Preview of 'PegLeg', the new 2011 AVAST Cone Skimmer DIY Kit

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

OP
OP
ctenophore

ctenophore

Avast Justin
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check out their site, they have a video of the assembly. It looks pretty easy.

The new version is even easier than the old version in the video. We will update the video soon but the main steps it shows of building the cone body and collection cup are essentially unchanged.

OP
OP
ctenophore

ctenophore

Avast Justin
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a 12 hour update. I was surprised to see a cup full of fairly wet skimmate this quickly when I went out to feed the greenhouse this morning. I didn't even try to adjust the foam level when I shot the first video last night.
[video=youtube;_Fokm83XWzM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Fokm83XWzM[/video]

Pardon the background noise, there are a lot of pumps and gadgets running in this place.

rroselavy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow. You guys are doing a great job. Will there be white acrylic in the skimmer cup bottom and lid like in the CAD rendering? It makes the skimmer look a lot slicker.

AVAST Marine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow. You guys are doing a great job. Will there be white acrylic in the skimmer cup bottom and lid like in the CAD rendering? It makes the skimmer look a lot slicker.

At some point we may switch to grey PVC sheet components to match the rest of the skimmer plumbing and some of out other equipment we make. Thanks for the compliments!

versach000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered Sicce PSK2500 venturi
AVAST Marine Works - Sicce PSK2500 venturi - Product Details

I thought it come whit venturi and modified volute like in PIC
psk2500_venturi_md.jpg

but only come front of acrylic :cry:

Maybe i'm confused because of PIC

Do you have for sale extra volute cap?
And I need Sicce PSK2500 replacement shaft too

Last edited:
OP
OP
ctenophore

ctenophore

Avast Justin
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi versach00,

I think I found your order record and emailed you about the venturi. Let me know if you got it. Sorry for the misunderstanding!

Justin

OP
OP
ctenophore

ctenophore

Avast Justin
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Peglegs are now in stock! Those who preordered had theirs shipped last week (nearly a week ahead of schedule- when does that ever happen??). We added the Locker as an option which saves $20 when ordered with the skimmer kit. Presenting "The Works" by Avast Marine - Skimmer, Swabbie, Locker all in one:
cs1-kit_complete_md.png

$435 for the ultimate low maintenance, high productivity skimmer that even turns itself off when full :)

AVAST Marine Works - CS1 Cone Skimmer Kit - Product Details

Antonias1391

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can afford it and your tank is the appropriate size get it!! im getting some nearly black gunk now that i have it where it likes it heres a video of my regular skimmer with the tunze 9140 pump
YouTube - New skimmer vid there a link to the video

Last edited:

AVAST Marine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can afford it and your tank is the appropriate size get it!! im getting some nearly black gunk now that i have it where it likes it heres a video of my regular skimmer with the tunze 9140 pump
YouTube - New skimmer vid there a link to the video

Looks great! The tunze pump looks like it is a little loose. Might be worth it to build up the outlet of the pump with some teflon tape to get a better seal. Another trick is to tighten down the zip tie on the vinyl tubing first and then push the pump into the tubing, rather than trying to tighten with the pump in the tubing already.

Antonias1391

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no its not loose just some bubbles from my overflow, its actually a exact fit. i recently got filter socks and that takes care of it. if you want i can get some pics pf the skim mate before i clean it next, some horrid stuff sense im vodka dosing and using MB7

AVAST Marine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no its not loose just some bubbles from my overflow, its actually a exact fit. i recently got filter socks and that takes care of it. if you want i can get some pics pf the skim mate before i clean it next, some horrid stuff sense im vodka dosing and using MB7

Ahh, I see. Nasty pics are always welcome :)

versach000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, our stock pump is the PSK 2500. I know of at least one person using a Tunze Hydrofoamer with great success (spoke with him today actually). Also the hole in the base plate is 1", so you can use a different pump if you have one handy. The Sicce PSK 600 would be a good choice also, and should fit with no modifications to the kit. I believe the volute output nozzle is the same size as the 2500.

how about askoll pump?
it would be too strong?

Eddie Baby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two questions, guys -
  1. The description on the DIY kit now shows the add-in pump as the PSK1000. Is this correct? Why did you decide to make the change from the PSK2500?
  2. The kit shows as out-of-stock - any idea when you'll have more in?
Thanks!

OP
OP
ctenophore

ctenophore

Avast Justin
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two questions, guys -
  1. The description on the DIY kit now shows the add-in pump as the PSK1000. Is this correct? Why did you decide to make the change from the PSK2500?
  2. The kit shows as out-of-stock - any idea when you'll have more in?
Thanks!
Yes, we have just recently switched to the PSK 1000. The 2500 is no longer being made as I understand it, and the 1000 is designed from the start to be a skimmer pinwheel pump without the directional volute like the 2500. Otherwise the characteristics are pretty close in terms of air draw and power consumption. We've designed & machined a venturi specifically for this pump & skimmer body too.

They're near the top of the production queue so I hope by the end of next week or beginning of 3/21. I may set up a preorder for them with a discount too if I see enough interest :)
how about askoll pump?
it would be too strong?
If you are referring to the laguna 1500, yes I think that one would be too strong.

Quinn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, we have just recently switched to the PSK 1000. The 2500 is no longer being made as I understand it, and the 1000 is designed from the start to be a skimmer pinwheel pump without the directional volute like the 2500. Otherwise the characteristics are pretty close in terms of air draw and power consumption. We've designed & machined a venturi specifically for this pump & skimmer body too.

They're near the top of the production queue so I hope by the end of next week or beginning of 3/21. I may set up a preorder for them with a discount too if I see enough interest :)

If you are referring to the laguna 1500, yes I think that one would be too strong.

Preorder discount sounds good to me!

OP
OP
ctenophore

ctenophore

Avast Justin
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CS1 kits are finally back in stock! Very soon everything else will be as well, including all size Swabbies (yes even 6") and lockers.

OP
OP
ctenophore

ctenophore

Avast Justin
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, they are coming soon :)

They look really neat, and are dark enough to appear black but translucent enough to see the bubble line for adjustment.

Jake @ RB nicknamed it the Stealth, but we have a more themed name planned. I think Dan was planning something along the line of 'LE Black Pearl PegLeg'. Can't let just the coral folks have all the naming fun :)

Quinn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, they are coming soon :)

They look really neat, and are dark enough to appear black but translucent enough to see the bubble line for adjustment.

Jake @ RB nicknamed it the Stealth, but we have a more themed name planned. I think Dan was planning something along the line of 'LE Black Pearl PegLeg'. Can't let just the coral folks have all the naming fun :)

I might have to wait for one of those :)

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 5.9%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 7 5.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 110 80.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.4%
Back