Plumbing my RODI unit in garage

InvaderJim

Chillin
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've searched and searched, and I may be the only one crazy enough to do this or no one else has posted theirs. Anyhow I'm trying to plumb my RODI unit in my garage off of the hot water heater cold water line. But getting the pipe from 3/4" down to 3/8" for the John Guest fitting I'm using is proving to be a challenge. Right now the plan is to add a CPVC T off of the cold water line and run it away from the hot water heater a few feet to a threaded 3/4" coupling. From there I would use a 3/4" to 3/8" reducer, to be able to use the 3/8" x 3/8" John Guest stop angle valve, run the 1/4" tubing off the valve to the RODI unit and then another coupling and a cap on the female side of the valve.

This all seems a little convoluted and I'm wondering if there is a way to simplify it. I'm hesitant to use a regular ball valve instead of the JG valve because they tend to stick after time. Including a picture of the hot water heater for reference.

147E4B47-3EBC-4240-8048-7438D2AF6923.jpeg

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Zbryant

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Garden hose thread is different than pvc thread. PVC uses pipe threads (NPT)

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Garden hose thread is different than pvc thread. PVC uses pipe threads (NPT)
They make adaptors
John Guest might even make a 3/4 pipe thread fitting

Last edited:

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sharkbite a T into the cold line where ever you want and install a short hose bibb.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're running it through an RoDi. Pipe material won't matter. I use copper with no issue at all.

Even Further

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At my old house, I used a bidet valve on the nearest toilet to supply water to the RODI in the garage. It worked perfectly because I used 3/8" tubing to the RODI, and converted/reduded 3/8" to 1/4" at the filter inlet. Not sure if this help, just throwing a dart.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are definitely not the only one that has your rodi supply from your water heater. I have mine hooked up to the cold side clean out valve on my tankless heater. Anytime you need plumbing parts my recommendation is to always go to lowes and just look through the plumbing parts until you find what you need. In your case it shouldn't be too hard, a tee, threaded coupling, NPT to GHT adapter, and then going to 1/4" shouldn't be hard to find. Or just use the adapter mentioned above.

Brass or copper fitting shouldn't matter on the rodi supply side but I suspect you can easily find enough stuff to do it with all plastic.

Also IME ball valves aren't too unreliable as long as you turn them occasionally. Just don't leave it open for years and then expect it to work.

Afish70

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used this type of fitting when I did mine in my garage.

1616171106324.png

jradishness

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also recommend added a gate valve before the cold water enters your hot water heater. Being able to isolate the hot leg of your home’s plumbing is priceless. I’m surprised one wasn’t installed to start.

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also recommend added a gate valve before the cold water enters your hot water heater. Being able to isolate the hot leg of your home’s plumbing is priceless. I’m surprised one wasn’t installed to start.
Good idea but precise adjustment not necessary here. A ball valve longer lasting

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 75 75.8%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 11.1%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.1%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back