Please Stop Stating This Is An Expensive Hobby.

reef_collector

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IME this hobby is expensive if one does not take the time to search around and compare prices (especially if you're new to the hobby) of tank set ups, live rock, sand, equipment, etc... I suggest not rushing this process and buying everything from the first LFS you visit even if they seem nice and trying to give you their best price. When it does get expensive is when you become a more experienced reefer and start getting into overpriced named corals and quality equipment and chemicals. But yet again you could search for deals and better offers.

Wild1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was a custom motorcycle builder thru the years, & you wouldn't believe the amount of money people sink into bikes that are "trailer queens" or 'bar hoppers" that just get ridden to bars so the owners puff out their chest & pretend to be real bikers. Reef tanks are a bargain compared to them

ksanfranfan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 It is expensive. Although the word "expensive" is a pretty subjective word. Engineer, doctor, waitress, paper boy - the word "expensive" means different things to different people. Even if you just contrast and compare the costs of fresh water to salt water, I think you can reasonably say salt is more expensive. It would be interesting to me, to know the average income of reefers.....

I don't think it's discouraging to new hobbyists to say it's expensive. It's honest. It's right. It prompts appropriate and reasonable responses, whereas not speaking to cost may lead to ultimate failure and/or discouragement.

I agree with this post. How expensive the hobby is can be a subjective matter for many people in different ways for different reasons. For some people a piece of equipment that costs $250 can be months of savings while for others it can be a small part of disposable income in a month. In other cases depending on where you live availability of livestock, equipment and other things necessary to maintain can be fairly reasonable to very expensive.
IMO, it's hard to say that this is not an expensive hobby, even if you do a lot of diy projects or even purchase used equipment. You never know what the condition of used equipment is and replacement parts can add to the costs and can sometimes cancel out the savings.
I agree that there are ways to alleviate costs but often times many people end up spending the money saved on something else for their tanks.

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish that I made enough money to think this wasn't an expensive hobby....

I'm sure to those that own airplanes, race cars, yachts and such this is a cheap hobby. But I'm not them!! My only other real hobby is weightlifting and my work pays for the gym membership. I bought used vortechs recently and have to save up a long time for those bad boys. Fish only might not be too crazy, but stony coral reefs seem to run on $100 bills.

Oliver94

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it is an expensive hobby.. All what was said is true. People who usually know about the hobby tend to think that we are crazy to spend that much money on "keeping fish"..a part that wasn't mentioned before is you also find it really expensive if you were a freshwater aquarium keeper,and you transfer to reef.. Well for me during my freshwater time I could buy the whole neon innesi tank at the LFS lol ,now if I want to buy a couple of anthias for example I should do some calculation to what I have in my pocket lol

Last edited:

tyler1503

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish that I made enough money to think this wasn't an expensive hobby....

I'm sure to those that own airplanes, race cars, yachts and such this is a cheap hobby. But I'm not them!! My only other real hobby is weightlifting and my work pays for the gym membership. I bought used vortechs recently and have to save up a long time for those bad boys. Fish only might not be too crazy, but stony coral reefs seem to run on $100 bills.

It can also be cheap to those of us who earn $500 a week and have $20 left after bills, rent, load repayments, food etc.
Sure there's a lot of expensive stuff I wish I had, but I make do with the dregs. I choose not to blow a years worth of savings on an led fixture lol. It's all about what you want to spend. I also like cheap corals. No $100 polyps for me!

Dmmz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These discussions are pointless nobody will change the other persons mind on cheap or expensive so why bother but it will always be expensive to me and I buy used equipment and cheap coral

tyler1503

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, people really can't grasp the idea that things can be done cheap. I set up 3 tanks for about $300 (just hardware, dry base rock and water, no livestock). How can that be considered expensive?
You may have spent $10,000 on your tank.
You may have $3000 worth of LEDs on your tank.
You may have the newest $500 per polyp zoa.
You may feel the need to buy something every single time your at the LFS.
You may have chosen to make it expensive for yourself.
But does that mean it has to be expensive? No.
Just because you did it a certain way, it doesn't mean other people haven't had success doing the exact opposite. Now my tank isn't the most beautiful one out there and it certainly isn't going to win any tank of the month type competitions, but it's pleasant enough for me to look at atleast. And didn't cost me much at all.
To say it is expensive without acknowledging the fact that you chose to make it expensive while there were PLENTY of cheaper options out there, is just ignorance in my opinion. There is always a cheaper option. If you chose the expensive option, that's your fault.
Don't complain about this being "an expensive hobby" when there are cheaper options out there.
If I've offended someone by saying this, I'm sorry. It's not my intention to hurt anyone's feelings.
But at the end of the day, it's all about what your willing to spend.

tonymission

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this hobby is expensive.and its a waste of money just like all hobbies.

+1

At least with this hobby we have something to show for it. Unlike golf. :)

There's just no way around it. Sure you can find a free tank and stand on Craigslist and scour your local club for decent level hardware and get a bunch of green corals, but most people end up yearning for more and that's where the costs come in. I don't have to automate everything and don't need the nicest lights. If you say this hobby isn't expensive then are you saying this hobby is cheap? It's affordable?

It's sure a lot easier when you can spend some money. :)

Last edited:

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Between a used setup and everything we needed to finish - and I'm not quite done - we're into it 2k. And that's only for this setup! Thank God for my father - I couldn't have done it on my budget!!

