Custom overflow return cover, Media basket with custom cut filter cup tray, Kraken Filter Cup. Kraken lid with evaporation cover, Custom built ATO reservoir

I've been away from the hobby for a few years because of military service. But im back in now! I wanted to start with something that I ALWAYS wanted to do, a tiny nano. I settled on the Eshoppes Deskmate. It has been a very fun build so far with quite a few frustrations due to my design ideas, but it's coming along. I have a really fun space for it in the bedroom that would require a stand so I have built that out. That was the first step in the build. Eventually this will be moved to my office when I have everything set up the way I want.

The stand was pretty frustrating at first because of the size. I wanted it to fit neatly in the space that I had which was going to create some problems. I like a very clean stand that is well laid out on the inside and I like it the same size as the tank. Because of the tank's small size, it was going to create some stability issues if I wanted any height out of it. But I am confident I've fixed that issue. I built the stand out at about 30 inches tall and to the same footprint as the tank with multiple shelfs inside to house electronics, ATO reservoir and some accessories. It's built entirely out of 1X12 with pocket holes and is incredibly strong. After building the frame I sanded it smooth and filled in any gaps or screw holes with putty. A couple coats of paint and lacquer with sanding in between and it's done. I mounted a "foot" to the stand that can be anchored to the floor to prevent any possible stability issues This seemed to be the way to go, because it certainly could be a little wobbly at that height and width even when built perfectly square. The other option would be to build the foot a little beefier and use casters on it, but I hate that look so I went with the anchors. I am not adding any photos of the interior yet because it's not finished, I'm waiting on a couple components to completely finish the inside to 100%. I'll update the photos for that when it's done. In the end, the stand came out perfect.

unfinished stand
IMG_3130 copy.jpg
IMG_3170 copy.jpg

First photo of the stand unfinished, second photo of the stand finished and third photo of the "foot"

For the tank itself, most of the build was easy to decide on. I went with a Kessil A80 for the light, I love the Kessil shimmer and run it with a controller. I decided on a Bubble Magus MiniQ Skimmer because I like the cup, a Prism ATO, and an LA 25 watt preset heater run on an Inkbird controller for temperature monitoring redundancy. Everything has been going great with that for the most part. The only minor issue is dealing with micro bubbles from the skimmer, and tuning it took a lot longer than I thought, but it seems to be sorted out. it took about two weeks for that to get sorted out.

Now of the very frustrating part of this build. Filtration. I like my tanks to be automated or run with minimal interference. I hate filter socks. I will no the dealing with washing/replacing filter socks regularly. The out of the box solution is a filter cup with some floss which handles all of your mechanical filtration for you. I like a heavier filter load so I generally run media baskets in AIO tanks. This solves two problems. One, I get more filtration. Two, you generally need more flow with a basket to make sure water is sufficiently passing through the entire basket and this can be solve by upgrading the pump. After some research it seems a lot of people went with the IM mini which is DC (awesome) and comes with a controller and a max flow rate of 266gph which is almost triple the stock pump. When dialed back this would give me enough flow for the basket, any corals or livestock and with the controller, no need for a wave maker and the ability to use feed mode. I was stoked.

Having thought all of that out, all is good in the world because you can buy a media basket for this tank. This is where the problems start. Picked up my media basket and pump and quickly realized that I was going to need a dual return nozzle with this pump. No big deal, I added one from Vivid Creative. After having done that the flow from the pump was still too much even on the lowest setting. This was causing the display level to be too high which didn't allow for good water flow over the floss. At this point I was running a media basket with floss on top, carbon, and matrix. My solution there was to widen the overflow ports by cutting them out and putting a 3D printed cover over them to protect livestock. This helped a little but didn't solve the problem. The next solution was to lower the media basket some. So I cut it a little bit shorter. This also helped some but didn't solve it. Next I cut a larger hole in the bottom section of the media basket to allow for more flow and less contraction through the basket, again, some help but not enough.

