Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
I bought a used acrylic tank with a stump stand included. This will be my first sump setup and I don’t have much of a clue on how to plumb it. Can I make it work without a overflow box?

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can but it’s not nearly as efficient at surface skim.. just put strainers on the bulkheads in the tank and use them as your drains.. being it’s acrylic I would drill the bottom and get a an overflow made and put in.. pretty simple to do.. need to patch the hole in the back of the tank and the sump I’m not sure what they used them for… weird set up with random holes.

OP
OP
C

CurtEstes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can but it’s not nearly as efficient at surface skim.. just put strainers on the bulkheads in the tank and use them as your drains.. being it’s acrylic I would drill the bottom and get a an overflow made and put in.. pretty simple to do.. need to patch the hole in the back of the tank and the sump I’m not sure what they used them for… weird set up with random holes.
Drill the bottom of the tank? & yes it’s very weird, the local fish store I bought it from is no help, and no video online really gives me a good enough idea of what to do with it. I really want to try a sump out but I’m close to going with two fx6’s since this 180g will be an African cichlids tank, and I have no clue on what what to do with the sump.

OP
OP
C

CurtEstes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t wrap my head around how that sump was set up! Very strange configuration unless it had frag racks or something but even still… :thinking-face:
I have no clue. I didn’t think it would be this confusing when I bought it online.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no clue. I didn’t think it would be this confusing when I bought it online.
I mean it will work for extra water volume and putting your equipment in thats not a problem at all… you need to patch the hole on the side of it thou..

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Drill the bottom of the tank? & yes it’s very weird, the local fish store I bought it from is no help, and no video online really gives me a good enough idea of what to do with it. I really want to try a sump out but I’m close to going with two fx6’s since this 180g will be an African cichlids tank, and I have no clue on what what to do with the sump.
So this won’t be a saltwater set up? That changes things a little… strainers would be fine on the drains and just run your return over the top of the tank. Or possibly use that existing hole in the back of the tank if you can find a bull head to fit it.

Dierks

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So this won’t be a saltwater set up? That changes things a little… strainers would be fine on the drains and just run your return over the top of the tank. Or possibly use that existing hole in the back of the tank if you can find a bull head to fit it.
Don't you ever work? Always running around these fish forums helping folks.... Jeezzzz... ;)

GIF by collin

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 138 43.3%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 111 34.8%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 49 15.4%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 5.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.6%
Back