Possible to run a reef on one powerhead?

Daphne's_Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stupid question time!

I've got a 40 gallon mixed reef. I've got an old (undersized, don't remember which model) tunze, a cheap aqueon I got from petco, and am getting too many wires around the tank. I'm hoping to do some tank reno this year because it's a bit of a mess right now. HOPEFULLY within the next couple of months, it'll be on a new stand and I'll be able to put a sump under it. Once I do that, would it be possible to get a powerhead of a decent size and run the whole thing off of it? A bit (though not much) extra flow will come from the overflow/return, and from my skimmer, though that obviously doesn't count towards the whole thing. Could something like a gyre do it, or maybe something I DON'T need to hook to a wifi system and control with an app? I'd like it to be enough that the little bit of SPS I've got will get some flow to it, and that I'll be able to eventually kick up the detritus enough that the overflow will catch it.

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stupid question time!

I've got a 40 gallon mixed reef. I've got an old (undersized, don't remember which model) tunze, a cheap aqueon I got from petco, and am getting too many wires around the tank. I'm hoping to do some tank reno this year because it's a bit of a mess right now. HOPEFULLY within the next couple of months, it'll be on a new stand and I'll be able to put a sump under it. Once I do that, would it be possible to get a powerhead of a decent size and run the whole thing off of it? A bit (though not much) extra flow will come from the overflow/return, and from my skimmer, though that obviously doesn't count towards the whole thing. Could something like a gyre do it, or maybe something I DON'T need to hook to a wifi system and control with an app? I'd like it to be enough that the little bit of SPS I've got will get some flow to it, and that I'll be able to eventually kick up the detritus enough that the overflow will catch it.
I think it's possible, as long as your rockscape isn't so monolithic that it prevent dispersion of flow. I have one of these gyres (maxpect 4k) in my current build, combined with the return nozzles it creates plenty of flow and I have it nowhere near turned up to max. No wifi or app required.

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More than possible. I've got a 60g cube that could easily run on one and that's what I started with. Only added the second because it was sent to me for testing and review purposes.

Size of the tank isn't really the determination, but more so your rock, inhabitants, layout and how that all contributes to overall need and dead spots.

Start with one and see how it goes. Play with positioning and power. Can always add a second sometime down the line if your needs change.

OP
OP
D

Daphne's_Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a bunch of rocks that are scattered along the bottom instead of stacked. Don't know if that would make a difference (and if there's an easy way to make some sort of stand for them, so there would be no dead spots under them, I'd absolutely be willing to!)

I'll look into that gyre. Thank you!

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 49 29.9%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.7%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 45 27.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 56 34.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.9%

Back