IMG_3174 copy.jpg

photo of the first media basket cut down and with an added port to increase flow in the sump

All of this just brought me back to the filter sock, which I am in no way going to use. So I came up with solution #2. I got another media basket and had a piece of acrylic laser cut for a filter cup which I bonded to the basket. This ended up being a much better solution and nearly has solved the problem. However, it's not perfect. I still would like to get that water level down a little. In the end, I do think I am going to have to retreat to a smaller pump. I'll be picking up a Sicce nano today to see what that does. I know that 100GPH is not enough and the IM mini is too much. So we will see if this solves it. If it doesn't I will resort to a stock flow of 100GPH and add a tiny adjustable wavemaker.

IMG_3172 copy.jpg
IMG_3176 copy.jpg

First photo is the new system with the filter cup and media basket, second photo is just a top view

All in all it has been a very fun build. The scape was fun to build and put together. I completely bonded my scape to make it stable and drilled it to accept frag plugs which I left in for photos. The plugs usually live in my sump until they are in use. This lets them get a nice coating on them similar to what's on my scape. The next steps are to finish the inside of the cabinet once my order of supplies gets here and to add a small fish this week to speed things up. Probably a tiny goby. Looking forward to the future with this tank. Full equipment list to follow.

IMG_3181 copy.jpg
IMG_3182 copy.jpg
IMG_3178 copy.jpg

First Photo shows the scape, drilled plugs and overflow guard. next photo is the skimmer with maybe 4-5 days of skim and the last photo is the Kraken Cover

IMG_3177 copy.jpg

laser cut custom ATO reservoir. Made a little logo and had it engraved to make it look a little spicier. Painted it on arrival. Pretty happy with it.

Last edited:

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been away from the hobby for a few years because of military service. But im back in now! I wanted to start with something that I ALWAYS wanted to do, a tiny nano. I settled on the Eshoppes Deskmate. It has been a very fun build so far with quite a few frustrations due to my design ideas, but it's coming along. I have a really fun space for it in the bedroom that would require a stand so I have built that out. That was the first step in the build. Eventually this will be moved to my office when I have everything set up the way I want.

The stand was pretty frustrating at first because of the size. I wanted it to fit neatly in the space that I had which was going to create some problems. I like a very clean stand that is well laid out on the inside and I like it the same size as the tank. Because of the tank's small size, it was going to create some stability issues if I wanted any height out of it. But I am confident I've fixed that issue. I built the stand out at about 30 inches tall and to the same footprint as the tank with multiple shelfs inside to house electronics, ATO reservoir and some accessories. It's built entirely out of 1X12 with pocket holes and is incredibly strong. After building the frame I sanded it smooth and filled in any gaps or screw holes with putty. A couple coats of paint and lacquer with sanding in between and it's done. I mounted a "foot" to the stand that can be anchored to the floor to prevent any possible stability issues This seemed to be the way to go, because it certainly could be a little wobbly at that height and width even when built perfectly square. The other option would be to build the foot a little beefier and use casters on it, but I hate that look so I went with the anchors. I am not adding any photos of the interior yet because it's not finished, I'm waiting on a couple components to completely finish the inside to 100%. I'll update the photos for that when it's done. In the end, the stand came out perfect.

unfinished stand
IMG_3130 copy.jpg
IMG_3170 copy.jpg

First photo of the stand unfinished, second photo of the stand finished and third photo of the "foot"

For the tank itself, most of the build was easy to decide on. I went with a Kessil A80 for the light, I love the Kessil shimmer and run it with a controller. I decided on a Bubble Magus MiniQ Skimmer because I like the cup, a Prism ATO, and an LA 25 watt preset heater run on an Inkbird controller for temperature monitoring redundancy. Everything has been going great with that for the most part. The only minor issue is dealing with micro bubbles from the skimmer, and tuning it took a lot longer than I thought, but it seems to be sorted out. it took about two weeks for that to get sorted out.

