Tivos IM Nuvo 75 ext build thread

reeftivo

skim junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

been in the hobby for a while and never did a build thread, so i figured what the heck.

I've had a 60 gallon cube for quite some time and i have always had challenges when it comes to keeping the aesthetics to my wifes liking LOL. I had achaeto reactor and calcium reactor w/secondary chamber outside the tank and it's always been a Clutter night mare. So i figured, what the heck! I'll get a slightly bigger system with room to house all my gadgets, fish and coral.

Early last year i had just gotten over a fairly long bout of the dreaded Dinos and it wiped out most of my corals. Many Have bounced back, but my darn green stylo turned into a weed and spawned literally all over the tank. I had new little colonies popping up everywhere. I guess that's a testiment to how hardy those suckers really are. since then the 60cube has been flourishing but the aesthetics were wearing on both of us.

Enter the IM Nuvo 75 EXT: I Started this PIA transfer the morning after the tank was delivered and i knew it was not going to be fun. Although the 60 is a relatively small system, My back couldn't care less-LOL!!!!! A couple back surgeries later and there i was bending, stooping and lifting for almost 48 straight hours. I HAD to try and at least get it plummed and have the rerturn pump running, so i can transfer everything by Sunday night. Couldn't sleep Saturday night because all i could think about was what still needs to be done.

My overall opinion is the EXT 75 is a Beautiful tank and built like one too. Only thing i don't care for is that acrylic back in front of the back glass. i've found that can scratch up over time and be very difficult to clean. I guess as long as i can keep the sides and front clean i'll be good though. Funny story about the protective backing, but I will elaborate later and maybe someone else can benefit from my mistake. I've read mostly great reviews, but one story about bubbles in the seams stuck in my mind. My seams are perfect! I'm talking perfect.

Here's the old tank:

20220430_055358.jpg

20220430_112405.jpg

20220430_055333.jpg

Above: started setting out the pieces for the stand. nice surprise was that they included two extra supports for the floor. So there's 4 now instead of two like the top. Not sure if they started that recently but i've seen a few build threads showing only the two.
20220430_063606.jpg

20220430_073135.jpg

almost done

20220430_082040.jpg

Done. just left the protective tape on until i get everything set up

20220430_100817.jpg

my garage is fairly big (two car), but lots of stuff strewn all over the place most important of which is that fat crate on the left by the garage door.

OP
OP
reeftivo

reeftivo

skim junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20220501_111624.jpg

cleaned up the old sump as best i could and the stand holds the dual reactor with 3rd chamber perfectly. i'll put the bottle out side in the nook to the right of the tank.

20220501_112059.jpg

used a dolly to lift the edge of the pallet and scoot it to the door threshold. I then flipped a big rug and slid the tank onto the rug and pulled it into the house right in front of the stand

Last edited:
OP
OP
reeftivo

reeftivo

skim junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20220501_120354.jpg

well it's up. just needed to work on plumbing late last night. Not the best idea to be exhausted when you are trying to figure out something. things always go wrong. Like that Backing in the tank. Guess what? i was so out of it i added about 30 gallons of water to the tank before i realized i left the backing on. Yes, i was that out of it LOL. When i tried to peel it off it would only peel down to the water line, then fell apart. Had to drain it and figure out something else. Started scraping it but it did nothing. then tried a razor blade, but that doesn't work well with acrylic.

after an hour of cursing myself for doing that, i had a moment of clarity and decide to try my wifes hair dryer on it to dry the tape and see what happens. it worked perfectly and the adhesive backing must have re-adhered to he paper. WHEEEEW!!!!! I lost my patience and about and hour and a half of work time-LOLOL

was too pooped last night to get any more pics, but more to come. Today after work i will be working on wire management and making things neat, or at least nicer than i had before.

I'll update soon

Tivo

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Laughing with you - not at you. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes: Anything water-related + lack of sleep is never a good combination (been there, done that)...

So where is the final position for the tank?

OP
OP
reeftivo

reeftivo

skim junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks goodness! Lol. i thought i would get some space cadet commentsfor sure, but glad you can relate.

As far as the location goes, i am limited with the floor plan of my condo. I had a 120 against the wall opposite the kitchen for 7 years. With it there, we could easily see our small tube TV, but now with flat panels it's hard to mount anything over by the staircase. I could mount a TV over the fireplace, but that's at a 45 and it just wouldn't work for us. So, long story short, it will go where the old tank was in front of the staircase railing. the fire place is right next to it but we haven't used that in like 15 yrs. Just never cold enough!

it's not ideal by any means, but we own the condo and love it despite the tank (says my wife-lol)

i told her when things calm down we can rent out the condo and buy a house. Of course the house would need to be tank compatible and that space would probably be the only things i would be looking for (Wife: honey that kitchen is nice! Me: Ya, so is that wall in the living room)

OP
OP
reeftivo

reeftivo

skim junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
some updates

added water and transferred critters. lost two fish:-(. overall happy though and like the minimalist look. much more room than the cube.

