please help with torch question!

smitten with ocean life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi friends, im hoping someone can give me some torch/ hammer advice. my tank is a 125 gallon a few years old. my parameters are sal.-1.024, alk.-7.7, nitrates 13.7, phos. .19, cal.-451, temp. 77, ph 7.8.. why cant i keep these things alive?? im careful about the flow. par is 150. they can look so good for a couple of months, than just slowly shrivel up and disappear! i alternate with broadcast feeding them reefroids and benepets. id be so glad for some advice! i did dip them again and carefully inspect for pests. havent seen a thing. thanks!

dakoop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have a good answer for you. I can't keep some stuff and never could figure out why. No acans for me

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How consistent are your parameters - especially Alkalinity, PO4, & NO3? How often do you test these parameters and do you do water changes?

IMG_3251.jpeg

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Couple of questions:

1) Which corals have you kept consistently and for how long?

2) Do you have a sump with Chaeto growing well?

3) How do you keep your Alkalinity consistent from day to day?

Par on my torch above is over 300.

OP
OP
S

smitten with ocean life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
plenty of zoas, mushrooms, a goni, elegance coral, leather and a few others that im not sure what they are! most of them a few years old.not sure about question #2. i have uv sterilizer that i clean out every two weeks or so. as far as the alk- i dont know! i dont really mess with stuff. i was going to start all 4 reef. changing the flow a little to get more surface agitation to try and raise ph. maybe ill try raising them up a bit closer to the lights...

slingfox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me torches have been near indestructible surviving a bout of dinos that wiped out pretty much everything else in my tank other than my torches and some hammers.

Where are you buying your torches? Many torches are imported marine culture from Indonesia or Australia. These are more risky then torches which have been living in a contained reef aquarium environment for a long period of time. That said, I have not had many issues even with marine culture torches.

If you are having all your torches die there may be some sort of infection going on. To deal with that you can look into the KFC coral dip. Three rounds of that once a week for three weeks. When I make the dip I make a large batch in 10 gallon breeder from Petco and put in all my torches, hammer, frogspawn, and mushrooms for 12-18 hours with flow and a heater.

steveschuerger

I love Gonis and Euphyllia. Maybe too much
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good fairly strong flow, I use my wavemakers on a pulse cycle, keep them in the lower part of the upper half of the tank with PAR 200-250. My Alk is pretty high , around 10 presently and Mag 1500.
Here’s a video showing my flow

IMG_3306.jpeg

ajremington68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
clue me in on the ICP test. ive been reading about it, but not real clear about what it stands for or where to get it done
Little thing about what someone else has said, the marine cultured torches so anything that is from a shop is ussaly marine cultured and if they aren’t the will be very proud and it’ll be posted ussaly, or they will have a lot. However all my torches from local reefers, (knock on wood) dang near bulletproof. I mean I’m not swinging any parameters but they do exponentially better and last. Any torches that are marine cultured are gone within 3 months, and they will get a disease out of no where and you have to make sure they don’t pass it to your other euphyilla. Recommendation is get in a local Facebook and get a good deal on a torch frag and watch it grow.

ajremington68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@smitten with ocean life also I currently dose afr and I like it, one thing I don’t like is you choose one element (all,ca,mag) to track and correct on that, which allows 2 other elements to fall wherever which can cause you to correct every other month. But not that big of a deal. What are your water changes like if you’re not dosing after 2yrs?

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can we see a tank pic?

The parameters are right on, so to me, that leaves light and flow. Can you tell more about your light and flow?

Slowly wasting away over months, to me it again means light deprivation or lack of nutrients. And since your nutrients are fine, it leaves light and flow.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 73 75.3%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 11.3%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.2%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back