Possible Uronema Springri Damsel

Razorbacks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think this fish may already be a goner and this might be uronema, but looking for other opinion if there's anything I can do. This is a brand new fish. Look fine when I got him several days ago. He's already in QT alone with coper power around 2.3 concentration. He's been hiding very well despite few hiding spots. Today I finally got a good look at him for the first time in days and was shocked by what I saw.

A huge part of his scales just looks white and dry. Trying to determine if there's any hope and if so what do do. Thanks

In-depth information:
Respiration rate of affected fish: Appears a little elevated
Are the affected fish still feeding? Unsure
What remedies have you tried so far? New fish in copper power already, nothing else done.
Attaching a video link: Link

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Razorbacks Welcome to the Fish Disease Treatment and Diagnosis Forum!

The #fishmedic team and other knowledgeable members of our community will do our best to help you resolve your questions. Please provide as much of the following as you are able:
  • Brief description of the issue you are observing and answers to the following questions:
    • How long have you had the fish with the condition?
    • Did you quarantine with medication when you first acquired the fish? (If Yes, which medication?)
  • Current water quality measurements
  • Clear photos of the issue taken using WHITE light and/or a short video of any behaviors (post in your response or on YouTube).
If you can help us by providing as much of the above info as possible, it will make diagnosing and providing recommendations for treatment MUCH easier! The Fish Medic team will get back to you as quickly as possible. In the meantime, other members of our community may also share their experience with similar situations and advice that they may have regarding your situation.

You may also feel free to provide a more detailed description of the condition if you wish to share more info than the above list.

Additionally, these links may be useful while you await a response:

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It doesn’t really look consistent with uronema to me - that would be a more thin band (usually closer to the tail).
I’m seeing what looks like a potential heater burn (or some other injury) that got infected.
I’d try treating with kanaplex or neoplex and see if it improves.

OP
OP
Razorbacks

Razorbacks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A heater burn is very possible he's been hiding directly under the heater the vast majority of the time but I didn't assume he would actually stay there long enough to burn itself.

Would metroplex be an help? I have that on hand currently. If not my LFS has KanaPlex I could go get tomorrow when they re-open.

I can also raise the heater from the bottom of the tank to the backwall to make it slightly less useful as a hiding spot to deter him hanging out there.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Metro wouldn’t do anything for bacterial infections - kanaplex would be the way to go.
I’d move the heater and toss in some extra pvc to hide behind.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I think this fish may already be a goner and this might be uronema, but looking for other opinion if there's anything I can do. This is a brand new fish. Look fine when I got him several days ago. He's already in QT alone with coper power around 2.3 concentration. He's been hiding very well despite few hiding spots. Today I finally got a good look at him for the first time in days and was shocked by what I saw.

A huge part of his scales just looks white and dry. Trying to determine if there's any hope and if so what do do. Thanks

In-depth information:
Respiration rate of affected fish: Appears a little elevated
Are the affected fish still feeding? Unsure
What remedies have you tried so far? New fish in copper power already, nothing else done.
Attaching a video link: Link
While a heater burn is possible. the blemish/issue is on both sides of the body leading me to believe this is a serious bacterial issue. You are correct in assuming the fish may or not make it.
Uronema is an oval shaped ciliated parasite and generally on one side of the given fish. Best treatment while I am not a fan of mixing meds with coppersafe is Seachem Kanaplex

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does look like advanced Uronema to me.

Regarding “heater burns”, even with sedentary fish like bamboo sharks, this just isn’t something that happens. Water draws off heat from the heater tube very quickly. The fish would need to be in tight contact with the heater for a long period to cause any damage, and the pain receptors on the fish won’t allow that.

It’s just that many fish disease lesions LOOK like burns…..

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone. Unfortunately the fish passed overnight. Assuming this was uronema, is there anything I need to do to the QT like teardown and bleach it?
Internal Uronema is harbored inside susceptible species. It is a common free living protozoan in most marine aquariums, its normal habit is to feed on bacteria. It is rarely demonstrated to be contagious from one fish to another, I only have seen one case myself.

I don’t think you need to bleach the tank for Uronema. However, the damsel could have been carrying more contagious parasites that just didn’t have time to produce symptoms. In that case, you would want to leave the tank empty for 45 days, or go ahead and bleach it and start over. I’d prefer to wait, as it is going to take you weeks to cycle up the sterilized tank anyway.

Jay

OP
OP
Razorbacks

Razorbacks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. We're moving in a month so tank will be coming down then. I was already not looking forward to moving an active QT tank on top of the display tank so I'll just go ahead and tear it down now. Probably just buy this particular fish pre-quarantined or wait post move to try QT again.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Metro wouldn’t do anything for bacterial infections - kanaplex would be the way to go.
I’d move the heater and toss in some extra pvc to hide behind.
Agree with your point, just for the record, though, Metronidazole is an antibiotic mainly active against anaerobic bacteria as well as anti parasitic. However - the bacteria if this was an infection - in a fish is much more likely to be responsive to kanamycin than metronidazole. BTW - I can't see the picture of the fish - where is it?

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with your point, just for the record, though, Metronidazole is an antibiotic mainly active against anaerobic bacteria as well as anti parasitic. However - the bacteria if this was an infection - in a fish is much more likely to be responsive to kanamycin than metronidazole. BTW - I can't see the picture of the fish - where is it?
There was a YouTube link at the end of the op.
I always knew it as more of a protozoan or worm med. Thanks for the info!

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

In the original post, click on the last word, "link".

Jay

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 104 75.9%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back