Protein skimmer help

kb reef relief

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Newer to the hobby so sorry if this is a dumb question. I’m currently running a 60 gallon marineland aquarium with an inline canister filter. I’m looking to add a skimmer to the filtration. I’m new to the skimmers and I am planning on eventually upgrading to a sump with a 150-200 gallon DT. Are there skimmers that work inline? And if so, are there models that can later be placed in a sump when I do upgrade? I’d rather go that route then have to buy a hang on the back skimmer and have to purchase a second skimmer when I do upgrade.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Newer to the hobby so sorry if this is a dumb question. I’m currently running a 60 gallon marineland aquarium with an inline canister filter. I’m looking to add a skimmer to the filtration. I’m new to the skimmers and I am planning on eventually upgrading to a sump with a 150-200 gallon DT. Are there skimmers that work inline? And if so, are there models that can later be placed in a sump when I do upgrade? I’d rather go that route then have to buy a hang on the back skimmer and have to purchase a second skimmer when I do upgrade.
There internal and more pricey external
With sump , an internal unit such as reef octopus, nyos , ice cap or aquamaxx will work well

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Not really. I would look for a second hand hob skimmer for now and buy the skimmer for your bigger tank when it's set up. Are you having issues now that you need a skimmer for? Skimmers are great, but you can run a reef without one.

OP
OP
K

kb reef relief

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not really. I would look for a second hand hob skimmer for now and buy the skimmer for your bigger tank when it's set up. Are you having issues now that you need a skimmer for? Skimmers are great, but you can run a reef without one.
Yes been struggling with nutrient overload. First I had bryopsis which I treated with flucanozole and water changes which resolved that issue and now a cyano outbreak. Concerned with treatments my nitrates and phosphates are going to sky rocket. I’ve done water changes once weekly of approximately 30%. Using Red Sea reef salt and RO water for all changes.

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yes been struggling with nutrient overload. First I had bryopsis which I treated with flucanozole and water changes which resolved that issue and now a cyano outbreak. Concerned with treatments my nitrates and phosphates are going to sky rocket. I’ve done water changes once weekly of approximately 30%. Using Red Sea reef salt and RO water for all changes.
Maybe try a hob refugium or algae reactor, which may give you better results competing for nutrients. I never found water changes did anything other than replacing elements. You can run it opposite of your display lights to balance out ph. A skimmer will help, but I don’t think it will be the magic bullet in nutrient reduction.
Also, make sure you have a good CUC to take care of the algae in the display. There’s a phrase that we use, you don’t have an algae problem, you have a herbivore problem.

mann1139

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a robust secondhand market for HOB skimmers around that size.

That said, a skimmer won't get rid of nutrients. You might need to think about macroalgae.

OP
OP
K

kb reef relief

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe try a hob refugium or algae reactor, which may give you better results competing for nutrients. I never found water changes did anything other than replacing elements. You can run it opposite of your display lights to balance out ph. A skimmer will help, but I don’t think it will be the magic bullet in nutrient reduction.
Also, make sure you have a good CUC to take care of the algae in the display. There’s a phrase that we use, you don’t have an algae problem, you have a herbivore problem.
That was my assumption too. I try to get as much of the cyano out as I can with my water change but a few days later it’s back in full force.

Definitely have a robust CUC but it may need a little replenishing.

Thanks for the advice

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 85 44.7%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 65 34.2%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 26 13.7%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 12 6.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.1%
Back