OP
OP
N

neMo40

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My fish are dieing like crazy. I thought it was ich and I've tried metroplex in food with kanoplex issue has been going on for about 2 weeks I'm new to saltwater so any help would be greatly appreciated I'd like to save my remaining fish

jellifishi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ich is also know as white-spot disease and I don't see any white spots on your clown. Before we begin on what the fish might have, we need to know more about the tank.

What are your levels?
What are you testing with?
How old is the tank?
Have you ran through your first cycle before adding fish?
Did you quarantine the fish?
What symptoms does your fish seem to have? (Ex: Mucus or lesions, gasping, scratching, lethargic, not eating, ulcer wounds, red spots, missing scales, etc) It's hard to tell from the photo.

Once you answer those questions, know that there are four different types of fish disease: Bacterial, fungal, parasitic, and viral. The most common bacterial and fungal, but it depends on where the fish came from. If we can identify the issue, I can recommend some good products to help them.

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My fish are dieing like crazy. I thought it was ich and I've tried metroplex in food with kanoplex issue has been going on for about 2 weeks I'm new to saltwater so any help would be greatly appreciated I'd like to save my remaining fish
Welcome to Reef2Reef and sorry for your trouble!

I'd suggest at a minimum posting the info suggested in the quote below, and if possible reading through the link below that (particularly the "Aquarium Parameters," "Water quality," and "In-depth Information" sections) to figure out what info you can share here with the #fishmedic to get the best diagnosis and treatment advice possible:
Please provide as much of the following as you are able:
  • Brief description of the issue you are observing and answers to the following questions:
    • How long have you had the fish with the condition?
    • Did you quarantine with medication when you first acquired the fish? (If Yes, which medication?)
  • Current water quality measurements
  • Clear photos of the issue taken using WHITE light and/or a short video of any behaviors (post in your response or on YouTube).
If you can help us by providing as much of the above info as possible, it will make diagnosing and providing recommendations for treatment MUCH easier! The Fish Medic team will get back to you as quickly as possible. In the meantime, other members of our community may also share their experience with similar situations and advice that they may have regarding your situation.

You may also feel free to provide a more detailed description of the condition if you wish to share more info than the above list.
Also, for future reference (don't use it this time) with these sorts of issues, posting in the forum linked below can get you help faster:

OP
OP
N

neMo40

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ich is also know as white-spot disease and I don't see any white spots on your clown. Before we begin on what the fish might have, we need to know more about the tank.

What are your levels?
How old is the tank?
What symptoms does your fish seem to have? (Ex: Mucus or lesions, gasping, scratching, lethargic, not eating, ulcer wounds, red spots, missing scales, etc) It's hard to tell from the photo.

Once you answer those questions, know that there are four different types of fish disease: Bacterial, fungal, parasitic, and viral. The most common bacterial and fungal, but it depends on where the fish came from. If we can identify the issue, I can recommend some good products to help them.
Tank is about a year old 150g with fx6 filter I'm not sure what brand skimmer but I do have one. I test with api salt water kit. P.h 8.0 been trying to raise it with seachem eight four .ammonia is 0 nitrite 0 nitrate 10. Phosphate 0.25 salinity 1.025 fish were fine until I brought home a pearl scale butter fly I did not qt because the fish store told me they have had it 4 weeks with no issues so it went into my dt few days later I noticed a cloudy eye. Then I noticed the scales seem kinda off color as if it had a coat of some sort hard to explain unfortunately I do not have any pics. Then I noticed white spots on my regal and blue powder tang an my puffer had severe cloudy eyes . I thought it kinda looked like ich. I do not have any corals I do have a snow flake and 2 nems . Then I started to notice more of a dusting almost like lint on them or fine white powder best I can tell it's white .but it's pretty much covers the upper half of there body's. So I treated with kordon rid ich the first day after they seem fine all the spots were gone. The following day I did 25 gallon water change dose again the next day I had 4 fish dead an the whitish residue is back on my clown all seem to be eating at the moment I've also been feeding kanaplex and metroplex with there food my nems seem fine. As well as my snow flake eel .....if I have left anything out I apologize

