Quanta bars!!!!!!!!!

Lousybreed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, awesome! I've been to Lucas house to pick up coral. He knows the guys at orphek very well. Thats good news! Maybe he's created something a bit better. I retract my last statement on cost since it looks like his are on par or higher than the orphek sales.

You can't go wrong with this type led bar, either of them.
Yeah man, there is zero in common with my light and the other one you mentioned. I can promise you that. From the dual chip, lens, driver, cord length, etc.

Seansea

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How heavy is the pro? I see he has a slimmer lighter version with less wattage which will make where i mount it easier. This is just supplement to my 2 kessils so wondering if his cheaper model is worth it or just too dim

OP
OP
B

Boehmtown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How heavy is the pro? I see he has a slimmer lighter version with less wattage which will make where i mount it easier. This is just supplement to my 2 kessils so wondering if his cheaper model is worth it or just too dim
From what I could tell. (I got the cheaper model at first) it's about half the power. Supplemental light height it's gonna influence your color, have Great spread and add maybe 50 par (all guesses luca would know better) and the pros will add 100-150 par depending on how you mount it. Mine (the pro) is mounted lower and adds around 200 par (reef crest bar). I think the pro is twice the quality and output so pricings on par. If you're keeping acropora/high light corals I'd go pro for sure. It's not a heavy bar because the transformer is on the chord. It's "heavy" compared to a cheap bar cause it uses really good materials

Seansea

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I could tell. (I got the cheaper model at first) it's about half the power. Supplemental light height it's gonna influence your color, have Great spread and add maybe 50 par (all guesses luca would know better) and the pros will add 100-150 par depending on how you mount it. Mine (the pro) is mounted lower and adds around 200 par (reef crest bar). I think the pro is twice the quality and output so pricings on par. If you're keeping acropora/high light corals I'd go pro for sure. It's not a heavy bar because the transformer is on the chord. It's "heavy" compared to a cheap bar cause it uses really good materials
Ok thanks for the info

OP
OP
B

Boehmtown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Short term review. #1 what a difference a quality light/spectrum makes, immediate positive response from my corals. #2 The ease of the lighting system has really set in. I can absolutely pick any size tank, reference the website on the amount of bars and color spectrums and light a tank without a par meter. The only potential downside at this time , is the lack of off the shelf mounting. I diy almost everything, so it didn't matter to me and the mounts and hanging kit was more than enough.

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Short term review. #1 what a difference a quality light/spectrum makes, immediate positive response from my corals. #2 The ease of the lighting system has really set in. I can absolutely pick any size tank, reference the website on the amount of bars and color spectrums and light a tank without a par meter. The only potential downside at this time , is the lack of off the shelf mounting. I diy almost everything, so it didn't matter to me and the mounts and hanging kit was more than enough.
Yeah, I could easily use a combo of meso blue and tropic sun bars over a tank and be happy with the results.

nbooks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive got my 6ft 225 light with only quanta pros, 1 each of meso/crest/pop.

agree with everything said, they are by far the best solution for my tank and colors are great, I only have two torches at the moment thanks to an emperor angel who blew my nitrate control up LOL, but the torches POP and the fish colors are great for the money spent vs anything else.

OP
OP
B

Boehmtown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Slightly longer term review. I love love love this light. I think I'm converted for good. Someone actually commented on my polyp extension the other day .

All the talk about par..... don't under estimate the importance of spectrum, what an improvement having a quality fixed spectrum on the tank.

I feel like I have to say more to convey how much I like the lights but I just like everything about them. 10/10

Seansea

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the reef crest. Have had it around 2 months. Like it alot but the light is really white. He said the its around 18k but there is no way. My kessil ranges from 10k to 20k and at 30% color so around 17k its way more blue. Thinkin its more around 12k. But that being said my corals have responded nice to it and the fish look absolutely amazing under this light.

20230916_205128.jpg

OP
OP
B

Boehmtown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the reef crest. Have had it around 2 months. Like it alot but the light is really white. He said the its around 18k but there is no way. My kessil ranges from 10k to 20k and at 30% color so around 17k its way more blue. Thinkin its more around 12k. But that being said my corals have responded nice to it and the fish look absolutely amazing under this light.

20230916_205128.jpg
I have the same bar, I think the mesos are more 17k , the og pop is the straight blue 20k, the reef crest i think 12-14k is fair. I have a mixture of lights for color and pop and use the quanta bar as my main coral nutrition light like a nice 12 hour base 200 par good spectrum heavy lifting

OP
OP
B

Boehmtown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still cant get my pc rainbow to grow at all tho
May need more par, pH or maturity in the tank. Or just time. I've had something sit there for a bit and seemingly over night lock in more vibrant color and start growing. Almost like it figured out how to grow all of a sudden and just take off

Seansea

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
May need more par, pH or maturity in the tank. Or just time. I've had something sit there for a bit and seemingly over night lock in more vibrant color and start growing. Almost like it figured out how to grow all of a sudden and just take off

Agree. Stylo did nothing for 6 months now growing crazy.

OP
OP
B

Boehmtown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything is on the website. They even have spectral graphs with descriptions on what you see with your eye for all of the bar combinations.

LobsterOfJustice

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything is on the website. They even have spectral graphs with descriptions on what you see with your eye for all of the bar combinations.
Not exactly. There is a website with info but not the details of how many and what nm diodes are in each type of bar. Emailed and he said it was proprietary. Still considering these but I was just asking for the information for easy comparison since every other bar I’m considering freely shares this info.

And the spectrum graphs are… not great IMO. There is not enough numbers on the x axis to even tell where the peaks are.

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Not exactly. There is a website with info but not the details of how many and what nm diodes are in each type of bar. Emailed and he said it was proprietary. Still considering these but I was just asking for the information for easy comparison since every other bar I’m considering freely shares this info.

And the spectrum graphs are… not great IMO. There is not enough numbers on the x axis to even tell where the peaks are.
From someone who used Orphek and XHO, I can tell you that the spectrum, blending, par, etc is so much better with the Quanta's than the others I mentioned. Luca did the legwork to get these bars just right, so I don't think him not sharing the info is a big deal. If you want to dig deeper into these lights, maybe @telegraham can give you his perspective on them? You can check out his review on the humble fish site. ;)

OP
OP
B

Boehmtown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I see what you're saying. He says he has some secret sauce with the way the LEDs are run and reflected or something. I believe him anecdotally, they put out just really good par, run cool, are fixed spectrums similar to t5 but they have to be mounted much higher. I love mine. I'm converted. I just adjust the whites with any old cool/warm led light

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 48 20.3%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 2.1%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 171 72.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 5.1%
Back