Poseidon's NEW Adventure! ;)

dknuckles

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mike,
I just seen Todd's Radions and the spread is unbelievable! It just may cover it adequately, just put LPS on outer edges.
Love the stand!
BTW...stain

OP
OP
Poseidon

Poseidon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is going to be a very nice tank to watch come together.

Thanks, I hope so!

I was more depressed after seeing his! Thinking how much $ i have in AIs :(

Ya, AI's are on the short list too, Reef Paradise has them on an SPS tank, and they are nice for sure. I have always preferred a "warmer" tank lighting, the AI's look very cool to me. (Almost to blue, without the reds and yellows to go with it.) I was a big fan of the GE 6.5K T5 bulb, and "purple plus" in my previous T5 setups. No reason for me to think I won't like the red/yellow in my tank now.

CoralFragZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok here they are....

I only have ONE Picture of the actual tank, it is still in the Jeep. To be honest that is as good as any place until I have a spot to put it.

The Starphire panel is the one farthest away in this picture.

Okay, on to the stand construction!

70 Feet of 1x4 Cedar. My circular saw is also in the picture, but I didn't use it at all during construction.

Same 70 feet in the basement, darn rain wouldn't quit. I had to spend an hour or so cleaning the basement before I was able to get started. The kids had taken over the space that used to be mine, was theirs, and is now mine again! :D You can also see the 12" Compound Mitre saw, that beast made it like butter!

You can see the "rough" side of the Cedar here, when I saw this in the lumber shop, I thought immediately how STRONG the glue joint would be if I put the rough sides together with glue and screws. In effect I was able to create my own 2x4's with this Cedar.

These are 2 rails, front and back, top and bottom, all the same. These rails are the only pieces that both pieces are the same length. I had them glued, screwed, and clamped at this point to allow the glue to dry for a while.

A close up of how I planned to put all the pieces together. All the rails rest on wood, which extends to the floor. There are no joints that are supported by screws only.

Here are all the pieces, ready for final assembly. Kinda like a jigsaw puzzle.

One of the corners. At this point, they are NOT attached. The stand is not complete even now, as I need some longer screws. (I'll get them tomorrow) In this picture and the next, the stand is sitting as it will when it is finished, but there are no screws or glue holding it together! :D

Final picture of the night, rough completion of the stand, again not attached, just all the pieces placed together.

Now on to the important question, STAIN IT, or PAINT IT?

Nice work.

OP
OP
Poseidon

Poseidon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The stand is all put together, I decided I need an extra set of hands and arms, but they just didn't happen, so I have some sanding to do. Funny how all my measurements were less then a 1/16" tolerance, but I ended up with just over that on the "high" corner. According to my trusty steel square, I am good all around though, so that is a good thing.

I have a shorter work day tomorrow, hopefully I can get it sanded and stained and then in the house the day after. All the pieces are starting to fall into line, now I just need to find a few Benjamin's to spend...

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Nice man I bet you are excited!

creefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I hope so!

Ya, AI's are on the short list too, Reef Paradise has them on an SPS tank, and they are nice for sure. I have always preferred a "warmer" tank lighting, the AI's look very cool to me. (Almost to blue, without the reds and yellows to go with it.) I was a big fan of the GE 6.5K T5 bulb, and "purple plus" in my previous T5 setups. No reason for me to think I won't like the red/yellow in my tank now.

This is one of the reasons I moved from LED to T5. My new build is all T5 and I'm playing with lamps. I do have plans to DIY and LED strip into my T5 fixture. The primary purpose for this is to get some shimmer to the tank that is simply missing.

Again, really looking forward to your build. Looks great thus far.

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The stand is all put together, I decided I need an extra set of hands and arms, but they just didn't happen, so I have some sanding to do. Funny how all my measurements were less then a 1/16" tolerance, but I ended up with just over that on the "high" corner. According to my trusty steel square, I am good all around though, so that is a good thing.

I have a shorter work day tomorrow, hopefully I can get it sanded and stained and then in the house the day after. All the pieces are starting to fall into line, now I just need to find a few Benjamin's to spend...
great to hear man. hope to see the tank up soon. :)

OP
OP
Poseidon

Poseidon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank and stand are in the living room, I have the official seal of approval from the wife on the stand too! :D

Now that I have it in place, I want to dress up the stand a bit, it needs a couple shelves I think, one on the bottom, and one in the middle. I am also thinking of adding a back, so that it is open on 3 sides, but has a back to cover the pipes that will be going to the basement. I'll post up some pictures tomorrow of where I am so far.

chort55

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad to see your making progess on this man! Hope that cO2 tank will be useful to ya as well..... you did remember to grab it right? lol Keep up the good work can't wait to see it with water!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OP
OP
Poseidon

Poseidon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are the few quick snaps I took last night:

I think Lightroom did a bit to much to the stain color, it is not quite that dark, but close. (I used a natural Danish Oil finish on Cedar.)

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 113 41.7%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 133 49.1%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 25 9.2%
Back