Red Bugs? Help Please.

acesfull44

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So this is my first experience with a potential pest issue that needs attention.

This Gold Torch has been in my tank for several weeks now and I noticed 1 of the heads only halfway out. I thought maybe he was unhappy with the location, so I preceeded to move him. In doing so, immediately I see a huge amount of bigger red spots on the base of the torch. I removed it and dipped with revive (this is all I have right this second) and there were a ton of bug looking things that fell off.

Water Parameters:
Sal - 1.025
Temp - 77.1
Cal - 400
Mag - 1500
PH - 7.8
KH - 9.2
NO3 - 2
PO4 - 0

Any help would be appreciated:

1669055275732.png

1669055289193.png

1669055305973.png

1669055314578.png

cpoynter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s hard to see in the photos, but could those be flatworms? Honestly the red spots on the skeleton look like forams, and I’m not an expert on red bugs, but I think they are a SPS problem. Someone should correct me if I’m wrong here.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s hard to see in the photos, but could those be flatworms? Honestly the red spots on the skeleton look like forams, and I’m not an expert on red bugs, but I think they are a SPS problem. Someone should correct me if I’m wrong here.
Red bugs are a Sps problem.. I’m not familiar with LPs pests besides some new flat worms I’m learning about just now that we’re around in my time 12 years ago or so lol..

OP
OP
acesfull44

acesfull44

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Not sure what a foram is, but I appreciate the feedback for sure.

Red bugs are a Sps problem.. I’m not familiar with LPs pests besides some new flat worms I’m learning about just now that we’re around in my time 12 years ago or so lol..

Thanks.

Williamson’s Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
With no tissue around the heads really I’m going to say euphyllia eating flat worms. Anything that looks like a bug is probably a pod that came off. The pic of your hand isn’t a bug. I’m guessing flat worm. Did it come off the base or from inside the torch? Or both? Get a magnifying glass and look for eggs on the hammer. Scrape off any you find. Dip again in a week and see what you get.

OP
OP
acesfull44

acesfull44

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
With no tissue around the heads really I’m going to say euphyllia eating flat worms. Anything that looks like a bug is probably a pod that came off. The pic of your hand isn’t a bug. I’m guessing flat worm. Did it come off the base or from inside the torch? Or both? Get a magnifying glass and look for eggs on the hammer. Scrape off any you find. Dip again in a week and see what you get.
I dont have a microscope so all I can do is watch closely. The flesh and tenacals have come back out after dipping so I am watching closely to see what develops. The red spots are super hard, crust like and I could not scrape those off when I dipped it. To be continued.......

Williamson’s Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I dont have a microscope so all I can do is watch closely. The flesh and tenacals have come back out after dipping so I am watching closely to see what develops. The red spots are super hard, crust like and I could not scrape those off when I dipped it. To be continued.......
Not a microscope but a cheap hand held magnifying glass. So you can look over the skeleton of the torch for small clusters of brown eggs. Dip for 4 weeks anyways to be safe. The hard red spots are nothing to worry about. Probably a hard algae.

OP
OP
acesfull44

acesfull44

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Not a microscope but a cheap hand held magnifying glass. So you can look over the skeleton of the torch for small clusters of brown eggs. Dip for 4 weeks anyways to be safe. The hard red spots are nothing to worry about. Probably a hard algae.
Ty bud

Privateye

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd agree with flatworms. Flatworm Exit works well and is reef safe, but it won't get all of them in my experience. If you're looking for biological controls then 6-line wrasses and spotted mandarins work well.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
So this is my first experience with a potential pest issue that needs attention.

This Gold Torch has been in my tank for several weeks now and I noticed 1 of the heads only halfway out. I thought maybe he was unhappy with the location, so I preceeded to move him. In doing so, immediately I see a huge amount of bigger red spots on the base of the torch. I removed it and dipped with revive (this is all I have right this second) and there were a ton of bug looking things that fell off.

Water Parameters:
Sal - 1.025
Temp - 77.1
Cal - 400
Mag - 1500
PH - 7.8
KH - 9.2
NO3 - 2
PO4 - 0

Any help would be appreciated:

1669055275732.png

1669055289193.png

1669055305973.png

1669055314578.png
Can you provide pic under white lighting? A little fuzzy but may be red planaria.

WheatToast

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure what a foram is, but I appreciate the feedback for sure.
Foraminifera, which are protists of the Chromista kingdom. Homotrema rubrum is one of the more common species in aquaria and is a harmless, filter-feeder that resembles encrusting red algae. It should be rock-solid.

OP
OP
acesfull44

acesfull44

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Foraminifera, which are protists of the Chromista kingdom. Homotrema rubrum is one of the more common species in aquaria and is a harmless, filter-feeder that resembles encrusting red algae. It should be rock-solid.
Thank you for the feedback. When I tried to scrape the red spots off when I dipped this, those red spots were as hard as concrete, literally. Almost as if it was a coraline algae or something.

OP
OP
acesfull44

acesfull44

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Can you provide pic under white lighting? A little fuzzy but may be red planaria.
I am gonna continue to monitor and the dip again next week and see. The tentacles and flesh part of the torch is out, but like 20% right now. I will have a magnifying glass to check for eggs on the skeleton next dip. The worms (or whatever technically fell off when I dipped) were dark brown and not red at all.

ptrahan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red flatworms can easily be siphoned with a small hose. If left in the siphoned water, they stain the water a reddish-brown color as they die. Lots on here about using Flatworm Exit. When they die, they give off toxins. Sapphire Damsel (Springeri) are supposed to eat them. Maybe.

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 48 25.5%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 48 25.5%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 43 22.9%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 45 23.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.1%
Back