OP
OP
N

neMo40

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is about a year old 150g with fx6 filter I'm not sure what brand skimmer but I do have one. I test with api salt water kit. P.h 8.0 been trying to raise it with seachem eight four .ammonia is 0 nitrite 0 nitrate 10. Phosphate 0.25 salinity 1.025 fish were fine until I brought home a pearl scale butter fly I did not qt because the fish store told me they have had it 4 weeks with no issues so it went into my dt few days later I noticed a cloudy eye. Then I noticed the scales seem kinda off color as if it had a coat of some sort hard to explain unfortunately I do not have any pics. Then I noticed white spots on my regal and blue powder tang an my puffer had severe cloudy eyes . I thought it kinda looked like ich. I do not have any corals I do have a snow flake and 2 nems . Then I started to notice more of a dusting almost like lint on them or fine white powder best I can tell it's white .but it's pretty much covers the upper half of there body's. So I treated with kordon rid ich the first day after they seem fine all the spots were gone. The following day I did 25 gallon water change dose again the next day I had 4 fish dead an the whitish residue is back on my clown all seem to be eating at the moment I've also been feeding kanaplex and metroplex with there food my nems seem fine. As well as my snow flake eel .....if I have left anything out I apologize
I have purchased several meds .including cupramine. Kordon rid ich. Kanoplex .metroplex. vitachem. Paragaurd .I've had salt water fish for years but I have never been through this I guess I'm lucky but idk what I have brought home to my tank . Only meds that have been used is what I mentioned above . I also feed them a variety of frozen foods mysis. krill .plankton as well as nori sea weed. I seldom use vitachem with there food as well

OP
OP
N

neMo40

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

What are your levels?
How old is the tank?

Attachments

• 20240428_201150.jpg
    20240428_201150.jpg
    147 KB · Views: 21
  • 20240428_201152.jpg
    20240428_201152.jpg
    140.9 KB · Views: 26
  • 20240428_201149.jpg
    20240428_201149.jpg
    142.8 KB · Views: 23
OP
OP
N

neMo40

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Attachments

• 20240428_201152.jpg
    20240428_201152.jpg
    140.9 KB · Views: 23
  • 20240428_201149.jpg
    20240428_201149.jpg
    142.8 KB · Views: 14

jellifishi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see it now, the dusty white coating on them. Since your water seems to have good levels, this looks like velvet to me. Cloudy eyes + that dusty coating that I see now is the giveaway for me. I am going to send you to an outside article on how to treat this, but you will need to move all the fish babies to quarantine since it has spread like wildfire. In the meantime, you could also add some vitamins/supplements to the food you are giving them to hopefully boost their immune system in time. I hope they make it and I'll be here for any updates!

OP
OP
N

neMo40

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see it now, the dusty white coating on them. Since your water seems to have good levels, this looks like velvet to me. Cloudy eyes + that dusty coating that I see now is the giveaway for me. I am going to send you to an outside article on how to treat this, but you will need to move all the fish babies to quarantine since it has spread like wildfire. In the meantime, you could also add some vitamins/supplements to the food you are giving them to hopefully boost their immune system in time. I hope they make it and I'll be here for any updates!

I was afraid of that. I have a question it is possible I can qt my fish and treat them. But I have a snow flake eel and 2 nems that I've been told can not handle treatment. Or copper treatment I've also been told the eels can't catch ich is that true. My question is if I pull my fish out can I leave my eel and 2 nems in the dt. While the tank fallows?

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks like brooklynella or late stage ich to me - most likely brook.
Velvet generally doesn’t actually show the dusting, just fast breathing and death.
The best treatment is ruby rally pro and fallowing the tank for 6 weeks. The eel won’t handle treatment well, but it can still be a disease carrier.

jellifishi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I was afraid of that. I have a question it is possible I can qt my fish and treat them. But I have a snow flake eel and 2 nems that I've been told can not handle treatment. Or copper treatment I've also been told the eels can't catch ich is that true. My question is if I pull my fish out can I leave my eel and 2 nems in the dt. While the tank fallows?
The snow flake eel, I would put separate.
Either way, I would put the other fish in Copper Power or Chloroquin Phosphate (CP).
With the eel, they don't tolerate copper well so CP would be the best option. I did some more research and some isolate their eels and just do a UV light. You could perform hydrogen peroxide baths and then move to a clean tank. Turn heat up a little to speed along the cycle.

jellifishi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Either way, I would put the other fish in Copper Power or Chloroquin Phosphate (CP).
With the eel, they don't tolerate copper well so CP would be the best option. This won't be able to be found easily unless you are willing to pay a chunk of change or get a quick prescription from the vet. I did some more research and some isolate their eels and just do a UV light. You could perform hydrogen peroxide baths and then move to a clean tank. Turn heat up a little to speed along the cycle.