Now of the very frustrating part of this build. Filtration. I like my tanks to be automated or run with minimal interference. I hate filter socks. I will no the dealing with washing/replacing filter socks regularly. The out of the box solution is a filter cup with some floss which handles all of your mechanical filtration for you. I like a heavier filter load so I generally run media baskets in AIO tanks. This solves two problems. One, I get more filtration. Two, you generally need more flow with a basket to make sure water is sufficiently passing through the entire basket and this can be solve by upgrading the pump. After some research it seems a lot of people went with the IM mini which is DC (awesome) and comes with a controller and a max flow rate of 266gph which is almost triple the stock pump. When dialed back this would give me enough flow for the basket, any corals or livestock and with the controller, no need for a wave maker and the ability to use feed mode. I was stoked.

Having thought all of that out, all is good in the world because you can buy a media basket for this tank. This is where the problems start. Picked up my media basket and pump and quickly realized that I was going to need a dual return nozzle with this pump. No big deal, I added one from Vivid Creative. After having done that the flow from the pump was still too much even on the lowest setting. This was causing the display level to be too high which didn't allow for good water flow over the floss. At this point I was running a media basket with floss on top, carbon, and matrix. My solution there was to widen the overflow ports by cutting them out and putting a 3D printed cover over them to protect livestock. This helped a little but didn't solve the problem. The next solution was to lower the media basket some. So I cut it a little bit shorter. This also helped some but didn't solve it. Next I cut a larger hole in the bottom section of the media basket to allow for more flow and less contraction through the basket, again, some help but not enough.

IMG_3174 copy.jpg

photo of the first media basket cut down and with an added port to increase flow in the sump

All of this just brought me back to the filter sock, which I am in no way going to use. So I came up with solution #2. I got another media basket and had a piece of acrylic laser cut for a filter cup which I bonded to the basket. This ended up being a much better solution and nearly has solved the problem. However, it's not perfect. I still would like to get that water level down a little. In the end, I do think I am going to have to retreat to a smaller pump. I'll be picking up a Sicce nano today to see what that does. I know that 100GPH is not enough and the IM mini is too much. So we will see if this solves it. If it doesn't I will resort to a stock flow of 100GPH and add a tiny adjustable wavemaker.

IMG_3172 copy.jpg
IMG_3176 copy.jpg

First photo is the new system with the filter cup and media basket, second photo is just a top view

All in all it has been a very fun build. The scape was fun to build and put together. I completely bonded my scape to make it stable and drilled it to accept frag plugs which I left in for photos. The plugs usually live in my sump until they are in use. This lets them get a nice coating on them similar to what's on my scape. The next steps are to finish the inside of the cabinet once my order of supplies gets here and to add a small fish this week to speed things up. Probably a tiny goby. Looking forward to the future with this tank. Full equipment list to follow.

IMG_3181 copy.jpg
IMG_3182 copy.jpg
IMG_3178 copy.jpg

First Photo shows the scape, drilled plugs and overflow guard. next photo is the skimmer with maybe 4-5 days of skim and the last photo is the Kraken Cover

Kessil A80 with custom shield
Custom overflow return cover
Media basket with custom cut filter cup tray
Kraken Filter Cup
Kraken lid with evaporation cover
IM mini return pump
Vivid Creative Dual Return Nozzle
Bubble Magus MiniQ Skimmer
Prism ATO
Custom built ATO reservoir
LA 25 Watt Preset heater
Inkbird Heater controller

IMG_3177 copy.jpg

laser cut custom ATO reservoir. Made a little logo and had it engraved to make it look a little spicier. Painted it on arrival. Pretty happy with it.
That logo is sweet! Also, nice looking tank!

7of9

Resistance is Futile.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These deskmates are SO cute! I really kind of want one. I might get one for my daughter or use one as a quarantine tank. I love the size and look of them.

Look forward to seeing this one grow!

OP
OP
MDAquatics

MDAquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These deskmates are SO cute! I really kind of want one. I might get one for my daughter or use one as a quarantine tank. I love the size and look of them.

