OP
OP
A

amazingdude5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have great news, I came home from work and Clifford was swimming around with lots of energy. He just ate a Thanksgiving dinner of Mysis shrimp. His behavior is 100% normal and all of his white spots / mucus are gone. He is a true fighter. I know the battle isn’t over yet but he did a complete 180 in terms of behavior and health. I’m confident he will be getting over whatever this awful disease was. Here’s a video. I have metro on the way to help with any possible infection that could have occurred from this.

C4ctus99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have great news, I came home from work and Clifford was swimming around with lots of energy. He just ate a Thanksgiving dinner of Mysis shrimp. His behavior is 100% normal and all of his white spots / mucus are gone. He is a true fighter. I know the battle isn’t over yet but he did a complete 180 in terms of behavior and health. I’m confident he will be getting over whatever this awful disease was. Here’s a video. I have metro on the way to help with any possible infection that could have occurred from this.
That’s awesome man! Glad he had the turn around!

bambooshark

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

This afternoon I lost my favorite, a black ice snowflake clown to an unknown disease. She was breathing very heavy, resting on the sand bed. Before death, she started swimming “possessed” and flying into rocks while doing flips, etc. I thought it was brooks as it looked like mucus coming off the skin as well. Now, my flasher wrasse has white “salt spots” covering it. This leads me to believe it is Ich. I gave the clown a freshwater bath but it did not save it. She also had white spots. Does my wrasse have Ich or brooklynella? I don’t want to lose another one. I added a diamond goby last week without QT (this was my QT lesson, dumb I know). If it is ich, is it worth it to start a QT tank ASAP and buy medicine? Please help. I am in analysis paralysis and have no idea what to do next. Please help save Clifford.
3F6D6DDD-0EEC-4DF2-8740-DEDB361F83F8.jpeg
E9724304-8B11-4CFD-828E-AAF0F73DFE1C.jpeg
4FAA2360-C049-4669-9EB4-F99E856779BD.jpeg
DF433801-1ACD-472F-A7B1-19AC5B43A289.jpeg
659EAC85-F7C4-4EE2-AFD9-75520ED3E08F.jpeg
675F435D-CE10-4A94-9A2F-D522359EA08B.jpeg
If it was white spots, it probably was ich.

OP
OP
A

amazingdude5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, looking for some more help for Clifford. He survived 30 days of copper and has no symptoms of ich. However, I am looking for some help with this current condition. As of about 2 weeks ago I have noticed his face has turned clear. I will attach pictures below. I assumed this would return to normal but it has been awhile and no changes so far. It hasn’t gotten worse or better. It looks like dried skin flaking off. It is visibly a different color than the rest of his body. I suspected bacterial at first and he has been receiving metroplex and kanaplex for the last 96 hours. 2 doses of each so far. It hasn’t gotten any better yet just wondering if anyone can chime in with what this could possibly be. His behavior is perfectly normal, swimming around. He is still eating like crazy. He also has a small discoloration behind his gill that looks a little redder / browner. This is very minor and very hard to see but I do notice it being a bit different than the rest of his body. Can someone plz ID what is going on here and treatments? I can’t find anything on R2R that has a similar picture. The closest things are mechanical damage that has cleared up in a few days but this has been lingering for awhile. Thanks for the help in advance.
IMG_7734.png
IMG_7735.png
IMG_7736.png
IMG_7738.png
IMG_7741.png

OP
OP
A

amazingdude5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, looking for some more help for Clifford. He survived 30 days of copper and has no symptoms of ich. However, I am looking for some help with this current condition. As of about 2 weeks ago I have noticed his face has turned clear. I will attach pictures below. I assumed this would return to normal but it has been awhile and no changes so far. It hasn’t gotten worse or better. It looks like dried skin flaking off. It is visibly a different color than the rest of his body. I suspected bacterial at first and he has been receiving metroplex and kanaplex for the last 96 hours. 2 doses of each so far. It hasn’t gotten any better yet just wondering if anyone can chime in with what this could possibly be. His behavior is perfectly normal, swimming around. He is still eating like crazy. He also has a small discoloration behind his gill that looks a little redder / browner. This is very minor and very hard to see but I do notice it being a bit different than the rest of his body. Can someone plz ID what is going on here and treatments? I can’t find anything on R2R that has a similar picture. The closest things are mechanical damage that has cleared up in a few days but this has been lingering for awhile. Thanks for the help in advance.
IMG_7734.png
IMG_7735.png
IMG_7736.png
IMG_7738.png
IMG_7741.png
#fishmedic

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, nothing jumps out at me in the photos. It could be a bacterial issue - metroplex won’t help much with that and kanaplex can take 5 days to stabilize an infection, even longer to heal up.