OP
OP
N

neMo40

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the eel, they don't tolerate copper well so CP would be the best option. I did some more research and some isolate their eels and just do a UV light. You could perform hydrogen peroxide baths and then move to a clean tank. Turn heat up a little to speed along the cycle.
I have tried to find the chloroquine phosphate it seems to not be an option i looked last night and was unable to find will cupramine work For the fish? I will buy copper power for the eel. Any info on the anemones

OP
OP
N

neMo40

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks like brooklynella or late stage ich to me - most likely brook.
Velvet generally doesn’t actually show the dusting, just fast breathing and death.
The best treatment is ruby rally pro and fallowing the tank for 6 weeks. The eel won’t handle treatment well, but it can still be a disease carrier.
Any idea on the nems can they carry or can I leave them in the tank my issue is I only have 2 tanks so it's a nightmare for me

OP
OP
N

neMo40

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have tried to find the chloroquine phosphate it seems to not be an option i looked last night and was unable to find will cupramine work For the fish? I will buy copper power for the eel. Any info on the anemones
I only have 2 tanks is why I'm asking so anything I can leave in tank. I also have 6 blue leg crabs from what I've read they want handle treatment either can they carry?

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure on Ruby Rally, but with copper/Cupramine any inverts exposed to the treatment will die - you want to pull the fish out of the display tank and move them to a hospital tank while the rest of the display (rocks, sand, inverts, corals, etc.) stay in the now fishless (fallow) display tank.

If you leave the display tank fishless for long enough, it allows the disease (which can be carried by inverts but only infects fish and needs fish to survive/reproduce) time to die off in the display, so your fish won't just get reinfected when you move them back from the hospital tank to the display tank after treating them.

So, leave everything but the fish in the tank.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any idea on the nems can they carry or can I leave them in the tank my issue is I only have 2 tanks so it's a nightmare for me
Anemones and other inverts can be kept in the tank, as long as the system remains fishless for the entire fallow period.

Copper medications will not eliminate brooklynella, and is known to suppress its symptoms at best. Ruby reef rally (which contains acriflavine, an effective brook medication, among other ingredients) is your best choice for medication. 90 minute baths in Ruby Reef Rally, followed by moving the fish into a sterile quarantine, is a good start. Repeat baths until symptoms disappear.

OP
OP
N

neMo40

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure on Ruby Rally, but with copper/Cupramine any inverts exposed to the treatment will die - you want to pull the fish out of the display tank and move them to a hospital tank while the rest of the display (rocks, sand, inverts, corals, etc.) stay in the now fishless (fallow) display tank.

If you leave the display tank fishless for long enough, it allows the disease (which can be carried by inverts but only infects fish and needs fish to survive/reproduce) time to die off in the display, so your fish won't just get reinfected when you move them back from the hospital tank to the display tank after treating them.

So, leave everything but the fish in the tank.
Thank you

OP
OP
N

neMo40

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anemones and other inverts can be kept in the tank, as long as the system remains fishless for the entire fallow period.

Copper medications will not eliminate brooklynella, and is known to suppress its symptoms at best. Ruby reef rally (which contains acriflavine, an effective brook medication, among other ingredients) is your best choice for medication. 90 minute baths in Ruby Reef Rally, followed by moving the fish into a sterile quarantine, is a good start. Repeat baths until symptoms disappear.
Thank you

Making themselves at home: Have you intentionally done anything in your aquarium to enhance the natural behavior of your fish?

• I planned my tank to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 18 28.1%
  • I did some things to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 22 34.4%
  • Anything that encourages natural fish behavior was a byproduct of the aquascaping.

Votes: 14 21.9%
  • I did not do anything to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 8 12.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.1%
Back