Look forward to seeing this one grow!
I've thought of this often, it would make a great quarantine tank

Last edited:

7of9

Resistance is Futile.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm also liking your equipment list. I'm working on gathering equipment for a 32g biocube and hoping to play with automation on it. I'm planning to run a hydros controller on it and do ATO and AWC through that as well as hopefully a few other things.

People have come up with a lot of nice and creative add-ons for the deskmates.

OP
OP
MDAquatics

MDAquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm also liking your equipment list. I'm working on gathering equipment for a 32g biocube and hoping to play with automation on it. I'm planning to run a hydros controller on it and do ATO and AWC through that as well as hopefully a few other things.

People have come up with a lot of nice and creative add-ons for the deskmates.
Thanks, that's why I love it, so much innovation available in a little package, plus it can sit with me at work all day.

OP
OP
MDAquatics

MDAquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Updates:
I finally have the tank equipment set up and have everything the way I want it, so it's ready to move to my office. I did it this way building at home and moving it because it's much easier to tinker with it at home. Not all of the equipment has made the move yet but I will walk through what I have going on so far.

I moved the tank and the hearty of the operation to the office this week. I got it leveled and added the water and rock back in. You might notice the scape is a little different. I wasn't happy with the arch scape I had, it took up a ton of volume. I am however very happy wit the current scape. I like pillars a lot. Almost all of the equipment is moved with it so far. I haven't moved the light and i'm not in a rush because I'm cycling still. I do have a clown goby in my other tank that I caught nipping my cans, I may try to get him and bring him over here to help cycle everything and keep him away from my nice corals. This tank will probably be a nem and clown with some softies if I can pull it off. Because of this I don't think I will put the Kessil back on. I love the shimmer but this stock light is more than enough for the basics. It will never have anything in it with intense lighting demands.

Untitled-1.png

As far as equipment changes, I got really sick of fighting my skimmer. Originally this tank had a Bubble Magus MiniQ skimmer which was recommended on another build. It did fit very nicely. I wanted to like it because it fit so well and the cup was very easy to remove, and it is very easy to adjust. That's where the theoretical positives end
I could not break this skimmer in or get it to skim well no matter what I tried. Tons of micro bubbles and even the tiniest bit of adjustment makes too large of a change to the bubble level. After a month, I switched it out for a Eshopps Nano Skimmer and that baby started pumping out skim on day one with no micro bubbles. If it has any downsides out of the box, it is a VERY tight fit but it does go in there. Also, the cup is very very snug which makes removing it pretty tough without bumping it out of adjustment. Even with those traits, it's a far superior skimmer. After setting it upon and running it a day or two it's unplugged now while I seed bacteria.

The other change I made was to switch to a single nozzle with the Sicce Nano pump. That IM pump is so nice, and it has a controller which is even better. But, it's a monster that puts out way too much volume even at its lowest setting, this is fine for flow and it makes the need for a wave maker go away, which is amazing on a tank this small. However, it makes filtration very challenging. It causes the display, and therefore the filter chamber level to be very high. There is just no way to get good mechanical filtration with it that high. I tried every possible thing to make that pump work, but there just is no way. With the water level that high, the pump isn't drawing the surface water down through the cup. With the new pump, it's perfect.

IMG_3332 copy.jpg

In the cabinet I cleaned up the electronics. I will eventually put the heat controller back in there and the ATO and reservoir. For now I'm just cycling the tank again because I changed the rock work. I did seed the sump with some rock from its original build at the house. I also had to add a light blocking film to the left side of the tank beach its near a window. This isn't really an issue for me because the tank is only viewable from two sides based on where I have to put it in my office.

Untitled-2.png
IMG_3334.PNG

Last edited:
OP
OP
MDAquatics

MDAquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A quick video short of the office pico coming along nicely. I added a nearly naked clown "George" and a clown goby "Georgina" from my main display, she was nipping corals. There's a recently added bubble tip in there too but he's hiding in the back.

OP
OP
MDAquatics

MDAquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another video short of the tank updates!

Recently I added a nearly naked clown (George) and the troublemaking yellow clown goby from my display (Georgina). Along with them, a couple days ago I added a bubble tip from @AquaSD and he's finally out and about. They all actual play very nicely together. The clown and goby actually follow each other around like puppies.