Diamond Jack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This hobby is expensive! Some hobbies are more expensive, but realistically this one is a money pit. Everything adds up. You can go the cheap route on things and cut everything possible and it still adds up fast. For the average reefer the price can add up. There is always an exception, but it sure as heck ain't me!

Dextereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This hobby is expensive. I started with a 14G biocube and did lots of diy, trading, buying used, etc... and still spent a lot. Its all relative but as the end consumer we actually dictate the costs. If we don't buy a product at the price advretired the seller is forced to cease selling the product or lower the prices. The whole named coral game is garbage IMO. Was just in a live sale where a 1/2-1 inch frag of sps went for $1400! I about died. Personally I can afford some high end stuff every now and then but then I grow it out and sell it cheap so everyone can access it.

The funny thing about hobbies is there is always some progred sion that we all instinctively and unconsciously follow. The noob, the veteran, and the pro. Each stage opend us up to bigger and better things in the hobby as well learn. The forums don't help to eliminate the keeping up with the jones' phenomenon. If you can stay content from the start with tour first noob tank then this hobby will stay somewhat affordable but I'm sure thatd a rare reefer.

Dang this hobby is expensive.

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WOW, I didn't realize.
Just added it all up and my wife was asking when she saw my notes if I was shopping for her new Audi.
Better trade it for a gold fish like 45 years ago.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I understand and agree with the OP. This hobby (like many others) can be done inexpensively if one takes the time to look for ways to save money. It CAN be a money pit, but it doesn't have to be. A person can set up a solid reef tank on a budget. It's not going to have name brand corals or brand new equipment but it can be done. It's sad that people discourage others from getting in with the expensive tag line...I also think it's a bit elitist.

I always tell people that for a standard non-custom made 36" long tank, unless you have an extra 3k laying around plus at least another 150-200 each month, you can't afford this hobby. It's not just about automation. Tank, stand, lights, flow, sump, pumps, heaters, test kits, salt, rock, filtration (skimmer, fuge, whatever you choose to use), RODI, mixing tubs (brute containers on the cheap). That's all before you put a fish or coral in the tank. For a 4' tank I say about 5k to get started. Not crazy expensive but definitely not cheap by any stretch.

Regards,
Taylor

I disagree with the above post. It can cost this much, but it doesn't have to. There are ways to save money without setting up an inadequate system. For one thing, buying used equipment is a great way to save cash. Craigslist is your friend. My 180, stand, and sump cost me $300. Skimmer rated for 400 gallons $120. Powerheads and pump another $150. Rock can be bought cheep from others getting out of the hobby, and all the other items can be sought out inexpensively as well. I do spend more now bc I choose to do so, but it can be done inexpensively. Btw, a smaller system can be had for a fraction of what I spent.

Wow, people really can't grasp the idea that things can be done cheap. I set up 3 tanks for about $300 (just hardware, dry base rock and water, no livestock). How can that be considered expensive?
Just because you did it a certain way, it doesn't mean other people haven't had success doing the exact opposite. Now my tank isn't the most beautiful one out there and it certainly isn't going to win any tank of the month type competitions, but it's pleasant enough for me to look at atleast. And didn't cost me much at all.
To say it is expensive without acknowledging the fact that you chose to make it expensive while there were PLENTY of cheaper options out there, is just ignorance in my opinion. There is always a cheaper option. If you chose the expensive option, that's your fault.
Don't complain about this being "an expensive hobby" when there are cheaper options out there.
If I've offended someone by saying this, I'm sorry. It's not my intention to hurt anyone's feelings.

Exactly! It can be done! A saltwater tank can be had on a budget! Just ask our friends that are college students with reef tanks!

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

$300 is expensive for empty tanks with no livestock. You may not think it is. Others do.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
$300 is expensive for empty tanks with no livestock. You may not think it is. Others do.

Not expensive compared to 3k or 5k. I've seen people who state that a 100-gallon reef tank will cost 10k to setup... that's just not true.

Dmmz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand and agree with the OP. This hobby (like many others) can be done inexpensively if one takes the time to look for ways to save money. It CAN be a money pit, but it doesn't have to be. A person can set up a solid reef tank on a budget. It's not going to have name brand corals or brand new equipment but it can be done. It's sad that people discourage others from getting in with the expensive tag line...I also think it's a bit elitist.

I disagree with the above post. It can cost this much, but it doesn't have to. There are ways to save money without setting up an inadequate system. For one thing, buying used equipment is a great way to save cash. Craigslist is your friend. My 180, stand, and sump cost me $300. Skimmer rated for 400 gallons $120. Powerheads and pump another $150. Rock can be bought cheep from others getting out of the hobby, and all the other items can be sought out inexpensively as well. I do spend more now bc I choose to do so, but it can be done inexpensively. Btw, a smaller system can be had for a fraction of what I spent.

Exactly! It can be done! A saltwater tank can be had on a budget! Just ask our friends that are college students with reef tanks!
How can't you understand expensive could mean 50.00 to one person and 500,000.00 to another so yes it is expensive to some and cheap to others so agreeing with op with what you think is inexpensive is a little elitist

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 68 35.6%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.1%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.1%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 61 31.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.2%
Back