Tips on shopping smart in the hobby

Rick's Reviews

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Buy it before you need it, shop smart approach, buy a heater, wavemakers during sales, black Friday, new year, Christmas April, half price or better, salt especially, buy in bulk as you know you will always need it :) :)

SPS2020

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
When buying used off of R2R (or any site), look to see how long that person has been around. Check out their threads and posts to get a feel for what they are like. If someone joined a few months ago, has twenty posts and are selling a Red Dragon pump...I'm probably going to pass. ;)

bakbay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't lie and not have a business, that's shady.
I have a legit business running out of my garage. I got a lot of foot traffic to my store front. Revenue is growing at an exponential rate! I also have one employee working at my business.

Foot traffic: me walking around all day, revenue: me buying & selling to myself, and employee: me!

Your honor, I did not lie; but rather: "My statement did not coincide with the truth."

:)

saltienewb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Local reef clubs. Cheap frags, good second hand equipment, good advice, possible new friends.
If you don’t have one near you, look for one in the closest metro area.
I’ve gotten hundreds of dollars worth of equipment and corals for at least half off.

Fritz05

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say buy less stuff to begin with. You actually do not need many of the things you may think you need.

SpSDrew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
-I try to buy for 6-9 months at a time when items are on sale. No point paying full price if you do not have to. I also went back to the basics and cut some items out.

-stopped buying filter socks. Old Berlin method works wonders

-buy the largest size of some products to save money. If I know I’m going to need a gallon in the next 6 months, there no point paying more for smaller bottles every month.

Rusty_L_Shackleford

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I buy used gear whenever possible. You can pick up good stuff for a song if you're willing to be a couple of generations behind the latest bells and whistles. I have 4 x ai 52hd I picked up for $150 (for all 4). My wife's biocube was $140 for the entire setup and my red sea 130dd was $200. Just gotta be patient and surf the local fb groups and marketplace.

ThaBeast

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
budget and plan. I like high end gear but bought 75% of my current equipment when it was on sale. I also bought over a years worth of salt when it was on sale. I've seen a lot of newer reefers burned by used equipment sellers and garage/basement frag sellers. Find someone local that has a nice tank, understands pests and disease, and willing to help guide you. A local expert will save you a ton of heartache and money

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 65 34.9%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.8%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 59 31.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back