All equipment is currently the same and I added a small Jebao SLW3 wavemaker to pick up the flow, its hidden behind the rock work. It was the smallest wave maker I could find and it's actually really nice for this tank. Im running it on 2nd power setting. To go with that I custom ordered a a nem guard and controller mount from Leafgreen on Etsy. I've bought a bunch of stuff from him and it's always to spec and fast shipping. I highly recommend.

Only future plans so far are to replace the Matrix with some MarinePure gems and add a few more to the sump. Im still looking into more options for coral but Im just really undecided in this tank. My employees really like the movement in the tank with the clown and nem so I may lean towards some softies I was trying to avoid. I also still have to move my Kessil A80 back to this tank but im not in a rush because I don't really have any light demands at the moment. Always open to suggestions though! Thanks for following the journey!

OP
OP
MDAquatics

MDAquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let’s get a real time look at what a small pico tank looks like if you neglect it and don’t do your regular water changes. I’m going to test it today with my Hanna and than do a 50% water change, wait an hour and check again.

I’ve been pretty busy at work and haven’t done a great job taking care of my office tank. All I’ve been basically doing is occasionally replacing the filter floss and topping it off. I feed the fish a tiny pinch of pellets each day and clean the glass. But I have not done a water change in quite a while which is pretty vital on a little tank with fish. Last one was about a gallon maybe a month ago.

Here’s the details on the tank. It’s a deskmate and for filtration it has filter floss, chemipure blue, and purigen. It’s has plenty of both of those. Overpowered really. Under that it has marinepure gems. and it's lit by a Kessil A80 and a controller. It has an Eshoppe Nano Skimmer and the powerhead is a Jebao SLW3

For livestock:
Nearly naked Ocellaris clown
Yellow goby.
3 blue leg hermits
3-4 nassarius snails

Coral
Three heads of toxic hammer- losing two heads
Small colony of Purple People Eater Palys
Three acans
1 small favia frag
Holy grail micromussa
1 button scoly encased in rock and covered in unknown zoas
4 heads of Blue Ice Zoas.

The next post will be the pre-change water parameters. Only thing I’m going to do before the next test is frag off the bad hammer heads.
IMG_3845.jpeg

Pre Water Change Parameters
Sal: 1.025
Nitrite: .1
Nitrate: 15.5
Phos: .12
Ammonia: .2
PH: 8
Alk: 6.4
Cal: 600+ (pretty sure I botched this test but I'm saving the reagent for the next test because Im super low)
Mag: 1360

Here’s a quick pic of the hammer with the bad heads fragged off. One of the little heads had a little tissue left in it so I stuck that back in to see what happens but it’s probly gone.
IMG_3847.jpeg

And here’s a few coral shots as of today.
IMG_3848.jpeg

IMG_3849.jpeg

IMG_3850.jpeg

Haggisman14

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love what you did with the tank!

I"ve got the same one in my office and love it. It's been up and running for 7 months now! I've also got a pair of nearly naked clowns, and love them! I"ve developed a great black/orange color as they've matured.

Looking foward to seeing your progress!

OP
OP
MDAquatics

MDAquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pre Water Change Parameters
Nitrate: 15.5
Phos: .12
Ammonia: .2
PH: 8
Alk: 6.4
Cal: 600+ (pretty sure I botched this test but I'm saving the reagent for the next test because Im super low)
Mag: 1360

Post Water Change Parameters -
Waited one hour, changed filter floss. Did a 50% water change than tested

Nitrate: 3.4
Phos:.39
Ammonia:.2
PH: 8.5
Alk: 5.2
Cal: 600
Mag: 1400

After this test I ran Cal check on the tests and they all pass. Interesting that it didn't budge even a small amount the Nitrite or Ammonia but the Nitrate was dropped significantly and Phos raised, all lowered? Im suspicious. Corals all look happy, even the hammer I fragged earlier looks OK.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 103 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.7%
Back