Water is still clearing up and not the best pics, sorry. used my android with a bad filter lens. couldn't find my orphek lens kit-boo

20220503_171340.jpg

20220503_171406.jpg

20220503_171415.jpg

20220503_171446.jpg

OP
OP
reeftivo

reeftivo

skim junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
overflow is SILENT!!!! easy to dial in and the only audible noise is a tiny little hum from my skimmer that i can hear when i'm up close. when i back off 5 feet i can't hear anything and that's with the front doors off. i'll post some pics of the overflow tomorrow

super happy with my purchase

OP
OP
reeftivo

reeftivo

skim junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
forgot to mention that my MP10s won't work for this tank, so i picked up a couple Jabao OW 25's for 72 each.

installed last night and forgot to get pics. will update tonight. they move a good amount of water and i have them at 75%

trying to figure out best direction as to not irritate corals, yet get the best all around flow. i like the adjustability of the jebaos because they are like tunze and can go off the back wall while still being fully directional from the corners. We'll see how long they last.

1651677085240.png

OP
OP
reeftivo

reeftivo

skim junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a few more photos. been busy with life and haven't posted in a while
20220509_174917.jpg

a little better filter on cruddy phone camera. liking it so far but still need to make some tweeks like replacing the ball valve with a spears valve and adding some lights.
assembled screen lid and added a few critters. CBB, a couple true percs and a couple gold head go gobys to stir the sand. will post a pic of the gold heads when they get comfortable and are out and about.
20220509_175604.jpg

20220509_175623.jpg

Andre Simeon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful tank - can you do me a favor? Can you tell me the dimensions from the back of the overflow to the front of the tank? I need it right around 27” which includes the tank and back overflow. Would help me tremendously. Thanks!

OP
OP
reeftivo

reeftivo

skim junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks. i can confirm tonight for you but i think just over 27 inches

here are the specs from IM:
Aquarium:

• Approximately 75 Gallons
  • Dimensions: 35.4" x 23.6" x 19.7"
  • Solid Glass Overflow DIMS: 15.7" x 3.5" x 5.9"
  • Crated Package Weight: 196 lbs.
  • Included Plumbing: 2- 3/4" LOC-LINE w/ Dual Flare Nozzles [Return] 1- Primary Drain Assembly [Overflow] 1 - E-Drain Assembly, 1 - Secondary E-Drain Assembly
  • 3 - 1" Pre-drilled "Bean Animal" Internal Overflow [Primary Drain, Emergency Drain and Secondary E-Drain]
  • 2 – ¾” Pre-drilled Return Hole
  • Laser Cut Black Acrylic Weir w/ Slot Cut Rear Glass Panel
  • Ultra-Thick 12mm High Clarity Low Iron Glass
  • Diamond Edged Flat Polished
  • Black Silicone
  • Pre-Installed Rubber Leveling Mat
  • Recommended Return Pump Flow Rate: 750-1500 GPH
APS Stand:

• Stand DIMS: Length 35.68” Width: 23.50” Height: 35.81”
  • Interior DIMS: Length 32.37” Width: 19.31” Height: 33.75”
  • Stand Package Weight: 65 lbs.
  • Anodized Aluminum
  • Corrosion Resistant
  • No Warping or Swelling
  • Integrated Hardware
  • Easy Set up (semi-assembled)
  • Includes Adjustable MDF Shelf
  • Includes hex torque wrench
  • Light Weight
  • Modular
  • Includes pre-cut Closed Cell PVC Foam boards
  • Includes Shelf Board
  • Top and Bottom Magnetic Door Latches
  • Side Access Doors
  • Spacious interior for sumps
  • 100% recyclable aluminum
  • Color: White

OP
OP
reeftivo

reeftivo

skim junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This escalated very quickly. Such a sleek setup. Makes me want a new tank.
thanks

i avoided a cycle by transferring all my seasoned gear/rock and using 50% of the water from the old tank.
I kept my Bio filtration (SIPORAX/MATRIX) active by keeping it well circulated in my garage during the transfer. Only the sand was replaced, which is currently going through a little ugly phase. Need to bump up my clean up crew a bit too ;)

i have one massive turbo, 2 smaller turbos, a few ceriths, red legged hermits and some others but not nearly enough.

Kellie in CA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Great scape! Nice to see a fellow reefer that lives close to me. Curious why the MP10's didn't work for you? I just ordered the 40L which is the same length, but not quite as wide or high.

OP
OP
reeftivo

reeftivo

skim junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello there:)

MP10's wouldn't work because the glass on the EXT is 12mm. My 60 is 10mm and the MP10's barely hung on. they just fall off the sides of the 75. The jebaos are working great at 75% on "else" mode. Strong magnets and adjustability too! i have to buy another bag of more course sand to replace some of the front pane sand. i have the flow right where i like it but the finer sand in sections of the front works it's way back which is irritating my corals a little. Doesn't help that my maroon clown thinks he's a diamond goby and is constantly excavating. maybe i need a Nem in there to keep him off the sand. Don't really want a Nem though. They travel around too much in my past experiences with them.

Last edited:
Back