Do you see any scratching/flashing with the fish? That can be a sign of flukes, and I usually follow a copper treatment with prazipro for that issue. Let me know if you want to try that and I can walk you through it.
Jay

OP
OP
A

amazingdude5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, nothing jumps out at me in the photos. It could be a bacterial issue - metroplex won’t help much with that and kanaplex can take 5 days to stabilize an infection, even longer to heal up.

Do you see any scratching/flashing with the fish? That can be a sign of flukes, and I usually follow a copper treatment with prazipro for that issue. Let me know if you want to try that and I can walk you through it.
Jay
Hi Jay, no flashing or scratching. He was flashing towards the end of copper for what I assumed was the little bite marks from the parasite but that hasn’t been happening for awhile. I have Prazi on hand but I have been reluctant to use it as I read wrasse typically don’t do as well as others in Prazi?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Jay, no flashing or scratching. He was flashing towards the end of copper for what I assumed was the little bite marks from the parasite but that hasn’t been happening for awhile. I have Prazi on hand but I have been reluctant to use it as I read wrasse typically don’t do as well as others in Prazi?
Wrasse are fine with prazi as long as the tank has good aeration (not just circulation).
If the fish isn’t scratching, it likely isn’t flukes though…..
Jay

OP
OP
A

amazingdude5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wrasse are fine with prazi as long as the tank has good aeration (not just circulation).
If the fish isn’t scratching, it likely isn’t flukes though…..
Jay
Okay, thanks for responding. Current plan will be to monitor for flashing and see if the metro + Kana takes care of whatever this is. If not gone, I will plan on doing a freshwater dip after the antibiotic treatement to check for flukes. If there’s flukes I will treat with prazi, if not, whatever it is should go away on its own? Do you suggest doing two treatments of the three dose kanaplex process?

C4ctus99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, thanks for responding. Current plan will be to monitor for flashing and see if the metro + Kana takes care of whatever this is. If not gone, I will plan on doing a freshwater dip after the antibiotic treatement to check for flukes. If there’s flukes I will treat with prazi, if not, whatever it is should go away on its own? Do you suggest doing two treatments of the three dose kanaplex process?
Have any of the wrasse nerds seen this before maybe?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Just one word of caution - only one genus of fluke (Neobendenia) can be seen with the naked eye after a FW dip. Dactylogyrids and Gryrodactylus are too small to be seen without a microscope, and then, they just look like little blobs of mucus.

Jay

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve seen that sometimes when using copper, wrasse seem to discolor much more than regular stress. Sometimes the copper can burn the fish. If it is a bacterial infection, do you see anything on top of the wrasses face? Flukes tend to be over the face gills and fins. Septicemia could also be a culprit, and that’s when blood is poisoned, and the body is showing a severe response to the infection, and this leads to paleness of the body and the face. Something you could do is dip the food into the Kanaplex so the fish digests it and helps to fight whatever it is from within. Careful when doing a FW dip on wrasse as they are super sensitive to these dips.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Also, I would like to add that his poops are big and brown. Not stringy at all.
Thats normal poop and agree Kanaplex is best treatment safe for this this fish and based on symptoms.

OP
OP
A

amazingdude5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats normal poop and agree Kanaplex is best treatment safe for this this fish and based on symptoms.
Question for this group, how long should I wait before starting another 3 rounds of kanaplex? He just finished dose 3 last night. Can I go into it another 48 hours after dose 3 or wait longer or no need? The directions call out 3 doses 48 hours apart.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Question for this group, how long should I wait before starting another 3 rounds of kanaplex? He just finished dose 3 last night. Can I go into it another 48 hours after dose 3 or wait longer or no need? The directions call out 3 doses 48 hours apart.
3-4 doses sufficient. Assure symptoms are completely gone before ceasing treatment

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 119 42.8%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 96 34.5%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 43 15.5%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 15 5.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.8%
Back