Quarantine

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the name of that product? So I can look up the active ingredients.

OP
OP
A

Alzy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1427381390.874708.jpg

miyags

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Seachem Cupramine and Seachem MultiTest copper. With great success The test kit can be hard to read.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't find a MSDS, so I'm relying upon what I've read in a couple of threads about Cuprazin. Ingredients are Copper sulfate, Formaldehyde and Malachite green. The only one of those three that is useful for treating marine ich is Copper sulfate, and that is comparable to what is in chelated copper (i.e. Coppersafe here in the states.) Therefore, the therapeutic range would be 1.5-2.0 mg/L or ppm for 30 days, and you would need a “total copper test kit” such as API’s to measure Cuprazin.

However, I strongly advise against leaving a fish in formaldehyde (harsh chemical that is also a known carcinogen) for 30 days. Therefore, I advise you to run carbon/do WCs to remove all the Cuprazin from the water and use this instead: Seachem Cupramine Copper Aquarium medication - 250ml: Amazon.co.uk: Pet Supplies

I also suggest picking up one of these so you can properly test the concentration of Cupramine periodically: http://www.charterhouse-aquatics.co.uk/seachem-multitest-copper-test-kit-p-1373.html

You probably know better places/websites in the UK to order these products from. ;)

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

Alzy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the links.

Ill be adding the carbon bags to the filter now and clearing out the chems I added.
Will do a water change tonight/tomorrow depending on time.

My question about parameters? What can I do to get them where there needed to be best? Forgot to add temp and on a mercury stick on glass thermometer I have 24'C and on my digital one it says 24.4'C.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My question about parameters? What can I do to get them where there needed to be best? Forgot to add temp and on a mercury stick on glass thermometer I have 24'C and on my digital one it says 24.4'C.

24C is fine; you can even go a little lower than that if you like, as there is more available oxygen at lower temps and it also reduces the metabolic demands on a sick fish. SG can also be lowered to 1.017 for the same reasons. However, unless the fish is in great distress you can usually maintain "normal" SG/temp while treating.

The only other parameter you need be concerned about in a fish QT is ammonia. It has to remain 0 at all times. The presence of copper will render most (but not all) liquid ammonia test kits useless (by providing false positives), so this is your best option for constant monitoring: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Seachem-116001007-Ammonia-Alert/dp/B000255R5G

OP
OP
A

Alzy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm fully aware of the ammonia dangers humble, I was more after advice on my DT. As that's where the parameters came from.
My QT tank will now have carbon run threw it and a 25% water change tomorrow.

Gonna go to my LFS and see if I can pre order what I want rather than buying on impulse.
Thinking about a dog face puffer and a potters angel.

Cheers for your help humblefish, you've been a great help and reassurance I'm doing the best I can

OP
OP
A

Alzy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's ya thoughts on a bubble stone in QT?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's ya thoughts on a bubble stone in QT?

Anything that breaks the surface of the water provides gas exchange and is a good thing IMO. Bubble stone accomplishes that just fine, especially if it's cranked up. However, a powerhead pointed towards the surface of the water does it more efficiently and without all the microbubbles/salt creep everywhere. ;)

OP
OP
A

Alzy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the outflow pipe from the filter box about an inch from surface disturbing it.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 86 76.1%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 13 11.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 7.1%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back