Possible dinos?

Dan_of_Earth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, I've had an issue recently crop up that I'm thinking might be dinos based on information I've been reading. My system is about a year and a half old, I was dealing with pretty high nutrients for a while so I decided to add a refugium which ended up working too well. Now I'm at close to zero nitrate and phosphate. I've eased up my fuge lighting schedule and started to feed a bit heavier. I'm sure whatever this bloom is is related to the low nutrients but hoping some of you more experienced reefers could help me identify. I know the proper course of action would be to purchase a microscope, but for now, some video will hopefully help.

The first video is this stuff on the sand, it also began cropping up on the rock and growing over some of my zoas. The second video is the result of me siphoning the sand into a filter sock. Whatever this is seems to have gone right through the socks. Thanks for any help!

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bottomed out nutrients often result in dinos but as you referenced a cheap microscope is required to ID

dangles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I can’t see the video either.

I started experiencing a small dino outbreak. I confirmed it when I noticed they “disappeared” off the sand during the night and early morning before the lights get turned on. That would be one way to confirm.

OP
OP
Dan_of_Earth

Dan_of_Earth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sorry, not sure why the vids arent working. ill take some pictures later today. Upon further inspection whatever this is is not totally gone with the lights out. Maybe there is hope yet

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 92 80.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back